The Official Site of the San Jose Sharks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nola

Off Season Trades and Free Agent SIgnings

LOS ANGELES – The 2012 Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings have agreed to terms on a three-year contract with center Jarret Stoll, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi announced today.

Stoll, who turned 30 yesterday, recorded 21 points (6-15=21) and 60 penalty minutes in 78 regular season games with the Kings in 2011-12. He added five points (2-3=5) and 18 penalty minutes in 20 playoff games, including the overtime game-winner in the series clinching Game 5 of the Western Conference Quarterfinals at Vancouver.

The 6-1, 213-pound native of Melville, Saskatchewan is now signed with the Kings through the 2014-2015 season. He has led the Kings in faceoff winning percentage in each of his four seasons with the Kings, since being acquired from Edmonton (with Matt Greene) on June 29, 2008.

Noteable names on that list:

Blake Comeau - Scored 24 goals one year ago. Waived by Islanders this year, Flames picked up. I'd take a flier on him if I was the Sharks. His QO was just too high for his current value.

Nick Johnson - Played in 70+ games for Wild. Kind of a strange non-qualify if you ask me considering he gave them 8 goals and 26 points. Seems like an AHL/NHL tweener though.

Guillaume Latendresse - Scored 25 goals a few years back. Has put the puck in the net at a really high rate, even over the last two seasons where he got very limited NHL time, this season due to a concussion that wiped out a season that seemed to be headed in the right direction.

So, rumor yesterday from Blues beat writer was that "D Eric Desjardins" was about to re-sign w/ Sharks, which he later corrected to Andrew Desjardins, but he never cleared up the Dman part.

Much more substantial rumor that Braun has a new contract:

@SHEEHYHOCKEY: "Expect a announcement out of San Jose on the resigning of client/Def Justin Braun..."

@brodiebrazilCSN: "#sjsharks also submit qualifying offers to Galiardi, Irwin, Kennedy, Mashinter, McLaren, Pelech, Petrecki, Sheppard, Stalock"

Um... McLaren?  Didn't see that coming.

@brodiebrazilCSN: "#sjsharks also submit qualifying offers to Galiardi, Irwin, Kennedy, Mashinter, McLaren, Pelech, Petrecki, Sheppard, Stalock"

Um... McLaren?  Didn't see that coming.

Hopefully galiardi isn't kept in the doghouse like last season. Awesome news about Wingels #YouCanPlay

Also LOL at qualifying offer to Sheppard who at this point I'm not positive even exists.

Anyone here have a take on Irwin's potential?  I know DW said they have "4 or 5" like Braun coming up but I would be happy if one of Kennedy or Irwin were even 60% as good as Braun.

The following players were not issued qualifying offers and thus become unrestricted free agents:

PLAYER POS

Benn Ferriero RW

Tony Lucia LW

James Marcou RW

Cameron MacIntyre RW

Tyson Sexsmith G

I thought Sexsmith was the second coming of Marty Brodeur?

The following players were not issued qualifying offers and thus become unrestricted free agents:

PLAYER POS

Benn Ferriero RW

Tony Lucia LW

James Marcou RW

Cameron MacIntyre RW

Tyson Sexsmith G

I thought Sexsmith was the second coming of Marty Brodeur?

Well at least they want to give Sateri more of a chance .. although I dunno if it would help

Shane O'Brien re-ups with the Colorado Avalanche for three years at $1.8 million, $2.0 million and $2.2 million. - Denver Post

Anyone here have a take on Irwin's potential?  I know DW said they have "4 or 5" like Braun coming up but I would be happy if one of Kennedy or Irwin were even 60% as good as Braun.

60% as good as Braun is an AHLer.

Most complete list I've seen compiled of people not offered qualifying offers. I'll update the list when needed (yes, I realize Sharks aren't on here). Most notable names bolded.

Anaheim Ducks: Riley Holzapfel, Rick Schofield, Dale Mitchell, Iiro Tarkki

Calgary Flames: Riley Grantham, Logan MacMillan, Blake Comeau

Carolina Hurricanes: Cedric Lalonde-McNicoll, Matthew Pistilli, Kyle Lawson

Colorado Avalanche: Kevin Porter, Peter Mueller

Columbus Blue Jackets: Brent Regner, Taylor Ellington, Shawn Hunwick

Dallas Stars: Angelo Esposito, Mikhail Stefanovich, Michael Neal, Jake Hauswirth

Edmonton Oilers: Cam Barker

Florida Panthers: Wojtek Wolski, Ondrej Roman, Keith Seabrook, Justin Bernhardt

Los Angeles Kings: Ray Kaunisto

Minnesota Wild: Kris Fredheim, Nick Johnson, Guillaume Latendresse

Montreal Canadiens: Michael Blunden, Petteri Nokelainen, Mark Mitera, Hunter Bishop, Olivier Fortier, Robert Slaney, Andrew Conboy, Danny Masse

Nashville Predators: Zach Stortini, Jack Hillen, Brodie Dupont, Ryan Flynn, Atte Engren

New Jersey Devils: Timo Pielmeier, Kory Nagy

New York Rangers: Andreas Thuresson, Lee Baldwin, Francois Bouchard, Sam Klassen, Chris Chappell

New York Islanders: Tyler McNeely, Tony Romano, Yannick Reindeau, Yuri Alexandrov

Ottawa Senators: Craig Schira

Phoenix Coyotes: Gilbert Brule

Pittburgh Penguins: Cal O'Reilly, Mattias Modig, Boris Valabik, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Alexandre Picard

