Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LordNelson

GDT - Sharks @ LA Kings - Saturday, 3/16

315 posts in this topic

Where they stand

Sharks: 12-8-6, 30 points, 3rd Pacific Division, 8th Western Conference

Kings: 14-10-2, 30 points, 2nd Pacific Division, 6th Western Conference

Vitals

Sharks

Goals per game: 2.23 (29th)

Goals-against per game: 2.35 (4th)

Power play: 18.3 percent (12th)

Penalty kill: 86.6 percent (3rd)

Kings

Goals per game: 2.88 (10th)

Goals-against per game: 2.62 (13th)

Power play: 19.8 percent (11th)

Penalty kill: 80.2 percent (18th)

Probable lines

Sharks

Logan Couture - Joe Thornton – Brent Burns

Ryane Clowe - Patrick Marleau – Joe Pavelski

James Sheppard - Scott Gomez – Tommy Wingels

Andrew Desjardins – Michael Handzus – Adam Burish

Matt Irwin – Dan Boyle

Douglas Murray – Brad Stuart

Marc-Edouard Vlasic – Justin Braun

Antti Niemi

Alex Stalock

Kings

Justin Williams – Anze Kopitar – Dustin Brown

Dustin Penner – Mike Richards – Jeff Carter

Trevor Lewis – Jarret Stoll – Dwight King

Kyle Clifford – Colin Fraser – Jordan Nolan

Jake Muzzin – Drew Doughty

Rob Scuderi – Slava Voynov

Alec Martinez – Keaton Ellerby

Jonathan Quick

Jonathan Bernier

Keep an eye on…

Sharks: Logan Couture. The Sharks’ center-turned-top line winger has six goals in his last nine games, and seems to be thoroughly enjoying playing on a line with Brent Burns. Couture has 12 goals on the season, just one behind Patrick Marleau for the team lead, and is heating up. He’s tied with Marleau for second on the Sharks in scoring with 21 points.

Kings: Dustin Brown. The Kings’ captain was relentless on Thursday even after his team trailed by three goals in the third period, and his goal and play late nearly helped lead Los Angeles to a comeback. Brown has five goals in his last three games, and in 50 career games against the Sharks, has 14 goals and 16 assists.

Last game

Logan Couture had two goals and an assist, and Brent Burns added two points as the Sharks beat the Kings on Thursday night at HP Pavilion, 4-3. Burns’ first period goal and his takeaway and assist on Couture’s third period marker sandwiched a pair of second period power play goals by Couture and Matt Irwin. Dustin Brown scored twice, including one on the power play, and Dwight King’s marker with 3:20 to go brought Los Angeles back to within one, but Antti Niemi shut the door after that. The Sharks’ goalie recorded 34 saves to pick up his 11th win, while Jonathan Quick was pulled in favor of Jonathan Bernier after giving up three goals on 12 shots. Bernier took the loss with eight saves on nine shots.

Injuries

Sharks: Marty Havlat (lower body) is questionable. Thomas Greiss (neck) is out.

Kings: Willie Mitchell (knee surgery) and Matt Greene (back) are on injured reserve.

Season series

This is the second of four meetings between the Pacific Division rivals after the Sharks took the first on Thursday, 4-3. The Kings return to HP Pavilion on April 16, and the teams conclude the regular season against one another in Southern California on April 27. The Sharks are 64-46-7-6 all-time vs. Los Angeles.

Quoteable

“We obviously needed all of them. A bit of a relief, or milestone for us, however you want to put it. Now, we’ve got to go do it again on the road for the next 10 days.”

– Todd McLellan, on his team scoring four goals on Thursday

2 people like this

Not bad Lord Nelson. My worthless prediction is 4-3 sharks win. Big hit and fight win for Desi and Burns scores.......

Not bad Lord Nelson. My worthless prediction is 4-3 sharks win. Big hit and fight win for Desi and Burns scores.......

Let's go Sharks! My lifetime GDT record is 3-0, so what the hell, I'm putting that out on the line tonight, Danville... :)

Let's go Sharks! My lifetime GDT record is 3-0, so what the hell, I'm putting that out on the line tonight, Danville... :)

3-0 lifetime? Oh you do pick your shots. Keep the streak alive I say.

Maybe Clowe will get his first goal tonight and the team starts a run. What are the odds of Burns playing D again this season?

We might as well watch the tape from the last game with that prediction

Maybe Clowe will get his first goal tonight and the team starts a run. What are the odds of Burns playing D again this season?

until Dougie gets Todd some more help up front, I don't think Todd changes anything. (i wouldn't)

also, depends which Havlat they get once he comes off the IR

Statistical Breakdown:

Sharks: Best forward is a defenseman.

Kings: Best forward is a raccoon.

1 person likes this

Havlat has been nothing short of a major disappointment. Interesting what he would fetch?

Believe he has a full NMC so unless he wants to go somewhere specific, he isn't moving.

It will be fitting if Patty gets a couple tonight, just because LN started the GDT.

And St Patty's day

The way hes playing I almost expect a multi goal game

1 person likes this

Believe he has a full NMC so unless he wants to go somewhere specific, he isn't moving.

True, but one can always hope........

Havlat has been nothing short of a major disappointment. Interesting what he would fetch?

If the coach lets the man do his thing and plays him with linemates that compliment him instead of forcing him to play a stupid restrictive system , he'll be more than fine

If the coach lets the man do his thing and plays him with linemates that compliment him instead of forcing him to play a stupid restrictive system , he'll be more than fine

I'm sure your totally right, but doesn't seem like it will happen with Toad.

Still can't understand why the Coaches hold the guy back. Havlet and Marleau were dangerous on the PP last year for a few games then they got split up and he wound up in the doghouse for some stupid reason

From the Chief at Abel to Yzerman:

In a stunning decision from the NHL front office in Pittsburgh, midget commissioner Gary.Ass Bettman announced just moments ago that Sidney Crosby has been named Cosmopolitan Magazine's Man of the Decade and that the NHL playoffs will start this evening. First round matchups will be announced thirty minutes before game times. If any visiting team can't make it to their scheduled game, that round will be postponed until the new glossy Crosby posters have been completely reviewed in Bettman's private office, with soft lighting.

None of that is true, except the part about Bettman being a midget, the Cosmo award for Rosby, the poster thing and the soft lighting. So, the playoffs aren't really starting tonite.

But if they were?

The Wings would be playing Vancouver. Is that some sort of crazy-ass coincidence or what?

Nuts.

Two of them. If Luongo has those, he's in tonite because of the violation Detroit levied upon him the last time out.

Whatever. The Wings, because they did last night, can score on the power play, win on the road and profess allegiance to their coach.

It's a late one and I'm guessing, maybe, two of you are sober. Have at it, by god. It's a Live Blog, bit
ch
es

1 person likes this