SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Ot: Iphone 3g

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#21 jvonasek

jvonasek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

iphone 2.0 software finally available! It took Apple all day to fix their servers

#22 PlaywithGutz

PlaywithGutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:53 PM

any advice.....

I have a client that wants to be able to have his field contractors/personnel be able to shoot pics of jobs and send them or upload them either to a hosted service where they can retrieve them at the Corp Office or have them sent directly to the Corp Office......

They have heard that Apple's new MobileME or MeCloud would be a suitable solution......any thoughts?????
SJ's Mr. Playoff's 2012 Numbers...JR-Nail-Head....
0 0 0 -1 4 0
Posted Image

#23 PlaywithGutz

PlaywithGutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

who has the most reliable 3g network?
SJ's Mr. Playoff's 2012 Numbers...JR-Nail-Head....
0 0 0 -1 4 0
Posted Image

#24 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:28 PM

People line up around the block to buy the latest and greatest and be able to say "I'm the first on my block", then scurry home and like a kid on christmas tear open the box, plug it in, and try to activate it.

The only difference is that there are probably a couple hundred thousand people all doing the same thing.

And you wonder why the servers are slow. Doy...

Anybody remember this place on July 1st?

And I agree. The iPhone is a nice toy and mine is worth every penny I paid for it (got it for free). Quite frankly I would never pay $200 to talk on the phone. Just not that important to me.

iBrick.. I like that.
In the past this would have pained me to do this, but I can say with all sincerity, the San Francisco Forty-Niners were absolutely no fluke. They earned every bit of that two seed and deserve to host a playoff game. Absolutely one of the best in the NFL this season and were so because of a balanced, ball control focused offense, awesome special teams, and truly one of the best defenses ever. Harbaugh a shoe in for Coach of the Year. Congratulations to the Forty Niners and their fans. It has been a long time coming. -SC

#25 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (SHARKSFAN3472 @ Jul 11 2008, 03:58 PM)

you realize that apple was making nearly 56% profit per iphone sold.

Overall, Apple products are cool, easy to use, nicely designed, and built to last. Their computers have no equal in the marketplace and iPods are the standard by which others are judged. Like any other tech device, they have their problems and they do malfunction.

And before you start railing on me about durability, let me tell you a story. I got my iPhone when they first came out (I work for Apple, thanks Steve!). Anyway, it was still practically new. I'd had it for maybe two weeks. I was giving my son a bath and had the phone in my shirt pocket. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what happened..SPLASH, right in the tub, completely submerged. Long story short, fast forward a year or so and the phone is still working just fine. Try that with a Trio.

And no, I don't want to start an Apple vs. PC debate. If you like your computer and does what you want it to do, great, I'm very happy for you. I was a long time PC user and thought of Mac's as pretty much toys... until I used OSX. That sold me. Night and day to OS9 or any versions of Windows I've ever used. I love it and that is my preference. Oh, and Garageband is a kick in the pants...
In the past this would have pained me to do this, but I can say with all sincerity, the San Francisco Forty-Niners were absolutely no fluke. They earned every bit of that two seed and deserve to host a playoff game. Absolutely one of the best in the NFL this season and were so because of a balanced, ball control focused offense, awesome special teams, and truly one of the best defenses ever. Harbaugh a shoe in for Coach of the Year. Congratulations to the Forty Niners and their fans. It has been a long time coming. -SC

#26 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (irbelikewall @ Jul 11 2008, 04:07 PM)

It is ridiculous.  my father used to be an exec at a company called RIO, which i believe still exists, and they actually made the very first mp3 player ever that held something like 15 songs on a player the size of a 20 gig ipod.  That was a good 15 years ago.  You are trying to tell me they haven't figured out a cost effective way to produce mp3 players by now...come on

Um, you can get an mp3 player for like $10 if you want a cheap one. A shuffle holds 1GB (like 200 songs) for $60. iPod's do a lot more than play music now, that's for sure!

#27 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

No, you won't see Garageband for Windows. But hey, if you buy a mac you can still run your favorite windows apps, too!

