SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Fan Territory

Weekend GDT: Oakland A's at New York Yanks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Alobar

Alobar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,600 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

Posted Image

Regular Season Series
Oakland leads 4-3
Fri 5/25 NYY 6, @OAK 3
Sat 5/26 NYY 9, @OAK 2
Sun 5/27 NYY 2, @OAK 0
Thu 7/19 @OAK 4, NYY 3
Fri 7/20 @OAK 3, NYY 2
Sat 7/21 @OAK 2, NYY 1
Sun 7/22 @OAK 5, NYY 4
Sep 21, 2012 OAK (Parker) @ NYY (Sabathia) 7:05 PM ET
Sep 22, 2012 OAK (Blackley) @ NYY (Nova) 1:05 PM ET
Sep 23, 2012 OAK (Griffin) @ NYY (Kuroda) 1:05 PM ET

Athletics-Yankees Preview
Another series with a playoff contender provides another opportunity for the Oakland Athletics to prepare themselves for a potential postseason berth.

After they avoided being swept by one club in the playoff hunt, the A's look for a fifth consecutive victory over the AL East-leading New York Yankees on Friday night in the Bronx.

Oakland (85-64) was outscored 18-4 in the first two games at Detroit before it broke out for a 12-4 win over the Tigers on Thursday. The victory moved the A's into a tie with Baltimore for the top wild-card spot in the AL.
"We've been able to come up big when we needed to, and (Thursday) was right along those lines," manager Bob Melvin told the Athletics' official website.

Though Oakland appears in good position to earn one of the two wild-card berths, Melvin and his team won't take anything for granted.

"I'm not even thinking about a cushion," Melvin said. "All we're doing is trying to play for today."

Next up is a New York club which owns a one-game lead over the Orioles in the East and seeks a sixth straight win after Thursday's 10-7 victory over Toronto.

"Having this momentum come at this point in the season, I think that's the Yankees," outfielder Ichiro Suzuki said. "And I think that's what makes this team special."
Oakland, however, has won four straight one-run games over the Yankees (86-63) -- all at home -- and three of five in the Bronx.

The A's hope to continue that success Friday against scheduled Yankees starter CC Sabathia (13-6, 3.63 ERA), who is 3-0 with a 2.19 ERA in his last five starts against them. He's 1-0 with a 3.21 ERA in two versus Oakland this year.

Sabathia, however, has gone 0-3 with a 4.67 ERA in his last four starts since he went 6-0 with a 3.25 ERA during a nine-start stretch that included two stints on the disabled list. The left-hander allowed four runs in 6 2/3 innings of a 6-4 home loss to Tampa Bay on Friday.

"Just not making pitches," said Sabathia, who has given up a lead in five straight starts.
Oakland's Seth Smith, who is 2 for 4 against Sabathia, went 3 for 4 with his 14th homer and four RBIs on Thursday.
Batting .421 (8 for 19) with five RBIs in his last six games, Athletics rookie Yoenis Cespedes is 7 for 15 (.467) with two home runs and three RBIs against the Yankees.

One day after the A's learned talented left-hander Brett Anderson would be lost for the regular season because of a strained oblique muscle, Jarrod Parker (11-8, 3.51) tries to win his third straight start. The right-hander has yielded five runs in 21 innings during a 2-1 stretch. He allowed two in seven innings of a 5-2 win over Baltimore on Saturday.

Parker allowed one run in eight innings of a 2-1 victory over New York on July 21.
Suzuki is 2 for 7 with three strikeouts versus Parker, but is 9 for 12 with three doubles, one homer and four stolen bases in his last three games. He's hit .321 with four homers and 22 RBIs in 54 games since the Yankees acquired him from Seattle on July 23.

Enjoy the series.

Go A's!!!!

#2 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58,136 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

From yesterday:

Check out this hilarious photo showing some good-natured rookie hazing among the A's. This is how the A's rookies had to dress when they showed up for today's flight from Detroit to New York.

Posted Image

#3 D5Shark

D5Shark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

That is like more than half the team.  :lol:

#4 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58,136 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Thats what I was thinking, there sure the hell is a lot of rookies on that team

#5 Alobar

Alobar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,600 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Lot of rookies on a contending team...

Thanks for sharing the photo!

