The Official Site of the San Jose Sharks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nola

Off Season Trades and Free Agent SIgnings

from the Pittsburgh Penguins website,

The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-signed defenseman Matt Niskanen to a two-year contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The deal runs through the 2013-14 campaign, and has an average annual value of $2.3 million.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Word is, just as Oilers had Gretzky call Schultz, Ducks tried to get Niedermayer to talk to him. Schultz wouldn't take his calls.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Now I don't know Schultz at all and won't comment on his character. But the team is obviously upset and so are players around the league.

He wouldn't even take a call from a HOF defenseman? What a prick.

That kid must be getting some bad advice from someone or he's too full of himself to even look at all the options.

He'll bust just like most of the over hyped punks that have gone down this route

Free Agents Still Available (Listed by Ice Time and Position)

Goalies

Martin Brodeur

Jonas Gustavsson

Johan Hedberg

Scott Clemmensen

Dwayne Roloson

Curtis Sanford

Al Montoya

Chris Mason

Brent Johnson

Ty Conklin

Andrew Raycroft

Jason Peters

Alex Auld

Marty Turco

Dan Ellis

Defensemen

Ryan Suter

Jason Garrison

Filip Kuba

Matt Carle

Sheldon Souray

Sami Salo

Scott Hannan

Adrian Aucoin

Bryce Salvador

Mike Lundin

Radek Martinek

Pavel Kubina

Bryan Allen

Carlo Colaiacovo

Joe Corvo

Milan Jurcina

Brett Clark

Greg Zanon

Francis Bouillon

Matt Gilroy

Chris Campoli

Steve Staios

Dylan Reese

Matt Taormina

Aaron Johnson

Brett Lebda

Jaroslav Spacek

Mark Eaton

Kurtis Foster

Sheldon Brookbank

Kent Huskins

Mark Flood

Aaron Rome

Colin White

Randy Jones

Bruno Gervais

Mike Mottau

Sean O'Donnell

Steve Eminger

Mike Commodore

Matt Carkner

Sami Lepisto

Stu Bickel

Jeff Woywitka

Jim Vandermeer

John Scott

Forwards

Zach Parise

Shane Down

Ryan Smyth

Olli Jokinen

PA Parenteau

Ray Whitney

Teemu Selanne

Jochen Hecht

Alexander Semin

Daniel Winnik

Jaromir Jagr

Kristan Huselius

Mikael Samuelsson

Petr Sykora

Daymond Langkow

Jiri Hudler

Dominic Moore

Steve Sullivan

Andrei Kostitsyn

Kyle Wellwood

Paul Gaustad

Alexei Ponikarovsky

Jamie Langenbrunner

Niklas Hagman

Dustin Penner

Radek Dvorak

Brian Rolston

Jason Blake

Jason Arnott

David Moss

Mike Knuble

Jay McClement

Ruslan Fedotenko

Andrew Brunette

Joey Crabb

Tanner Glass

Brendan Morrison

Brad Boyes

Jordin TooToo

Adam Burish

Jeff Halpren

Torrey Mitchell

Mike Santorelli

Tom Kostopoulos

Taylor PYatt

Marco Sturm

Mathieu Darche

Ryan Shannon

John Madden

Brandon Prust

Tomas Holmstrom

Patrick O'Sullivan

Keith Aucoin

Richard Park

Jesse Winchester

Warren Peters

Ethan Moreau

Erik Christensen

Chris Porter

John Mitchell

Tim Stapleton

Trent Hunter

Jed Ortmeyer

Arron Asham

Tim Wallace

Zenon Konopka

Brad Winchester

Rod Pelley

Andrew Murray

Toby Petersen

Jake Dowell

Brett Sutter

Krystofer Barch

Brad Mills

George Parros

Jay Rosehill

Brian McGrattan

Darcy Hordichuk

Steve MacIntyre

Trevor Gillies

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Word is, just as Oilers had Gretzky call Schultz, Ducks tried to get Niedermayer to talk to him. Schultz wouldn't take his calls.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Now I don't know Schultz at all and won't comment on his character. But the team is obviously upset and so are players around the league.

Winter is coming for that one.

The Philadelphia Flyers are buying out Oskars Bartulis and the New Jersey Devils are buying out Eric Boulton.

Sounds like Vancouver, New York and Toronto all are out on Schultz.