#28 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE (mk391419 @ Jul 11 2008, 09:37 PM)

Bah!  That's disappointing.

I am on my second PC laptop in about 3 years.  If this one craps out like the other one, I am going to have to take the leap back to the world of Apple with VMWare Fusion to run Windows.  At least they are more reliable and don't constantly crash at the most inconvenient times.

GarageBand is a native application that is "stock" with any Mac. Their are upgrades available, but if you just want to mess around with digital recording, it's a pretty cool thing. I can plug my guitar right into the computer (well, I had to spend $3 on a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor). It has built in amp modeling (not great, but not bad, either) and it is very compatible with my line 6 gearbox software (awesome, by the way). I have also used the headphone out on my Vox AVT and that makes for a bitchin' pre-amp.

I have a buddy, who is much more into the recording end than me, that uses an Alesis 8 channel firewire interface and gets terrific results.

As far as you PC's crapping out, well, Mac's poop out, too. A hard drive is a hard drive and they begin failing the second you start using them. It is their nature. But the Mac's operating system is very stable and while I've heard of more being written, virus' are pretty much non-existent.

Like I said, I am not one to start a debate. If your machine works and does the things you need, then there is no reason to change. It just so happened that I started to work for Apple about the time my last PC took a dump. They had just released the new iMac with OSX so I thought "what the heck, I'll give it try" (the discount didn't hurt, either).

Well, I'm sold. I've had it for almost 4 years now, and it still works great. I'll retire it (give it to the kids) soon and replace it with a new one, or maybe a macbook pro. What I like about them is that out of the box they just work. Plug them in, connect to the internet, and viola, you can do just about anything you need to, without being bogged down trying to sort through a bunch of trial software and poop you don't need. I know, I know.. "it's not that hard to get rid of all that stuff" or whatever, but for ease of use for someone that doesn't have a ton of knowledge about computers, they can't be beat... and they are a very powerful machine for someone that is "in the know".

Oh, and the iMac is SO user repairable it's unreal. My superdrive took a poop (yes, Macs break, too) and I had to replace it. 8 screws. Done. Took me less than 10 minutes.

#29 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

The big difference is that the iPhone is a computer with a phone application. Others are a phone with a computer chip. The iPhone runs on OSX and is continually updated. I will stop short of saying that it is "never obsolete", however I just updated my first generation iPhone to 2.0 and it's really cool. Check out some of the apps available for it, many for free.

There is one app, called Shazam (free) that allows you to record a sample of a song that you hear (you know like "wow, this is a cool song, I wonder who it is?) and it will take that sample, search, and tell you the name of the song and the artist within seconds. Try that with a blackberry.

#30 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Obsessed Sharks Fan (.com) @ Jul 15 2008, 07:05 PM)

I saw Shazam, but this app called Midomi does all that AND more.

You can SING or even HUM a song and it will then search and find it (most of the time). you can then stream it and then locate other songs on the album/by the artist.  it's amazing and can make a really fun drinking game!

That's very cool. I'll have to get that one. I just updated and have been sifting through all the apps in between arguing with Sam. I just hope I don't have any actual work to do this week!

#31 dnmex

dnmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,469 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:47 AM

Our phone guy here at work tried to update his first-generation iPhone this morning. Plugged it in and now it is indeed an iBrick.

I think I'll pass on buying an iPhone until things are a bit more stable. How many years do you think that will be?

#32 dnmex

dnmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,469 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

My turn to ask... what about Verizon phones? I will be getting a new phone in August and would love a SmartPhone to help keep my BBQ biz stuff organized. I have been reading up on the Blackberry, Palm and the Motorola Q phones. What do you suggest?

#33 dnmex

dnmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,469 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (SHARKSFAN3472 @ Jul 11 2008, 01:41 PM)

You are in luck. Verizon has a LOT of new devices coming to market soon. Stay away form the MOTO q device. thats an older device and has some issues. You could always go for the Moto M device. i have tested that device extensively and its pretty solid. its great for doing to basics, email, texting, browsing the web ect. its also a good MP3 player. Battery life is not great but its better then the iphone. Without violating my NDA i can tell you that samsung and Motorola both have very COOL new devices coming to verizon within the next year.

