Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cmhshark

Its Hockey Time Social fall of 2017

1,033 posts in this topic

Hockey season is upon us so shouldn't we have a new social where we don't talk hockey??

Ummm...err.....

Hockey in the title... Two mentions of hockey in the OP...

With this post, hockey is mentioned seven times already in a no hockey thread...

Yo peeps!

Well that was craptastic last night. Anyway I guess the D-Backs are the only hope to take down the Doyers ehh?!

16 hours ago, HOOCH2173 said:

Image result for HOCKEY

Both of those "hockey" players are probably faster than most of the "hockey" players on the Sharks...

Greetings from Prague. Maybe I can find a hockey game here. 

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, danvilleshark said:

You're odds are better there than here!

8 hours ago, danvilleshark said:

I hear there is quite a bit of "talent" there.

Post pics to prove or disprove please.

Is it a good idea to try to cut cardboard with a circular saw? I've got a boatload in my garage and the recycling won't pick it unless it's cut into pieces not larger than 1ydx1yd...

38 minutes ago, cjelli said:

Is it a good idea to try to cut cardboard with a circular saw? I've got a boatload in my garage and the recycling won't pick it unless it's cut into pieces not larger than 1ydx1yd...

I'd say no. 

15 hours ago, danvilleshark said:

One of my absolute favorite cities!

When I was there I stumbled across a bar that Jagr owned.  It had hockey in the title I think, but can't remember for certain.  You had to walk downstairs to get in it. 

2 hours ago, cjelli said:

Box cutter.  Just be careful not to stab your self in the thigh like I did.

50 minutes ago, marchment-fan said:

One of my absolute favorite cities!

When I was there I stumbled across a bar that Jagr owned.  It had hockey in the title I think, but can't remember for certain.  You had to walk downstairs to get in it. 

Think we are going there tonight. 

19 minutes ago, HOOCH2173 said:

See, this is why I hold out hope that time travel is actually possible. We always claim that if it were possible, we'd have had visitors from the future already. But every time someone claims to have traveled back from the future, we think they're crazy and lock em up.

You go future man. Tell your story....

15 minutes ago, seattle__sam said:

See, this is why I hold out hope that time travel is actually possible. We always claim that if it were possible, we'd have had visitors from the future already. But every time someone claims to have traveled back from the future, we think they're crazy and lock em up.

You go future man. Tell your story....

Wish they would have asked him if the Sharks win the Cup before 2048, or does the drought continue?

Marty McFly was also smart to bring back a sports almanac back to 1984. Oh, the money you could make in Vegas with such a simple magazine.

10 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

Wish they would have asked him if the Sharks win the Cup before 2048, or does the drought continue?

Marty McFly was also smart to bring back a sports almanac back to 1984. Oh, the money you could make in Vegas with such a simple magazine.

That'd be my plan.

Of course, as soon as you start making bets you are changing history ever so slightly. It's like the observer effect, only with a touch more direct influence. Make enough bets and you'd have enough of an influence that eventually the book would be next to useless.

So go big early.

So did anyone else catch Gerald's Game on Netflix? I thought they did a pretty good job from the psychological point of it. But man that scene with the hand. yikes!

It's time to cash out the Bail Fund

Ready for next-level Hawaiian living? Grab your checkbook and fork over a quarter-billion dollars for a 55,575-acre ranch on Hawaii's fifth largest island, Molokai. Molokai Ranch occupies roughly 35 percent of the island's western end and just hit the market with a cool $260 million price tag. It also includes two resorts, pastureland, a tropical rainforest, two towns, and more than 20 miles of private beach.

But there is one caveat. "We have a very strong activist community on this island," said Richard ("Rikki") Cooke III, a Molokai resident and descendant of one of the ranch's first owners. "They don't want change, and they don't want outsiders."

Molokai-Ranch-Hawaii1.jpeg

Richard Cooke III/Courtesy Carvill Sotheby's International Realty

Molokai-Ranch-Hawaii2.jpeg

The ranch was first a sheep ranch owned by the Hawaiian royal family. In 1884, when the dynasty's last surviving member died, hundreds of thousands of acres across numerous islands became an estate. Years later, the portion of land on Molokai was sold to a group of Hawaiian businessmen and transformed into a sugar plantation. Finally, one decade later, businessman Charles M. Cooke bought out his partners and founded Molokai Ranch.

During the ranch's prime, it produced pineapples on 14,000 acres, the Kaluakoi resort hotel was active, and there was a successful farming operation.

After a number of bumps in the road, the ranch was ultimately acquired by a New Zealand-based investment holding company, which later became Singapore-based GL Ltd. Today, a crew of only a dozen people maintain the land and tend the cattle.

