The Official Site of the San Jose Sharks
Sign in to follow this  
cjelli

Chess Thread

To be precise, only 2nd (Dutch #1), 4th (World Women Champion) and 5th (World Champion) are chess players.

To be precise they are the "professional" chess players.

Working a 10hr day, and then going to the tournament straight from the office turned out to be a big mistake. Played horribly and got steamrolled last night.

Working a 10hr day, and then going to the tournament straight from the office turned out to be a big mistake. Played horribly and got steamrolled last night.

Scholar's Mate?

Scholar's Mate?

Not really, but a couple of decisions that were not bad objectively, but very much unwise given the situation started the downhill.

ST. LOUIS, May 12, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- The United States Chess Federation (USCF) today announced that Fabiano Caruana has initiated the application process to change chess federations, which, when approved, will allow him to play for the United States. Fabiano, who has dual citizenship in the United States and Italy, has been playing for the Italian Chess Federation for a number of years.

"I'm absolutely thrilled to be representing the United States again and working with the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis. I'd like to thank everybody who has made this possible, and I look forward to this exciting new partnership," said Fabiano Caruana."In addition, I want to take this opportunity to express my appreciation and gratitude for the support given to me over the past ten years by the Italian Chess Federation. I wish them all the best for the future."

When complete, this change will unite Fabiano Caruana, who is ranked third in the world, with Hikaru Nakamura, the world's fourth ranked player and Wesley So who is ninth, under the United States flag.

"The addition of Fabiano Caruana to the United States' roster is historic. For the first time in history the United States will have three of the top ten players in world," said Jean Hoffman, Executive Director of the USCF. "Over the past several years, we have made tremendous strides to increase the awareness of, and appreciation for, the great game of chess in the United States. The return of Fabiano to the USCF is another large step toward achieving our goals."

Caruana hopes to compete in his first tournament as a United States player on the second leg of the Grand Chess Tour at the Sinquefield Cup in Saint Louis, Missouri. The Grand Chess Tour is a circuit of international events for the world's best players. The 2015 Tour was created in partnership between the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis (Sinquefield Cup), Tower AS (Norway Chess 2015) and Chess Promotions, Ltd. (London Chess Classic).

Caruana (22), Nakamura (27), So (21), Robson (20), Shankland (23), Naroditsky (19) very formidable depth for the US chess with the oldest player not 28 yet, and with a few older players still going strong too.

yea? and who in here really gives a fk? This is a hockey chat.

Delete this thread already. Jeez.

If this is a hockey chat then why do we talk about Roy Sommer so often?

yea? and who in here really gives a fk? This is a hockey chat.

Delete this thread already. Jeez.

The senilesenior member of ejusdem farinae at his finest.

If this is a hockey chat then why do we talk about Roy Sommer so often?

Because right now, he's a candidate for the head coaching vacancy.

can't be a true hockey chat, you and jelli-belly post too often for that.

The senilesenior member of ejusdem farinae at his finest.

let me check my giveashitometer..

Nope, nothing.

Go find a chess chat group and go permanently join them. please.

Nope, nothing.

We should advertise this place as a Hockey/Chat site that caters to discerning opinions of life and Hockey as a sport.

That would get more traffic here

We should advertise this place as a Hockey/Chat site that caters to discerning opinions of life and Hockey as a sport.

That would get more traffic here

As long as they are chippy people I say bring it on.

Nope, nothing.

Go find yourself a retirement home that takes care of late life retardation, please.

BWahahahaha , once again, if this is a hockey board only, then let's keep your fantasies and fetishes out of it

The true hockey chat is probably lamenting how the old days of "physical play" had gone.

The true hockey chat ™ is probably lamenting how the old days of "physical play" had gone.

when we were kids, many on the Berkeley hockey teams were lucky enough to attend summer hockey school up in British Columbia. well over half the students were canadian kids, many older kids there getting tuned up to attend Major or Provincial junior A camps in the fall, so talent there was off the hook. Roy was a few years older than most of my gang so he was always one of the 'big kids' we looked up to and he had a lot of clout around the hockey camp. one afternoon we were all hanging out at a game table in the dorm playing chess, killing time before next practice. Roy walks through and without saying a word, karate-kicks the entire table over sending chess pieces flying everywhere. "you creeps play poker and blackjack, but none on that f*ggy fkn chess here in THIS hockey dorm.." So safe to say Roy wouldn't approve of a chess thread in a hockey chat. And thank god for that!

when we were kids, many on the Berkeley hockey teams were lucky enough to attend summer hockey school up in British Columbia. well over half the students were canadian kids, many older kids there getting tuned up to attend Major or Provincial junior A camps in the fall, so talent there was off the hook. Roy was a few years older than most of my gang so he was always one of the 'big kids' we looked up to and he had a lot of clout around the hockey camp. one afternoon we were all hanging out at a game table in the dorm playing chess, killing time before next practice. Roy walks through and without saying a word, karate-kicks the entire table over sending chess pieces flying everywhere. "you creeps play poker and blackjack, but none on that f*ggy fkn chess here in THIS hockey dorm.." So safe to say Roy wouldn't approve of a chess thread in a hockey chat. And thank god for that!

Apparently Ray doesn't approve of good hockey on his hockey team.

Or maybe he doesn't know good hockey?

Apparently Ray doesn't approve of good hockey on his hockey team.

Or maybe he doesn't know good hockey?

1) who the fk is 'Ray'?

2) shut your pie hole, you're not making sense. Again.