Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nola

Off Season Trades and Free Agent SIgnings

1,711 posts in this topic

JULY 1st SIGNINGS

Scott Clemmensen - 2 years, 1.2 million "range" (according to Brad May) - Panthers (Re-Sign)

Ryan Smyth - 2 years, 4.5 million - Oilers (Re-Sign)

Benoit Pouliot - 1 year, 1.8 Million - Lightning (Re-Sign)

Michael Leighton - 1 year, 900K - Flyers (Re-Sign)

Brett Sutter - 1 year, 550K - Hurricanes (Re-Sign)

Derek Meech - 1 year, 700K - Jets (Re-Sign)

Jonas Gustavsson - 2 years, 3 million - Red Wings

David Moss - 2 years, Yotes

John Mitchell - 2 years, 2.2 million - Avalanche

Matt Carkner - Avalanche

Joe Corvo - 1 year, 2 million - Hurricanes

Justin Peters - 2 years, - Hurricanes

Mike Lundin - 1 year, 1.15 million - Senators

Stu Bickel - 2 years, 1.5 million - Rangers

Jeff Zatkoff - 2 years, 1.05 million - Penguins (Two-Way)

Zenon Konopka - 2 years, - Wild

Torrey Mitchell 3 years, 5.7 million - Wild

Colby Armstrong - 1 year, 1 million - Canadiens

Guillaume Latendresse 1 year, - Senators

Ray Whitney - 2 years, 9 million - Stars

Brad Staubitz - Ducks

----------------------------------------

Steve Bernier - 2 years, 1.5 million (New Jersey)

Martin Biron - 2 years, 2.6 million (New York)

Gregory Campbell - 3 years, 4.8 million (Boston)

Ryan Carters - 2 years, 1.55 million (New Jersey)

Colin Fraser - 2 years, 1.65 million (Los Angeles)

Paul Gaustad - 4-years, $13 million (Nashville)

Hal Gill - 2 years, 4 million (Nashville)

Stephen Gionta - 2 years, 1.125 million (New Jersey)

Adam Hall - 1 year, 650K (Tampa Bay)

Josh Harding - 3 year, $5.7 million (Minnesota)

Milan Hejduk - 1 year, 2 million (Colorado)

Matt Hunwick - 2 years, 3.2 million (Colorado)

Barrett Jackman - 3 years, 9.5 million (St. Louis)

Cam Janssen - 1 year, 575K (New Jersey)

David Jones - 4 years, 16 million (Colorado)

Chris Kelly - 4 years, 12 million (Boston)

Jamal Mayers - 1 year, 650K (Chicago)

Cody McLeod - 3 years, $3.45 million (Colorado)

Travis Moen - 4 years, 7.4 million (Montreal)

Scott Nichol - 1 year, 650K (St. Louis)

Shane O'Brien - 3 years, 6 million (Colorado)

Johnny Oduya - 3 years, 10.125 million (Chicago)

Cory Sarich - 2 years, 4 million (Calgary)

Jim Slater - 3 years, 4.8 million (Winnipeg)

Lee Stempniak - 2 years, 5 million (Calgary)

Jarret Stoll - 3 years, 9.725 million (Los Angeles)

Brad Stuart - 3 years, 10.8 million (San Jose)

Tomas Vokoun - 2 years, 4 million (Pittsburgh)

Dennis Wideman - 5 years, 26.5 million (Calgary)

J.T. Wyman - 1 year, 600K (Tampa Bay)

Trades:

Tampa Gets: Andres Lindback, Kyle Wilson, 2012 7th round pick (202)

Nash Gets: Sebastien Caron, two 2012 2nd round picks (37/50) and 2013 3rd round pick

Carolina Gets: Jordan Staal

Pittsburgh Gets: Brandon Sutter, 1st round pick (8 / Derrick Pouliot) and defenseman Brian Dumoulin.

Phoenix Gets: Zbynek Michalek

Pittsburgh Gets: Harrison Ruopp, 2nd round pick (81) and goalie Marc Cheverie.

New York Islanders Get: Lubomir Visnovsky

Anaheim Gets: 2013 2nd round pick

Columbus Gets: Sergei Bobrovsky

Philadelphia Gets: 2012 2nd round pick (45 ) and two 4th round picks (117/2013 pick)

Washington Gets: Mike Ribiero

Dallas Gets: 2012 2nd round pick (54) and Cody Eakin.

Tampa Bay Gets: Benoit Pouliot (pending RFA)

Boston Gets: Michel Ouellet, 5th round pick.

Extensions:

Sidney Crosby - 12 years, 104.4 million (Pittsburgh)

Jonathan Quick - 10 years, 50.8 million (Los Angeles)

Buy-Outs:

Dallas - Eric Godard

Toronto - Colby Armstrong

Carolina - Derek Joslin

Philadelphia - Oskars Bartulis

New Jersey - Eric Boulton

4 people like this

Thought we could keep this pinned. I know people like to duck in here quickly during the off-season so we can continue to add to the original post when free agents sign (or trades are made, I guess) and people don't have to look through 15 pages of stuff to see what they missed.

