Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHARKSFAN3472

Ot: Iphone 3g

53 posts in this topic

well... if you wait a little while samsung and motorola are putting out devices that will be dual band CDMA and GSM, meaning that you wont be tied to verizon or sprint only. just pop in any sim, select the connection settings and go.

Edit: and dont get the next GEN windows mobile device from palm. nothing but trouble.

thanks for the advice. I haven't decided if I am going to stick with the PDA style or go back to the cheap simply make a call version. It will all depend on how big of a discount i get on it.

I was laughing so hard when 2 months after the iPhone came out the lowered the price by $200. It always gets to me how apple manipulates all of their prices. They can make all of their products so cheaply, yet they charge you and me up the a$$ for it all. Time to wise up people...

QUOTE (irbelikewall @ Jul 11 2008, 03:49 PM)

thanks for the advice. I haven't decided if I am going to stick with the PDA style or go back to the cheap simply make a call version. It will all depend on how big of a discount i get on it.

I was laughing so hard when 2 months after the iPhone came out the lowered the price by $200. It always gets to me how apple manipulates all of their prices. They can make all of their products so cheaply, yet they charge you and me up the a$$ for it all. Time to wise up people...

you realize that apple was making nearly 56% profit per iphone sold.

It is ridiculous. my father used to be an exec at a company called RIO, which i believe still exists, and they actually made the very first mp3 player ever that held something like 15 songs on a player the size of a 20 gig ipod. That was a good 15 years ago. You are trying to tell me they haven't figured out a cost effective way to produce mp3 players by now...come on

QUOTE (SHARKSFAN3472 @ Jul 11 2008, 03:58 PM)

Overall, Apple products are cool, easy to use, nicely designed, and built to last. Their computers have no equal in the marketplace and iPods are the standard by which others are judged. Like any other tech device, they have their problems and they do malfunction.

And before you start railing on me about durability, let me tell you a story. I got my iPhone when they first came out (I work for Apple, thanks Steve!). Anyway, it was still practically new. I'd had it for maybe two weeks. I was giving my son a bath and had the phone in my shirt pocket. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what happened..SPLASH, right in the tub, completely submerged. Long story short, fast forward a year or so and the phone is still working just fine. Try that with a Trio.

And no, I don't want to start an Apple vs. PC debate. If you like your computer and does what you want it to do, great, I'm very happy for you. I was a long time PC user and thought of Mac's as pretty much toys... until I used OSX. That sold me. Night and day to OS9 or any versions of Windows I've ever used. I love it and that is my preference. Oh, and Garageband is a kick in the pants...

QUOTE (irbelikewall @ Jul 11 2008, 04:07 PM)

It is ridiculous. my father used to be an exec at a company called RIO, which i believe still exists, and they actually made the very first mp3 player ever that held something like 15 songs on a player the size of a 20 gig ipod. That was a good 15 years ago. You are trying to tell me they haven't figured out a cost effective way to produce mp3 players by now...come on

Um, you can get an mp3 player for like $10 if you want a cheap one. A shuffle holds 1GB (like 200 songs) for $60. iPod's do a lot more than play music now, that's for sure!

QUOTE (SHARKSFAN3472 @ Jul 11 2008, 03:58 PM)

Not surprised by that.

QUOTE (Spittin' Chicklet's @ Jul 11 2008, 06:42 PM)

Overall, Apple products are cool, easy to use, nicely designed, and built to last. Their computers have no equal in the marketplace and iPods are the standard by which others are judged. Like any other tech device, they have their problems and they do malfunction.

And before you start railing on me about durability, let me tell you a story. I got my iPhone when they first came out (I work for Apple, thanks Steve!). Anyway, it was still practically new. I'd had it for maybe two weeks. I was giving my son a bath and had the phone in my shirt pocket. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what happened..SPLASH, right in the tub, completely submerged. Long story short, fast forward a year or so and the phone is still working just fine. Try that with a Trio.

