The Official Site of the San Jose Sharks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nola

Off Season Trades and Free Agent SIgnings

Well this seems to make the Leafs a prime trading partner for the Sharks... The Leafs are now a little forward heavy and have needs in goal (Niemi) and on D, where the Sharks have 7 top six defensemen.

I could create a few different scenarios that make sense for both teams involving potential UFA forwards and Doug Murray.

Well this seems to make the Leafs a prime trading partner for the Sharks... The Leafs are now a little forward heavy and have needs in goal (Niemi) and on D, where the Sharks have 7 top six defensemen.

I could create a few different scenarios that make sense for both teams involving potential UFA forwards and Doug Murray.

Niemi for jvr. Do it doug

Toronto isn't moving him for that. I'm thinking some of the second tier guys.

This was Eklund, an hour ago..."*Flyers and Leafs are reportedly in discussions.. I am told it is NOT JvR for Schenn." :lol: :lol:

That series was a one time event and was more on the Flower than the D. They have a top 3 coach in the league. They are also got Vokoun so they could spell Fleury more during the season.

thought part the problem was the Flyers having 3 lines that could score and Pitt only had two and Malkin cooled off at the wrong time. so now, how do they rebuild their 3rd line to match the deep Flyers ?

Niemi and Clowe for Van Riemsdyk and MacArthur would fit capwise

This was Eklund, an hour ago..."*Flyers and Leafs are reportedly in discussions.. I am told it is NOT JvR for Schenn." :lol: :lol:

facepalm1.gif

Because Pronger is probably still out and they are unlikely to sign Carle. They have Mez, Coburn and Timonen with nothing afterwards. TO wins the trade on relative skill.

Well, Flyers get a little cap space and though I hope JVR is all patched up now, he's been iffy injury-wise.

If you look at Toronto, they're set down the middle with Bozak-Grabovski-Connolly.

Last year, Kessel and Lupul played with Bozak while Graovski played mostly with Kulemin and MacArthur. Now, Toronto could certainly hold onto all their forwards but their blue-line pretty much blows so they need to improve there. If they miss in free agency, I could see them making available Kulemin or MacArthur for the right defenseman. Lombardi, because of his cap hit, is likely available already and he may be an interesting one year flier because of his high end speed. Yes, I understand he was not good last year but he had sat the entire previous season out due to injury.

Because Pronger is probably still out and they are unlikely to sign Carle. They have Mez, Coburn and Timonen with nothing afterwards. TO wins the trade on relative skill.

Nicklas Grossman?

Luke Schenn needed this change of scenery. He'll probably be given more rope to play a physical game than he was playing under Ron Wilson. James van Reimsdyk is the better player though so in a one-for-one trade like this, the Toronto Maple Leafs probably get the better of this deal. van Reimsdyk is exactly the kind of player they need.

How often do brothers play well together, without being twins?

very well not even debatable.

I know Toronto has some young defensemen they feel pretty good about stepping into expanded roles, but with Schenn gone they could use a little size/physicality on the back end. Murray seems like he'd be a good fit in the five slot there, and it's pretty obvious that Kulemin is available. That seems like it would be a no-brainer swap for both teams. Murray has a year left on his deal, Kulemin is an RFA.

Kulemin made $2.35M last year, and is coming off a down season so he isn't in line for a raise. Even if it turns out to be an equal swap in salary, it's worth it for SJ. They need scoring depth up front, and Kulemin can play a top-six role. He's also not a liability in his own end, and is one season removed from scoring 30. He can play both wings, and he's right around the age group of guys you want to add if you're San Jose right now. Plus, he can skate.

If you really want to dump Niemi, maybe Kadri and Kulemin for Murray and Nemo.

I know Toronto has some young defensemen they feel pretty good about stepping into expanded roles, but with Schenn gone they could use a little size/physicality on the back end. Murray seems like he'd be a good fit in the five slot there, and it's pretty obvious that Kulemin is available. That seems like it would be a no-brainer swap for both teams. Murray has a year left on his deal, Kulemin is an RFA.

Kulemin made $2.35M last year, and is coming off a down season so he isn't in line for a raise. Even if it turns out to be an equal swap in salary, it's worth it for SJ. They need scoring depth up front, and Kulemin can play a top-six role. He's also not a liability in his own end, and is one season removed from scoring 30. He can play both wings, and he's right around the age group of guys you want to add if you're San Jose right now. Plus, he can skate.

wouldnt Burke be more likely interested in Clown?

wouldnt Burke be more likely interested in Clown?

Maybe...but their top six is pretty well set. They might have interest in a center, but with JVR in the mix I don't know how relevant Clowe would be. Their defense, on the other hand, has a hole.

thought part the problem was the Flyers having 3 lines that could score and Pitt only had two and Malkin cooled off at the wrong time. so now, how do they rebuild their 3rd line to match the deep Flyers ?