Tampa Bay Lightning: Benoit Pouliot, Sebastian Piche

Vancouver Canucks: Marc-Andre Gragnani, Mike Duco, Victor Oreskovich, Ryan Parent

Winnipeg Jets: Michael Forney, Eric Fehr, John Negrin, Fredrik Pettersson

deepblue501

it was pretty obvious rangers would trade wolski, they lost confidence in him. He was a healthy scratch for a long time. I think he is an underrated player and he can be a bigtime addition for the panthers.

wolski scored a goal on his debut. i knew it. florida absolutely robbed the rangers with that deal. wolski is gonna score a lot of goals and many shootouts for the panthers.

wolski scored a goal in his debut in florida. i knew it. the panthers absolutely robbed the rangers in that deal (though the rangers probably didn't really want wolski anymore). he's gonna score a lot of goals for the panthers and many shootouts.

well, you just keep going with the irony. just watch my words. he did great in phoenix and he will do likewise in florida.

can someone please remind me: who was laughing at me when i said that picking up Wolski from the Rangers was a steal for Florida and that Wolski would be doing great over there? Well, I would've wanted the Sharks to get 8 points from any of their offensive player in 11 games, not bad...haha...total steal.

Wolski was not offered a qualifying offer after being a healthy scratch numerous times in Florida.

Thanks for playing, Deep Blue.

Most complete list I've seen compiled of people not offered qualifying offers. I'll update the list when needed (yes, I realize Sharks aren't on here). Most notable names bolded.

Anaheim Ducks: Riley Holzapfel, Rick Schofield, Dale Mitchell, Iiro Tarkki

Calgary Flames: Riley Grantham, Logan MacMillan, Blake Comeau

Carolina Hurricanes: Cedric Lalonde-McNicoll, Matthew Pistilli, Kyle Lawson

Colorado Avalanche: Kevin Porter, Peter Mueller

Columbus Blue Jackets: Brent Regner, Taylor Ellington, Shawn Hunwick

Dallas Stars: Angelo Esposito, Mikhail Stefanovich, Michael Neal, Jake Hauswirth

Edmonton Oilers: Cam Barker

Florida Panthers: Wojtek Wolski, Ondrej Roman, Keith Seabrook, Justin Bernhardt

Los Angeles Kings: Ray Kaunisto

Minnesota Wild: Kris Fredheim, Nick Johnson, Guillaume Latendresse

Montreal Canadiens: Michael Blunden, Petteri Nokelainen, Mark Mitera, Hunter Bishop, Olivier Fortier, Robert Slaney, Andrew Conboy, Danny Masse

Nashville Predators: Zach Stortini, Jack Hillen, Brodie Dupont, Ryan Flynn, Atte Engren

New Jersey Devils: Timo Pielmeier, Kory Nagy

New York Rangers: Andreas Thuresson, Lee Baldwin, Francois Bouchard, Sam Klassen, Chris Chappell

New York Islanders: Tyler McNeely, Tony Romano, Yannick Reindeau, Yuri Alexandrov

Ottawa Senators: Craig Schira

Phoenix Coyotes: Gilbert Brule

Pittburgh Penguins: Cal O'Reilly, Mattias Modig, Boris Valabik, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Alexandre Picard

Tampa Bay Lightning: Benoit Pouliot, Sebastian Piche

Vancouver Canucks: Marc-Andre Gragnani, Mike Duco, Victor Oreskovich, Ryan Parent

Winnipeg Jets: Michael Forney, Eric Fehr, John Negrin, Fredrik Pettersson

I would add Hillen, Porter, Mueller, Cal O'Reilly and Nick Johnson to your bolds.

Oreskovich and Parent might also draw some interest.

Poulliot posted decent numbers in the last season. Third-line candidate?

I'd be taking a good, long, look at Peter Mueller.

Sure he's had a few down years but at least the talent is there. More than others on that list, I think a change of scenery and playing on a line with a Joe Thornton or a Patrick Marleau could turn him into a 30 goal scorer. Of course there's the chance that he never plays as well as he did his rookie season so it's a risk and the price would have to be right. He made 2.5 last year and I don't think with his numbers, he's looking at any kind of raise.

Blake Comeau, Benoit Pouliot, and Wojtek Wolski would be other guys that could fill a need for scoring on the second or third line.

I've thought Victor Oreskovich could be a decent fourth liner. He hits a ton and has some speed, but he's never really shown much ability to put the puck in the net.

60% as good as Braun is an AHLer.

I'd be fascinated to know how you calculate that. So, would 80% of Braun make it in NHL? I didn't have any real numbers in mind when I picked that figure, I just don't believe there are that many guys likely to make it to the SJ roster in Worcester. I'd be glad to have someone change my mind.

from The Mayor John Hoven tweet,

Don Maloney confirms to #NHL radio that #Coyotes capo Shane Doan will most likely test free agency starting Sunday. Will he leave Phoenix?

added 7:44pm, via Sarah McLellan tweet,

Doan said in his exit interview he wants to remain a Coyote but will answer calls on July 1. Resigning him still top priority for Coyotes.

I'm confused by this Cap Geek page on Pelech. How does he go from a contract w/ expiry status UFA back to RFA?  I thought the progression was ELC->RFA/UFA->UFA and no going back.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=460

It's not that complex, when a player isn't offered a qualifying offer, they become unrestricted. That doesn't, however, erase the fact that they still have RFA years ahead. So when they sign with a team for one year, they are an RFA at the end of the year (assuming they still meet all the criteria).