And no, I don't want to start an Apple vs. PC debate. If you like your computer and does what you want it to do, great, I'm very happy for you. I was a long time PC user and thought of Mac's as pretty much toys... until I used OSX. That sold me. Night and day to OS9 or any versions of Windows I've ever used. I love it and that is my preference. Oh, and Garageband is a kick in the pants...

Garageband does kick the pants of any similar software packages on Windows for similar cost. Are they planning to ever make a Windows version?

QUOTE (Spittin' Chicklet's @ Jul 11 2008, 09:12 PM)

No, you won't see Garageband for Windows. But hey, if you buy a mac you can still run your favorite windows apps, too!

Bah! That's disappointing.

I am on my second PC laptop in about 3 years. If this one craps out like the other one, I am going to have to take the leap back to the world of Apple with VMWare Fusion to run Windows. At least they are more reliable and don't constantly crash at the most inconvenient times.

I personally could care less. they are all tools to get jobs done, and they are all neat in their own way.

You mean like a razor or a electric shaver? I agree.... :)

QUOTE (SHARKSFAN3472 @ Jul 11 2008, 09:43 PM)

I personally could care less. they are all tools to get jobs done, and they are all neat in their own way.

Certainly. Just some accomplish jobs for some better than others.

I bought a Diamond RIO PMP300 the week it came out. It had a whole 32MB of storage! 12-18 songs depending on the quality. At the time, that was the coolest thing. The concept of a music player that didn't skip when you walked with it in your pocket was pretty incredible.

I bought a Diamond RIO PMP300 the week it came out. It had a whole 32MB of storage! 12-18 songs depending on the quality. At the time, that was the coolest thing. The concept of a music player that didn't skip when you walked with it in your pocket was pretty incredible.

it is pretty funny to see how far those products have come. lesson in business too that the first mover doesn't always take the spoils.

any advice.....

I have a client that wants to be able to have his field contractors/personnel be able to shoot pics of jobs and send them or upload them either to a hosted service where they can retrieve them at the Corp Office or have them sent directly to the Corp Office......

They have heard that Apple's new MobileME or MeCloud would be a suitable solution......any thoughts?????

The Apple store had a line all the way out of the mall thanks to slow activation times. The AT&T store nearby won't have any iPhones in stock for another 7 days.

I'm in no hurry to drop $300. It's crazy what some people will line up for...

QUOTE (mk391419 @ Jul 11 2008, 09:37 PM)

Bah! That's disappointing.

I am on my second PC laptop in about 3 years. If this one craps out like the other one, I am going to have to take the leap back to the world of Apple with VMWare Fusion to run Windows. At least they are more reliable and don't constantly crash at the most inconvenient times.

GarageBand is a native application that is "stock" with any Mac. Their are upgrades available, but if you just want to mess around with digital recording, it's a pretty cool thing. I can plug my guitar right into the computer (well, I had to spend $3 on a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor). It has built in amp modeling (not great, but not bad, either) and it is very compatible with my line 6 gearbox software (awesome, by the way). I have also used the headphone out on my Vox AVT and that makes for a bitchin' pre-amp.

I have a buddy, who is much more into the recording end than me, that uses an Alesis 8 channel firewire interface and gets terrific results.

As far as you PC's crapping out, well, Mac's poop out, too. A hard drive is a hard drive and they begin failing the second you start using them. It is their nature. But the Mac's operating system is very stable and while I've heard of more being written, virus' are pretty much non-existent.

Like I said, I am not one to start a debate. If your machine works and does the things you need, then there is no reason to change. It just so happened that I started to work for Apple about the time my last PC took a dump. They had just released the new iMac with OSX so I thought "what the heck, I'll give it try" (the discount didn't hurt, either).

Well, I'm sold. I've had it for almost 4 years now, and it still works great. I'll retire it (give it to the kids) soon and replace it with a new one, or maybe a macbook pro. What I like about them is that out of the box they just work. Plug them in, connect to the internet, and viola, you can do just about anything you need to, without being bogged down trying to sort through a bunch of trial software and poop you don't need. I know, I know.. "it's not that hard to get rid of all that stuff" or whatever, but for ease of use for someone that doesn't have a ton of knowledge about computers, they can't be beat... and they are a very powerful machine for someone that is "in the know".

