The Official Site of the San Jose Sharks
Sign in to follow this  
cjelli

Chess Thread

when we were kids, many on the Berkeley hockey teams were lucky enough to attend summer hockey school up in British Columbia. well over half the students were canadian kids, many older kids there getting tuned up to attend Major or Provincial junior A camps in the fall, so talent there was off the hook. Roy was a few years older than most of my gang so he was always one of the 'big kids' we looked up to and he had a lot of clout around the hockey camp. one afternoon we were all hanging out at a game table in the dorm playing chess, killing time before next practice. Roy walks through and without saying a word, karate-kicks the entire table over sending chess pieces flying everywhere. "you creeps play poker and blackjack, but none on that f*ggy fkn chess here in THIS hockey dorm.." So safe to say Roy wouldn't approve of a chess thread in a hockey chat. And thank god for that!

As Polsky shows us through some fantastic old black-and-white footage, the best young hockey players in the Soviet Union were drafted into the Red Army, where they trained under the tutelage of the legendary Anatoly Tarasov, a burly bear of a man who preached an innovative, intricate style, with players weaving patterns up and down the ice and passing the puck back and forth, back and forth, until a legitimate scoring opportunity was created.

Tarasov had his players study chess and ballet ...

Now who is a better coach, Anatoly Tarasov or Roy Sommer?

1) who the fk is 'Ray'?

2) shut your pie hole, you're not making sense. Again.

1) My phone is so sick of that guy, it refuses to spell his name right.

2) No coach who knows good hockey would be so ragged up so often in the Calder cup by .. well everybody , really.

uh, Tarasov died like 20 years ago...so I'm going with roy. :lol:

Sure. The thug appeals to you.

I heard once Kasparov saying that one of the tough aspects of chess as a competition is that when you lose, you sort of acknowledge an intellectual superiority of someone else, and it's much tougher thing to accept than the physical superiority. The gringo illustrates that thesis perfectly.

I heard once Kasparov saying that one of the tough aspects of chess as a competition is that when you lose, you sort of acknowledge an intellectual superiority of someone else, and it's much tougher thing to accept than the physical superiority. The gringo illustrates that thesis perfectly.

Let me remind you we're debating a fkn chess thread within a hockey chat.

the association argument you've tried to make already reflected your intellectual inferiority. You show no concept of how to group things logically on the internet. Therefore you are a stupid man. So stop with all your "I'm so smart" bs.

the association argument you've tried to make already reflected your intellectual inferiority. You shown no concept of how to group things logically on the internet. Therefore you are a stupid man. So stop with all your "I'm so smart" bs.

Hey, at least he managed to get thru an entire post without using his favorite nonsense latin phrase, so there's that...

CBF thought the Canada Fitness Test was a sport when he got a participation pin for his crafty work in the shuttle run. He traded it to the fat kid at recess along with a Dr Randy Gregg hockey card for a bronze patch. Impressive work for a lad with a future bum knee and bean counter mindset. That is big picture thinking

Hey, at least he managed to get thru an entire post without using his favorite nonsense latin phrase, so there's that...

Hey now, here's a fattie for you ...

this_girl_might_be_the_sexiest_chess_player_in_the_world_640_19.jpg

now GTFO

the association argument you've tried to make already reflected your intellectual inferiority. You show no concept of how to group things logically on the internet. Therefore you are a stupid man. So stop with all your "I'm so smart" bs.

The word "logically" doesn't belong to any post that you produce.

Chess should definitely be no stranger for both hockey players and fans. Unless they're dumb like the ejusdem farinae.

We already debate here stranger things, like the American football.

Hey now, here's a fattie for you ...

this_girl_might_be_the_sexiest_chess_player_in_the_world_640_19.jpg

now GTFO

Looks like she lost her queen...even Pimp might get lucky against her...

Two things : losing your queen doesn't have to be a big deal.

and , Are you sure you're not blind?

Blind would be the best case here.

It's nonsense to you because you wouldn't even imagine reading Voltaire, Balzac or Moliere.

Mikhail Tal, the 8th World Champion, had a chapter entirely dedicated to his queen sacrifices in the book of his best games.

tal.jpeg

Maybe one of us will beat the living **** out of you ....and from your steaming heap of bloody flesh and battered bones you can whimper faintly "but this doesn't prove you're smarter" and you will feel all better.

The game appears to be in the early stages and there is a black queen at the side of the board and one still positioned at the right of the King...not sure what rules they are playing under, but the girl is hot,,, so anything is possible...

The game appears to be in the early stages and there is a black queen at the side of the board and one still positioned at the right of the King...not sure what rules they are playing under, but the girl is hot,,, so anything is possible...

The extra queen is the customary convenience if you need to queen your pawn, and you're in time trouble to run around and look for it, dunderhead.

The extra queen is the customary convenience if you need to queen your pawn, and you're in time trouble to run around and look for it, dunderhead.

I'll take your word for it...never heard that one....cant imaging these high level games ever get to the point of converting a pawn..

Anything to avoid additional physical strain.

I do love that Chimp is still using his favorite fallacy, the Fallacy of Composition. If he can find a few good looking chess players, then that means that none of them are fat.

He did the same thing in the car thread. If he can find some Euro cars that aren't shltboxes, then that must mean Europe doesn't make shltoxes.

Do all Euros take a class or something? "How to use Logical Fallacies in everyday life"? Nola must have taken that course.

I'll take you word for it...never heard that one....cant imaging these high level games ever get to the point of converting a pawn..

You can't imagine a thing, guck. You lack the necessary apparatus for that.

As for "lost her queen", you obviously failed to notice there's an extra white queen as well, dunderhead.

I do love that Chimp is still using his favorite fallacy, the Fallacy of Composition. If he can find a few good looking chess players, then that means that none of them are fat.

He did the same thing in the car thread. If he can find some Euro cars that aren't shltboxes, then that must mean Europe doesn't make shltoxes.

Do all Euros take a class or something? "How to use Logical Fallacies in everyday life"? Nola must have taken that course.

None of the top chess players are fat, jinger. Show the evidence there're more fat chess players than fat baseball players.