I think Fluery sprung a big leak and his confidence went south. No capable backup. They also left the forechecking game behind that was working early in the series. That Flyers d was ripe for lack of puck movement. Not sure depth won that series. I also think Crosby was hurt after scoring a goal and he was ineffective at going to the net after that.

Picking up someone to play with Crosby will push guys down the line like Kennedy. I think they have some decent parts in Sullivan (if resigned) ,Sutter, Kennedy, Cooke and Dupius. Those guys can't be rotating into the top six which is what was happening last year.

The last thing is the amount of change (and injury) on the backed in the top four over the last 5 years. They have to stabilize back there. They never really replaced Gil or Scuderi. They've been through Whitney, gil, Scuderi and now michalek. If they get Suter that becomes as good as top 4 as there is with depth behind it albeit a little green.They have all the ingredients for being a FA destination for wingers and a top d. They have cake, a new state of the art players friendly arena, friendly ownership, light travel, cheap cost of living, open spots in the top six and top 4, they've won, great coach and two world class players who are going to be locked in.

Burke has said many times that he doesn't want to do an age swap that isn't even. Meaning, he doesn't want to trade his young guys unless he's getting another young guy back.

To me, that says Kulemin for Murray deal is significantly less likely. Would more likely be Demers if the Sharks want Kulemin (also would replace Schenn on the right side). For MacArthur or Lombardi, Murray would be a better fit (because all are UFAs at the end of the year and make similar salaries). If the Sharks were moving Niemi, who's locked up for a few years, then maybe you would be more likely to see Kulemin come into play.

Would be shocked that Toronto would move Kulemin and Kadri together without getting a high end type guy back. They have a ton of UFA forwards after this year.

Qualifying offers...

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Flames don't give qualifying offers to Blake Comeau, Ryley Grantham and Logan MacMillan, making them UFAs.

Damian Cristodero ‏@LightningTimes

Not receiving offers were Piche, Pouliot. Pouliot not qualified means he cannot invoke arb rights. Lightning confident he will be signed

Retweeted by Greg Wyshynski

By the way, I would take a chance on Comeau, who has elite speed and a quality right handed shot. Would likely have been qualified (and may still re-sign in Calgary) if he didn't make so much last year.

Can i ask, if you own insurance on your home, do you hope your house burns down?

Because even if we probably would have got Stuart on July 1st. I still dont mind the 7th rounder just to make sure. Sometimes its better to pay a small price to prevent the unlikely big price.

Joe Pavelski was a 7th round pick....

By the way, I would take a chance on Comeau, who has elite speed and a quality right handed shot. Would likely have been qualified (and may still re-sign in Calgary) if he didn't make so much last year.

He can seriously skate. Good entries, too.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Ondrej Pavelec's new deal in WPG is 5 yrs, with annual cap hit of $3.9M.

Some qualifying offers for teams around the league.

Minnesota Wilds : QO's - Cody Almond, Justin Falk, Dennis Endras, Chay Genoway, David MacIntyre, Carson Palmer, Nick Palmieri, and Jarod Palmer. No QO's - Kris Friedham, Nick Johnson, and Guillaume Latendresse

Anaheim Ducks : QO's - Nick Bonino, Kyle Cumiskey, Mathieu Carle, Marco Cousineau, and Luca Caputi. No QO's - Riley Hozapfel, Dale Mitchell, Rick Schofield, and Iiro Tarkki.

Florida Panthers : QO's - Mike Caruso, Roman Derlyuk, Keaton Ellerby, Brian Foster, Dmitry Kulikov, Michal Repik, Eric Selleck, Kris Versteeg and James Wright.

New York Islanders : QO's - Sean Backman, Justin DiBenedetto, Mark Katic, Mikko Koskinen, Tomas Marcinko, Matt Martin, Rhett Rakhshani and Ty Wishart.

New Jersey Devils : QO's - Matthew Corrente, Mark Fayne, and Vladimir Zharkov. No QO's - Kory Nagy and Timo Peilmeier.

Montreal Canadiens : QO's - P.K. Subban, Raphael Diaz, Alexei Emelin, Brendon Nash, Frederic St-Denis, Lars Eller, Ryan White, Aaron Palushaj, Blake Geoffrion and Andreas Engqvist.

Edmonton Oilers : QO's - Devan Dubnyk, Sam Gagner, Linus Omark, Theo Peckham, Jeff Petry, Alex Plante, and Chris VandeVelde.

Calgary Flames : QO's - Leland Irving, Akim Aliu, Mikael Backlund, Blair Jones, and Paul Byron. No QO's - Ryley Grantham, Logan MacMillan, and Blake Comeau.