SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Fan Territory

Why Do Players Tape Their Stick?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 senators4life

senators4life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

it helps your shot and the control of the puck!

#2 THE_GOAL_HORN

THE_GOAL_HORN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:46 PM

When playing goal, the tape absorbs a lot of the blow on the shot, so I don't deflect out a juicy rebound when someone cranks it off the stick when it's covering the 5 hole.

#3 ArsenalHole

ArsenalHole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (ding @ Oct 17 2008, 11:28 AM)

Honestly intercepting passes becomes easier with the cushion provided by taping the blade. The puck doesn't clank and bang off the blade as easily. Also for the same cushion effect puck handling is more comfortable and fluid feeling.
As mentioned above, increased friction does help the puck stay on the blade.

so true. with tape i "feel" the puck more when puck handling.

#4 Drew10481

Drew10481

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

in addition to puck handling i've found that the tape helps me with my wrist shot as i can often get the puck up off the ice quicker and can get the puck higher with the tape than without. and yes, tape the kid's stick as soon as possible so he can get used to playing with it.

#5 SilentMoon

SilentMoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

I taped my stick. Played a couple of games without tape (though I'm not too good at hockey....need to improve) a teammate suggested taping up my stick. Previously, the puck kept slipping and it'd bang my stick and miss it up. The tape helped pad the blade from the puck and also on the shaft less slipping occurred.

#6 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,252 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

Oh boy, taping the stick... a lot of it is personal preference. The short answer is that players tape (and wax) the blade of there stick to help protect it from moisture (water, wood..bad), as well as for the friction between the tape and the puck (helps with control, some will say). The fact is that there are as many ways to tape a stick as there are hockey players and most have their own "special" way that they like it. Hockey tape is an essential part of your gear. I prefer the black tape for my stick, but use the clear tape to hold my shin guards in place.
In the past this would have pained me to do this, but I can say with all sincerity, the San Francisco Forty-Niners were absolutely no fluke. They earned every bit of that two seed and deserve to host a playoff game. Absolutely one of the best in the NFL this season and were so because of a balanced, ball control focused offense, awesome special teams, and truly one of the best defenses ever. Harbaugh a shoe in for Coach of the Year. Congratulations to the Forty Niners and their fans. It has been a long time coming. -SC

#7 lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:10 AM

Would you recommend taping a kid's stick right when he begins learning to play?

#8 ianboldon

ianboldon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

When i skate out i like the feel of no tape. But in goal I tape it in a lot of random places. Also need an X on the front of the stick somewhere.

#9 LeChuck

LeChuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE (lostinthewoods @ Jan 25 2009, 08:10 AM)

Would you recommend taping a kid's stick right when he begins learning to play?

Yup.

#10 ding-1

ding-1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

Honestly intercepting passes becomes easier with the cushion provided by taping the blade. The puck doesn't clank and bang off the blade as easily. Also for the same cushion effect puck handling is more comfortable and fluid feeling.
As mentioned above, increased friction does help the puck stay on the blade.

Image Map