Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nola

Off Season Trades and Free Agent SIgnings

1,711 posts in this topic

There will for sure be interest in Marty. Did you see him in this year's playoffs?

Charlie...if by some odd miracle Marty ended up in SJ, I would buy season tickets! :)

I just said it could backfire, shopping around always holds that risk. I thought it was interesting that he hadn't had an agent for so many years. Maybe he just thought "hey, I haven't gone through this silliness in a long time, this is probably my last chance, let's go job hunting! It'll be fun."

Please, explain to me how it could back fire.

I see absolutely no chance of that.

In other news, our very own Marchment Fan received a shout-out on today's edition of Puck Daddy's Jersey Fouls. Sutoguchi. Huhuhuh.

Erock told me to send it in long ago. Totally forgot until today. My best guess is it was the guys actual last name. He was Asian. Otherwise major F-up!

Bob McKenzie: CGY agrees to terms with Lee Stempniak on a 2 year deal worth $2.5M per year.

Free agency is becoming a barren wasteland before it even starts.

Bob McKenzie: CGY agrees to terms with Lee Stempniak on a 2 year deal worth $2.5M per year.

and on that note, moen for 4 years to montreal.

It's becoming what we wish PlayWithGutz's mother's uterus had been about nine months before she popped him out.

Just read that Kevin Kurtz article, 8 free agents SJ may be interested in. KK is a ******* ****** Nozzle. Saying Marleau and Havlat are the two players that tend to disappear for long stretches. Give me a ******* break.

EeONb.gif

20 Bucks someone kicks this clowns ass next time he shows up at the rink

@TSNBobMcKenzie: "NYR and Martin Biron agree to a 2 year deal worth a total of $2.6M, AAV of $1.3M."

Actually, he got arrested.

Even better."My names Bubba, what are you here for?"

From George Malik:

Perhaps predictably given Sidney Crosby’s concussion history, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe reports that the Penguins were not able to find an underwriter willing to take on the massive gamble that is Sidney Crosby’s “lifetime contract” with Pittsburgh:

The Penguins cannot insure themselves against a concussion-related early retirement by franchise center Sidney Crosby, NHL sources told the Tribune-Review on Friday.

Crosby, 24, has missed all but 63 games the past two seasons because of concussion symptoms. He and the Penguins agreed to a 12-year contract worth $104.4 million — all of it guaranteed. The team will present the contract to the league Sunday for approval.

Insurance companies offer teams protection against career-ending injuries, but Crosby’s concussion history is considered a pre-existing condition. If Crosby cannot finish his contract because of a concussion-related injury, he will still be paid in full, but the Penguins would not receive assistance from an insurance policy on the deal, sources said.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/2126349-85/crosby-contract-penguins-concussion-million-cannot-center-deal-early-insured

Yeah, giving 104 mil to humpty fricking dumpty is a ballsy move...

Revisionist Management

So far the only Sharks RFA that capgeek has contract details on is Irwin ($105,000 AHL/ $650,000 NHL ). I assume that doesn't mean no one else accepted their offers?

They got Braun, Wingels and Desjardins. When a player signs a contract before July 1, it is not a signed QO (RFA contract). It is an extension of the previous contract. It is pretty definitive for all teams that the RFAs who extend are the guys who are more valued by the team. The team aggressively negotiates with them.

By definition QOs are contracts. Once a player signs a QO it is binding on the team with no further negotiation necessary. The QOs automatically expire on July 15 so they just aren't just hanging in the wind on the team where the team needs to know its cap status. The amount offered on the QO counts against the cap while the QO is in limbo. The players are not allowed to sign and change the status from QO to contract before July 1.

Yeah, giving 104 mil to humpty fricking dumpty is a ballsy move...

It's stupid. I hope the next CBA handcuffs teams somehow with these marriage contracts.

They got Braun, Wingels and Desjardins. When a player signs a contract before July 1, it is not a signed QO (RFA contract). It is an extension of the previous contract. It is pretty definitive for all teams that the RFAs who extend are the guys who are more valued by the team. The team aggressively negotiates with them.

By definition QOs are contracts. Once a player signs a QO it is binding on the team with no further negotiation necessary. The QOs automatically expire on July 15 so they just aren't just hanging in the wind on the team where the team needs to know its cap status. The amount offered on the QO counts against the cap while the QO is in limbo. The players are not allowed to sign and change the status from QO to contract before July 1.

Oh, I was only asking about the QOs. So if they can't turn the QO into a contract before July 1, is that a mistake on capgeek's part? To list the Irwin offer as a contract contract (not QO contract) before it is one? Or is it just that they got the Irwin details and couldn't get the others? Do we assume that the other QOs were accepted?

@TheFourthPeriod: "Lightning announce they've re-signed D Keith Aulit to a 1-year, 2-way contract."

from TSN,

The Toronto Maple Leafs have parted ways with forward Colby Armstrong.

The team decided to buy out the final year of his contract, worth $3 million. He will be placed on unconditional waivers at noon et today.

The buyout will count for $1 million towards the team’s salary cap over the next two seasons. The move frees up an additional $2 million for the team heading into free agency July 1, giving them $14.8 million in available cap space.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Word is, just as Oilers had Gretzky call Schultz, Ducks tried to get Niedermayer to talk to him. Schultz wouldn't take his calls.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Now I don't know Schultz at all and won't comment on his character. But the team is obviously upset and so are players around the league.

He wouldn't even take a call from a HOF defenseman? What a prick.