Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

senators4life

Why Do Players Tape Their Stick?

10 posts in this topic

Oh boy, taping the stick... a lot of it is personal preference. The short answer is that players tape (and wax) the blade of there stick to help protect it from moisture (water, wood..bad), as well as for the friction between the tape and the puck (helps with control, some will say). The fact is that there are as many ways to tape a stick as there are hockey players and most have their own "special" way that they like it. Hockey tape is an essential part of your gear. I prefer the black tape for my stick, but use the clear tape to hold my shin guards in place.

When i skate out i like the feel of no tape. But in goal I tape it in a lot of random places. Also need an X on the front of the stick somewhere.

Honestly intercepting passes becomes easier with the cushion provided by taping the blade. The puck doesn't clank and bang off the blade as easily. Also for the same cushion effect puck handling is more comfortable and fluid feeling.

As mentioned above, increased friction does help the puck stay on the blade.

Honestly intercepting passes becomes easier with the cushion provided by taping the blade. The puck doesn't clank and bang off the blade as easily. Also for the same cushion effect puck handling is more comfortable and fluid feeling.

As mentioned above, increased friction does help the puck stay on the blade.

so true. with tape i "feel" the puck more when puck handling.

I taped my stick. Played a couple of games without tape (though I'm not too good at hockey....need to improve) a teammate suggested taping up my stick. Previously, the puck kept slipping and it'd bang my stick and miss it up. The tape helped pad the blade from the puck and also on the shaft less slipping occurred.

in addition to puck handling i've found that the tape helps me with my wrist shot as i can often get the puck up off the ice quicker and can get the puck higher with the tape than without. and yes, tape the kid's stick as soon as possible so he can get used to playing with it.

When playing goal, the tape absorbs a lot of the blow on the shot, so I don't deflect out a juicy rebound when someone cranks it off the stick when it's covering the 5 hole.