As Michael Scott would say, Win-Win-Win.

David Jones - 4 years, 16 million (Colorado)

Milan Hejduk - 1 year, 2 million (Colorado)

Matt Hunwick - 2 years, 3.2 million (Colorado)

Cody McLeod - 3 years, $3.45 million (Colorado)

Johnny Oduya - 3 years, 10.125 million (Chicago)

Jamal Mayers - 1 year, 650K (Chicago)

Tomas Vokoun - 2 years, 4 million (Pittsburgh)

For a team that keeps missing the playoffs, Colorado is really trying to keep their team together...

Sharks acquired the rights to talk with Brad Stuart for a conditional pick and Andrew Murray. Shocking news!!!

So Brad Stuart back in teal eh? Question, why give up the player and picks when it sounds like he wanted to be back here anyway? Just to ensure less inflation on his contract or something?

So Brad Stuart back in teal eh? Question, why give up the player and picks when it sounds like he wanted to be back here anyway? Just to ensure less inflation on his contract or something?

That is exactly my question. I know, get it done earlier, avoid the rush yadda yadda, but it didn't sound like Stuart was interested in going anywhere else. Unless Wilson completely insults him, he'll sign, won't he? And wouldn't that have been the case July 1?

Whatev. I guess this means someone is on the way out, someone other than Vandermeer and White. I can't see any other logic behind trading anything at all to talk to someone who already said he wants to sign here.

And why would Detroit want to talk to Andrew Murray? Are they likely to sign him?

Seriously Marbles?

Murray is a contract to move the other way & is a pending ufa (who they clearly have no intention of signing.)

A conditional 7th round pick is a no brainer price to pay to lock him in before July 1st before anyone else can tempt him with more money and to be able to focus on other areas at the draft & deadline.

I expect this kind of stupidity from people like Petshark but not you.

Seriously Marbles?

Murray is a contract to move the other way & is a pending ufa (who they clearly have no intention of signing.)

A conditional 7th round pick is a no brainer price to pay to lock him in before July 1st before anyone else can tempt him with more money and to be able to focus on other areas at the draft & deadline.

I expect this kind of stupidity from people like Petshark but not you.

If he was considering like a few destinations then maybe but it seemed like SJ was really the only place he had wanted to come. Unless someone paid something ridiculous which he doesn't seem like the type of player who could command that.

If he was considering like a few destinations then maybe but it seemed like SJ was really the only place he had wanted to come. Unless someone paid something ridiculous which he doesn't seem like the type of player who could command that.

There are 2 other teams in California... and playing in Phoenix (or Colorado or Vancouver) would be workable solutions for him as well.

He prefers San Jose but I'm sure he wouldn't play for the Sharks if they only offered him say, 800K per year.

There are 2 other teams in California... and playing in Phoenix (or Colorado or Vancouver) would be workable solutions for him as well.

He prefers San Jose but I'm sure he wouldn't play for the Sharks if they only offered him say, 800K per year.

Do you really think they would do that? Do think getting Stuart now is not a sign that someone else is gone before July 1, like D Murray? And is Stuart a significant improvement over Murray?

Do you really think they would do that? Do think getting Stuart now is not a sign that someone else is gone before July 1, like D Murray? And is Stuart a significant improvement over Murray?

Would they offer that little? No. But they could think he's only worth say, 3 million over 3 years while Colorado is ready to offer him 4 years, 16 million. Would they match that? No way.

It's the same reason that Pittsburgh traded for Vokoun. You're better off securing a pending UFA before he has the ability to negotiate with other teams.

While others may disagree, I view Stuart as a big time upgrade over Murray, mainly because he's significantly better offensively. Stuart had 6 goals this season, Murray has 6 career goals (in 400+ games). Stuart has had assits in the double digits every season his entire career (15 this past season) while Doug Murray had a grant total of 4 points this season. Not to mention that Stuart is better on the PK as well.

Would they offer that little? No. But they could think he's only worth say, 3 million over 3 years while Colorado is ready to offer him 4 years, 16 million. Would they match that? No way.

It's the same reason that Pittsburgh traded for Vokoun. You're better off securing a pending UFA before he has the ability to negotiate with other teams.

While others may disagree, I view Stuart as a big time upgrade over Murray, mainly because he's significantly better offensively. Stuart had 6 goals this season, Murray has 6 career goals (in 400+ games). Stuart has had assits in the double digits every season his entire career (15 this past season) while Doug Murray had a grant total of 4 points this season. Not to mention that Stuart is better on the PK as well.

how is he on outlet passes? I assume with those assist numbers that his outlet is fairly decent.

how is he on outlet passes? I assume with those assist numbers that his outlet is fairly decent.

A lot better than Murray and White. He isn't good enough with anticipating the play for PP time.

I have to believe one of two things happened....

1. Anaheim was interested (or another team/teams) and Dougie didn't want to get into a biding war.

2. Dougie has some plans in the works to move Murray or Demers and wanted their replacement signed before the draft so he would have more options.