Oh, and the iMac is SO user repairable it's unreal. My superdrive took a poop (yes, Macs break, too) and I had to replace it. 8 screws. Done. Took me less than 10 minutes.

got mine at stonestown mall on saturday. my brother and i were the buyers but we had our girlfriends there so each couple took turns shopping and eating. was really no big deal. i needed a new phone and i use the internet more than any other feature so I was down with the 3G.

so instead of spending my saturday posting on the sharks board like many of you hockey loving nerds here, I got brownie points with the GF for being at a mall and got myself a very nice new toy.

Btw, the battery is ridiculously bad on the iphone if you have it on 3G all day. i mean, it's REALLY bad. pretty disappointing. but everything else is pretty cool minus the obvious drawbacks with the little things with copy/paste, e-mail being far behind blackberry's capabilities, etc. But everyone knows that going in, no surprises there.

got mine at stonestown mall on saturday. my brother and i were the buyers but we had our girlfriends there so each couple took turns shopping and eating. was really no big deal. i needed a new phone and i use the internet more than any other feature so I was down with the 3G.

so instead of spending my saturday posting on the sharks board like many of you hockey loving nerds here, I got brownie points with the GF for being at a mall and got myself a very nice new toy.

Btw, the battery is ridiculously bad on the iphone if you have it on 3G all day. i mean, it's REALLY bad. pretty disappointing. but everything else is pretty cool minus the obvious drawbacks with the little things with copy/paste, e-mail being far behind blackberry's capabilities, etc. But everyone knows that going in, no surprises there.

And the reason you wasted your money is?

All of the above..

QUOTE (PlaywithGutz @ Jul 12 2008, 01:53 PM)

any advice.....

I have a client that wants to be able to have his field contractors/personnel be able to shoot pics of jobs and send them or upload them either to a hosted service where they can retrieve them at the Corp Office or have them sent directly to the Corp Office......

They have heard that Apple's new MobileME or MeCloud would be a suitable solution......any thoughts?????

just about any phone or PDA thats been released in the last 3 or 4 years have cameras. the newer devices have up to a 2 mega pixel camera. all these devices have the capabilities to send the pics taken on the camera to any email address (MMS). take you're pick, they pretty much all have this feature.

The big difference is that the iPhone is a computer with a phone application. Others are a phone with a computer chip. The iPhone runs on OSX and is continually updated. I will stop short of saying that it is "never obsolete", however I just updated my first generation iPhone to 2.0 and it's really cool. Check out some of the apps available for it, many for free.

There is one app, called Shazam (free) that allows you to record a sample of a song that you hear (you know like "wow, this is a cool song, I wonder who it is?) and it will take that sample, search, and tell you the name of the song and the artist within seconds. Try that with a blackberry.

QUOTE (Spittin' Chicklet's @ Jul 15 2008, 11:13 AM)

The big difference is that the iPhone is a computer with a phone application. Others are a phone with a computer chip. The iPhone runs on OSX and is continually updated. I will stop short of saying that it is "never obsolete", however I just updated my first generation iPhone to 2.0 and it's really cool. Check out some of the apps available for it, many for free.

There is one app, called Shazam (free) that allows you to record a sample of a song that you hear (you know like "wow, this is a cool song, I wonder who it is?) and it will take that sample, search, and tell you the name of the song and the artist within seconds. Try that with a blackberry.

just to clarify, ALL pda devices regardless of OS or manufacturer are computers. these little devices have more computing power then the early PC's and macs.

QUOTE (Spittin' Chicklet's @ Jul 15 2008, 12:13 PM)

I saw Shazam, but this app called Midomi does all that AND more.

You can SING or even HUM a song and it will then search and find it (most of the time). you can then stream it and then locate other songs on the album/by the artist. it's amazing and can make a really fun drinking game!