Molokai-Ranch-Hawaii3.jpeg

Molokai-Ranch-Hawaii4.jpeg

In an email about the sale of the property, GL Ltd. stated: "We find that we presently do not possess the required expertise nor resources to bring the Molokai Ranch assets back to their full potential."

The company's statement continued, "To protect the legacy of Molokai Ranch, we prefer not to break up the assets by disposing of them on an individual basis. GL believes that, by partnering with Sotheby's, it will be able to identify a new owner with a new vision for Molokai Ranch. The residents of Molokai can only benefit from such a new owner."

The property's listing agent, Scott Carvill of the Carvill Sotheby's International Realty, alluded at what kind of buyer may be interested in a property of this nature. "The most obvious target is an ultra-high-net-worth individual who sees this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," he said. "They wouldn't necessarily [buy it] for its [return on investment] as much as something to hold in the family, or land-manage, or to keep through a conservation-type approach."

And although the pricey property has been on the market for just more than a week, it may not last long. "We've had interest at an amazing rate," Carvill commented. "I can barely keep up with the phone calls."

Carvill also met with local leaders to find out who their ideal buyer is. "They were very realistic. They told me they want a buyer to come in, appreciate the community, and maybe participate in some endeavors with cultural and Hawaiian heritage," he said.

5 minutes ago, Fugazi said:

It's time to cash out the Bail Fund

Ready for next-level Hawaiian living? Grab your checkbook and fork over a quarter-billion dollars for a 55,575-acre ranch on Hawaii's fifth largest island, Molokai. Molokai Ranch occupies roughly 35 percent of the island's western end and just hit the market with a cool $260 million price tag. It also includes two resorts, pastureland, a tropical rainforest, two towns, and more than 20 miles of private beach.

But there is one caveat. "We have a very strong activist community on this island," said Richard ("Rikki") Cooke III, a Molokai resident and descendant of one of the ranch's first owners. "They don't want change, and they don't want outsiders."

Molokai-Ranch-Hawaii1.jpeg

Molokai-Ranch-Hawaii2.jpeg

The ranch was first a sheep ranch owned by the Hawaiian royal family. In 1884, when the dynasty's last surviving member died, hundreds of thousands of acres across numerous islands became an estate. Years later, the portion of land on Molokai was sold to a group of Hawaiian businessmen and transformed into a sugar plantation. Finally, one decade later, businessman Charles M. Cooke bought out his partners and founded Molokai Ranch.

During the ranch's prime, it produced pineapples on 14,000 acres, the Kaluakoi resort hotel was active, and there was a successful farming operation.

After a number of bumps in the road, the ranch was ultimately acquired by a New Zealand-based investment holding company, which later became Singapore-based GL Ltd. Today, a crew of only a dozen people maintain the land and tend the cattle.

Molokai-Ranch-Hawaii3.jpeg

Molokai-Ranch-Hawaii4.jpeg

In an email about the sale of the property, GL Ltd. stated: "We find that we presently do not possess the required expertise nor resources to bring the Molokai Ranch assets back to their full potential."

The company's statement continued, "To protect the legacy of Molokai Ranch, we prefer not to break up the assets by disposing of them on an individual basis. GL believes that, by partnering with Sotheby's, it will be able to identify a new owner with a new vision for Molokai Ranch. The residents of Molokai can only benefit from such a new owner."

The property's listing agent, Scott Carvill of the Carvill Sotheby's International Realty, alluded at what kind of buyer may be interested in a property of this nature. "The most obvious target is an ultra-high-net-worth individual who sees this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," he said. "They wouldn't necessarily [buy it] for its [return on investment] as much as something to hold in the family, or land-manage, or to keep through a conservation-type approach."

And although the pricey property has been on the market for just more than a week, it may not last long. "We've had interest at an amazing rate," Carvill commented. "I can barely keep up with the phone calls."

Carvill also met with local leaders to find out who their ideal buyer is. "They were very realistic. They told me they want a buyer to come in, appreciate the community, and maybe participate in some endeavors with cultural and Hawaiian heritage," he said.

After you close, I can be your main ranch hand! 👍👍

Humm. Pay $260 million to own some prime real estate - but the no-growth locals get to tell you how to manage your property?  I can invest in a $45k rental unit in Berkeley for that same kind of headache! :lol:

35 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

Sure why not. BYOB

11 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

Humm. Pay $260 million to own some prime real estate - but the no-growth locals get to tell you how to manage your property?  I can invest in a $45k rental unit in Berkeley for that same kind of headache! :lol:

I'm sure the locals will approve you upgrading the hotel, they might want a job

54 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

They should shove it up Zuck's arse and deport him there together with the entire FB staff.

25 minutes ago, Fugazi said:

Sure why not. BYOB

Thanks! You won't regret it!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0