It might be a combination of the two. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dougie making a move during the draft involving one of the two D men mentioned.

Hopefully Dougie doesn't overpay, we need all the cap room we can get to fill in the forwards. I'm not worried about the lack of toughness if both Murray & Clowe get moved. We can bring in a couple guys (to fill those roles) who can skate. (Winnik, Winchester, Mashinter, Parros, Petrecki, or other UFAs).

I don't see how this confuses ANYONE. Murray goes back to DET to free up a contract. A 7th is basically nothing. Stuart will have interest from Phoenix, LA and Anaheim at least when July 1 hits. And contrary to popular belief, Stuart's immediate family does NOT live in San Jose during the hockey season. They live in the L.A. area, where Stuart's step daughter is finishing high school.

Right now, Stuart probably just wants a fair deal in a familiar place. The Sharks have a month-long head start on getting that done. Once July 1 hits, the ballgame changes. This is a no-brainer move, it will probably work in SJ's favor, and best of all, it makes Plug Murray expendable.

Doug did not give up much but in his usual fashion he did give up something when he did not have to .

I don't see how this confuses ANYONE. Murray goes back to DET to free up a contract. A 7th is basically nothing. Stuart will have interest from Phoenix, LA and Anaheim at least when July 1 hits. And contrary to popular belief, Stuart's immediate family does NOT live in San Jose during the hockey season. They live in the L.A. area, where Stuart's step daughter is finishing high school.

Right now, Stuart probably just wants a fair deal in a familiar place. The Sharks have a month-long head start on getting that done. Once July 1 hits, the ballgame changes. This is a no-brainer move, it will probably work in SJ's favor, and best of all, it makes Plug Murray expendable.

Have to disagree. A 7th rounder is not basically nothing, it is a chance of getting a Pavelski, Gaustad, Campoli or Hornquist. Wilson probably jumped the gun for something he could have had for free.

Have to disagree. A 7th rounder is not basically nothing, it is a chance of getting a Pavelski, Gaustad, Campoli or Hornquist. Wilson probably jumped the gun for something he could have had for free.

You're right, it's not nothing. It's also a chance to get Brad Stuart locked up to a 3 year deal at $2.5M before someone else comes in and jacks the price up to $3.5M for five years.

Also, you do realize that Gaustad, Pavelski, Campoli, Hornqvist, etc. could have been selected in rounds one, two, three, four, five and six, right?

You're right, it's not nothing. It's also a chance to get Brad Stuart locked up to a 3 year deal at $2.5M before someone else comes in and jacks the price up to $3.5M for five years.

Also, you do realize that Gaustad, Pavelski, Campoli, Hornqvist, etc. could have been selected in rounds one, two, three, four, five and six, right?

They could have, and you got a point with Stuart. My point is that the Sharks should start valuing draft picks a bit more, because they are pretty generous when it comes to trading them away. Every draft pick traded away for short term gains could be a potential long term player.

They could have, and you got a point with Stuart. My point is that the Sharks should start valuing draft picks a bit more, because they are pretty generous when it comes to trading them away. Every draft pick traded away for short term gains could be a potential long term player.

Everything is a trade off. Let's say you have the opportunity to buy a really nice house for way under market value. But in order to put up the money for a down payment, you have to sell half your shares of stock in some up-and-coming company that recently went public.

In 5 years, your house could be worth 25% more than you paid for it. Or, the stock you gave up could have doubled in value. But you can't really know, and in the meantime, you've acquired a tangible asset.

Risk vs Reward. Dougie made a low risk move (because really, how many 7th rounders turn into Pavelski?) and he is going to get a nice little reward for it -- a top-four defenseman for the next 2-3 years, a Stanley Cup winner, and a legitimate upgrade to the existing defense corps.

To freak out over a 7th rounder is crazy, especially considering that Detroit did SJ a legitimate favor by taking Andrew Murray back in the deal.

Everything is a trade off. Let's say you have the opportunity to buy a really nice house for way under market value. But in order to put up the money for a down payment, you have to sell half your shares of stock in some up-and-coming company that recently went public.

In 5 years, your house could be worth 25% more than you paid for it. Or, the stock you gave up could have doubled in value. But you can't really know, and in the meantime, you've acquired a tangible asset.

Risk vs Reward. Dougie made a low risk move (because really, how many 7th rounders turn into Pavelski?) and he is going to get a nice little reward for it -- a top-four defenseman for the next 2-3 years, a Stanley Cup winner, and a legitimate upgrade to the existing defense corps.

To freak out over a 7th rounder is crazy, especially considering that Detroit did SJ a legitimate favor by taking Andrew Murray back in the deal.

I am not freaking out, I am just looking at the bigger picture. I get what a trade-off is. But if you apply this philosophy over several years you hamper your future. The Sharks have been pretty generous when it comes to trading picks. One example would be the Campbell trade. Would you rather have Campbell for a few months or Ennis long term? Building a team through drafts is usually more sustainable.

Its not just this trade, its the sum of all picks Wilson has traded since his tenure started that irks me.