Samsung has been cranking out great devices left and right. The Samsung i760 is a Verizon device. it has a slider keyboard and is wifi capable.  it is a touch screen (Pocket PC) device and has decent resolution.  you're best bet on verizon would be to get one of the samsung or newer motorola devices.

Excellent advice... Thank YOU! biggrin.gif

#34 k-watkins

k-watkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (Twisted @ Jul 11 2008, 12:47 PM)

Our phone guy here at work tried to update his first-generation iPhone this morning. Plugged it in and now it is indeed an iBrick.

I think I'll pass on buying an iPhone until things are a bit more stable. How many years do you think that will be?

it already has the capability of being stable, AT&T is just a greedy company and doesn't want their customers to have a restriction free phone.  I don't know the technical details, but there are two different cell phone networks.  AT&T runs their phones on the crappy non worldwide network.  Blackberry's run on the world wide GSN? network.  

I read an article about this asian kid who can actually program the iPhone to be on the GSN network.  iPhones do not work in Europe because of their restrictive network so this rich European sent the kid a car to program his iPhone to work.  crazy people with their money...

#35 k-watkins

k-watkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (marchment_fan @ Jul 11 2008, 03:20 PM)

Thanks.  I won't be using it for work.  Work ain't paying for it, so it's just for personal.

I am not big on the touchscreen, which is why I was leaning towards the blackberry over the iPhone.  Mainly I will just use it for my phone, texting, my personal email and light web browsing - basically check tsn.ca/nhl.

touch screens suck!  i cracked mine... mad.gif

#36 k-watkins

k-watkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (SHARKSFAN3472 @ Jul 11 2008, 03:43 PM)

only if you abuse them. i have been testing phones/PDA devices for years and only have broken one screen. i set it screen down in my drawer ontop of something and in the morning it was broken.

yea mine fell off the couch and instead of letting it fall on the soft carpet i decided to test my superman like reflexes and i caught it right into the leg of a chair...so frustrating

#37 k-watkins

k-watkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (SHARKSFAN3472 @ Jul 11 2008, 03:59 PM)

Ouch... pda devices and hard surfaces are not a good combination.

yea my palm trio sucks now that the touch screen doesn't work.  oh well at least my 2 yr thing is up soon so i get a new one.

#38 k-watkins

k-watkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (SHARKSFAN3472 @ Jul 11 2008, 04:20 PM)

unfortunately its looking like palm is going to scrap the Palm operating system so that particular family of devices will be going the way of the dinosaur soon.

I actually got the one with the windows operating system because i didnt like palm's set up.  The jury is still out on my next phone, but it won't be an iPhone until they work globally.  Or until I can pay that asian kid enough to update the software on it... wink.gif

#39 k-watkins

k-watkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (SHARKSFAN3472 @ Jul 11 2008, 04:28 PM)

well... if you wait a little while samsung and motorola are putting out devices that will be dual band CDMA and GSM, meaning that you wont be tied to verizon or sprint only. just pop in any sim, select the connection settings and go.

Edit: and dont get the next GEN windows mobile device from palm. nothing but trouble.

thanks for the advice.  I haven't decided if I am going to stick with the PDA style or go back to the cheap simply make a call version.  It will all depend on how big of a discount i get on it.  

I was laughing so hard when 2 months after the iPhone came out the lowered the price by $200.  It always gets to me how apple manipulates all of their prices.  They can make all of their products so cheaply, yet they charge you and me up the a$$ for it all.  Time to wise up people...

#40 k-watkins

k-watkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (SHARKSFAN3472 @ Jul 11 2008, 04:58 PM)

you realize that apple was making nearly 56% profit per iphone sold.

It is ridiculous.  my father used to be an exec at a company called RIO, which i believe still exists, and they actually made the very first mp3 player ever that held something like 15 songs on a player the size of a 20 gig ipod.  That was a good 15 years ago.  You are trying to tell me they haven't figured out a cost effective way to produce mp3 players by now...come on