#6 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58,136 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostAlobar, on 21 September 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

Lot of rookies on a contending team...

Thanks for sharing the photo!

Have you seen or heard from Espo, he's been MIA for awhile.

#7 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58,136 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

A's lost 2-1 after tieing it in the 9th and the Yankers coming back and winning in the bottom of the 10th. Hell of a game tho, game 2 tomorrow morning at 9:30

#8 MarbleMadness

MarbleMadness

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 40,909 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

**** the Yankees.
10/1/09 9:43 PM-From this moment on I call for Doug Wilson to be **** canned.
"Go Niners!" - Fugazi
"Does he have anything left in that stick and that wonderful set of hands?" -Randy Hahn
Nabby: I was like whoa, Dougie's coming really hard!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 Alobar

Alobar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,600 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

View PostFugazi, on 21 September 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Have you seen or heard from Espo, he's been MIA for awhile.

Nope... not in a long time...

#10 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58,136 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

Three straight Doubles to open the game and A's lead 2-0

#11 Alobar

Alobar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,600 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Well, that was just brutal yesterday....

I've always been bad luck with these GD threads.  When will I learn to not jinx my teams?!?!

#12 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58,136 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

View PostAlobar, on 23 September 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

Well, that was just brutal yesterday....

I've always been bad luck with these GD threads.  When will I learn to not jinx my teams?!?!

That was edge of the seat Baseball yesterday. A's ran out of good pitching at the end... :(

#13 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58,136 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

New York --
Cliff Pennington is the A's longest-serving position player, and though he lost his shortstop job, shifted to second base and was batting ninth Sunday, he had the biggest say in one of Oakland's most critical games of the season.
Pennington had three hits, including a two-run homer in the second, and he drove in three runs, including the go-ahead run in the sixth in the A's 5-4 victory over the Yankees.
"We came in here to New York, playing really big games, and losing two extra inning games was tough, especially when the games mean so much," Pennington said. "This was definitely a big one, we needed to get out of here with one."
Pennington is batting .355 with three homers since Aug. 30.
Oakland's bullpen, called on to work 12 innings the day before, turned in 4 2/3 scoreless innings Sunday, though Alex Rodriguez's long drive to right had closer Grant Balfour sinking to a crouch on the mound after the swing. Josh Reddick caught it with a little hop, his back to the fence, for the second out of the ninth.
"The way things went for us in this series, you never know," said Balfour, who'd worked two scoreless innings Saturday. "I knew he didn't get it good, but he's strong enough, he doesn't have to hit it perfect to get it out and this is one of the shortest porches in the game. I was just hoping Red would be under it, and he was."
"Your heart can't skip a beat if your eyes are closed," A's manager Bob Melvin joked.
Balfour has converted all 13 of his save opportunities since regaining the closer role, and he's 20 for 22 overall.
All three games of the series were decided by one run, and Balfour said, "Honestly we could have won all three games. It didn't work out, but I don't think we have to hang our heads low. It easily could have gone the other way."
Each of the A's four wins over New York at the Coliseum in July was decided by one run. The season series ended 5-5, so home-field advantage should the teams meet in a wild-card game would be based on their records within their divisions.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.co...p#ixzz27LzFPtAr

#14 espo35

espo35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Finally Alobar has someone to cheer for in October.....

#15 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58,136 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

View Postespo35, on 05 October 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

Finally Alobar has someone to cheer for in October.....

Welcome back  troublemaker...:)

#16 espo35

espo35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostFugazi, on 05 October 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Welcome back  troublemaker...:)
Thanks, brother....good to be back!

#17 MarbleMadness

MarbleMadness

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 40,909 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

Who let the cat back in?
"Go Niners!" - Fugazi
"Does he have anything left in that stick and that wonderful set of hands?" -Randy Hahn

#18 danvilleshark

danvilleshark

Drinker of Beer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,279 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Posted Image Good call on this thread.
Racecar spelled backwards is racecar.

#19 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 58,136 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

Kool Cat

#20 MarbleMadness

MarbleMadness

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 40,909 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

So my uncle calls himself a giants fan yet this wedding got scheduled for tomorrow evening. i sense a mass exodus to the bars at 6:10.
"Go Niners!" - Fugazi

Image Map