Looks like it's coming down to Edmonton, Minnesota, Ottawa and a mystery team.

Is this one team out of the running thing all orchestrated too? The best players in the league aren't worth all this hype. Who the hell is Schultz?

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

I'm not believing that story until I see Schultz or Niedermayer tell it. Not only would it be very rude but it would be so mind-bogglingly stupid I just can't believe it.

Oh, I was only asking about the QOs. So if they can't turn the QO into a contract before July 1, is that a mistake on capgeek's part? To list the Irwin offer as a contract contract (not QO contract) before it is one? Or is it just that they got the Irwin details and couldn't get the others? Do we assume that the other QOs were accepted?

It wasn't a signed QO. His QO would have mandated a 5% raise on NHL salary. His NHL salary went from $740k to $650, a better than 10% cut. Capgeek should have called it an extension. It was a negotiated extension. The likely leverage was a >50% raise in AHL salary which was not mandated. The contract alone says that he does not expect to get callups to the parent club and if the club needs him it will be easier for the club to call him up with a lower salary. It likely means that DW plans on capping out as well.

Is this one team out of the running thing all orchestrated too? The best players in the league aren't worth all this hype. Who the hell is Schultz?

He could be a top four defenseman right now and the potential to be more.

There's no difference in money and term, it's all about where Justin Schultz wants to play. A unique position to be sure.

I agree though, I don't like all the hype surrounding a guy who hasn't even touched NHL ice. I think this whole process could be a negative impact on him and his eventual team.

@tsnjamesduthie: Too many negative tweets on Schultz. He has handled this like any highly sought after UFA would. We (Twitter,media) created the drama.

Gotta protect the future Oiler...haha!!

@Buccigross: I was told this morning it was Edmonton for Justin Schultz.

I know nothing about the kid. Hope he's worth the hype if he does end up with the Oil.

@NHL_Oilers:"The Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with Justin Schultz. More details to come."

Ok, that overhyped event is done.

I know nothing about the kid. Hope he's worth the hype if he does end up with the Oil.

Not to knock your team, but why would a BC kid choose Edmonton if he could go anywhere he wanted? Guaranteed ice time?

Not to knock your team, but why would a BC kid choose Edmonton if he could go anywhere he wanted? Guaranteed ice time?

I think it's the future. The Oil have a great young core & Dubnyk is good. If these kids grow together they will be a real good team.

I think it's the future. The Oil have a great young core & Dubnyk is good. If these kids grow together they will be a real good team.

I'd be worried about the lack of depth at the D position in Edmonton. It looks like he could be getting some top assignments and without the proper development and backup, he could get eaten alive. Hope it works out for him though.

From the looks of it, he has a high end of Eric Karlsson or Brian Campbell. Not much defense but a lot of offense. Although he was effective defensively for Wisconsin. The reason to choose the Oil is that most teams only have room for one of that kind of dman at the NHL level. Most other teams have that slot filled. It gives him a much better chance of being an NHLer from day one to go with the Oil because they are one of the few teams that don't have that slot filled. Wisconsin is a good program that has graduated a lot of NHL dmen so his defense may not be that bad. The downside for him is that he is beanpole thin which doesn't bode well for the first year of his professional career. He would be well served to spend the summer beefing up and possibly taking a minor league year so as not to subject his less than ideal body type to the greater pounding of the NHL.

Sports Bigamist!

@NHL_Oilers:"The Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with Justin Schultz. More details to come."

Ok, that overhyped event is done.

If you thought it was so overhyped, why would you even comment on it?

I hate complaints like this.

It wasn't a signed QO. His QO would have mandated a 5% raise on NHL salary. His NHL salary went from $740k to $650, a better than 10% cut. Capgeek should have called it an extension. It was a negotiated extension. The likely leverage was a >50% raise in AHL salary which was not mandated. The contract alone says that he does not expect to get callups to the parent club and if the club needs him it will be easier for the club to call him up with a lower salary. It likely means that DW plans on capping out as well.

Wow, the mistakes just keep piling up. This from the initial announcement about who got QOs and who didn't:

@PollakOnSharks: "#Sjsharks give QOs to Galiardi, Shepard, Stalock, Petrecki, McLaren, Mashinter, Pelech, Kennedy and Irwin."

How are we supposed to keep things straight with this kind of information being released? I don't blame Pollak since capgeek numbers were not up when he tweeted that, and the Sharks had Irwin on the QO list.