SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Fan Territory

Sharks Off-season plan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
623 replies to this topic

#401 mk391419

mk391419

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,078 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Announcement this afternoon, per Brodie's Facebook.  He says it might have something to do with the coaching staff.
"So don’t try to change who you are boy, and don’t try to be who you ain’t."- "Outfit," Drive-By Truckers

"If you're going to carry that in your head, you're never going to uncork the champagne, I'll tell you this much. You have to learn how to forget and move on." - Valeri Liukin

"Well, it's part of our job description. But you try to find something, in part because there are people financially dependent on two sides determined to go ahead with the worst suicide mission since Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid." - Elliotte Friedman

"Silicon Valley lauds its pioneers but doesn't know what to do with them if they keep living." - Tom Foremski

#402 marchment-fan

marchment-fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Sharks acquired the rights to talk with Brad Stuart for a conditional pick and Andrew Murray.  Shocking news!!!
@brodiebrazilCSN: Brent Burns: #backthatassup

#403 Archibald_Cunningham

Archibald_Cunningham

CCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Is Stuart better than Murray? Yes. Should he be playing top four minutes on a supposed Cup Contender? After this past-season, I really have my doubts.

If Stuart is signed and I gotta believe he will be, Demers may very well be gone before the season starts. I get the sense DW is in love with Murray, and I doubt they are unhappy enough with Boyle to the point where they will move him.

Something like: Vlasic/Burns, Stuart/Boyle, Murray/Braun would allow DW to cry out how he fixed the problem of over-saturation with right handed defensemen, or something like that, even it means  weakening the overall talent on the roster to do so.

Oh and for the contract it-self, we should make this a contest. I'ma go with 3 years/10.5 mil with a full NMC.

#404 mk391419

mk391419

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,078 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

I am hoping Douglas is on his way out.
"So don’t try to change who you are boy, and don’t try to be who you ain’t."- "Outfit," Drive-By Truckers

"If you're going to carry that in your head, you're never going to uncork the champagne, I'll tell you this much. You have to learn how to forget and move on." - Valeri Liukin

"Well, it's part of our job description. But you try to find something, in part because there are people financially dependent on two sides determined to go ahead with the worst suicide mission since Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid." - Elliotte Friedman

"Silicon Valley lauds its pioneers but doesn't know what to do with them if they keep living." - Tom Foremski

#405 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 56,808 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postmk391419, on 10 June 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

And Clowe

#406 mk391419

mk391419

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,078 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostFugazi, on 10 June 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

And Clowe

There is a sucker in toronto....

#407 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 56,808 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostArchibald_Cunningham, on 10 June 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

Is Stuart better than Murray? Yes. Should he be playing top four minutes on a supposed Cup Contender? After this past-season, I really have my doubts.

If Stuart is signed and I gotta believe he will be, Demers may very well be gone before the season starts. I get the sense DW is in love with Murray, and I doubt they are unhappy enough with Boyle to the point where they will move him.

Something like: Vlasic/Burns, Stuart/Boyle, Murray/Braun would allow DW cry out how he fixed the problem of over-saturation with right handed defensemen, or something like that, even it means  weakening the overall talent on the roster to do so.

Oh and for the contract it-self, we should make this a contest. I'ma go with 3 years/10.5 mil with a full NMC.

3 years/9.3 mil with a NTC

#408 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 56,808 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

View Postmk391419, on 10 June 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

There is a sucker in toronto....

Burke = P.T. Barnum

#409 D5Shark

D5Shark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

The headline on TSN is "Sharks acquire Stuart from Red Wings for prospect, pick"

Andrew Murray is a prospect?  :unsure: :blink:

#410 OrangeJ

OrangeJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

Demers may very well be gone before the season starts. I get the sense DW is in love with Murray, and I doubt they are unhappy enough with Boyle to the point where they will move him.

Something like: Vlasic/Burns, Stuart/Boyle, Murray/Braun would allow DW to cry out how he fixed the problem of over-saturation with right handed defensemen, or something like that, even it means  weakening the overall talent on the roster to do so.

I think youre pretty close on salary.  Considering what is out there in the UFA market and trade market, Stuart makes the most logical sense for the Sharks.  Giving up A. Murray and a 7th rd pick probably was overkill to get Stuart considering he was a free agent and wanted to play in SJ.

As far as Demers being expendable, thats a tough call.  To ship Demers over Murray is almost a bad call, especially when you compare price/talent between Murray and Demers.  I would say both players stock are down but long term the Sharks should stick with Demers to see if he can play the left side.
Sharks will win the cup? Sheeeeeeeeit..

#411 OrangeJ

OrangeJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Is this the first time Wilson has made a trade with Detroit?

#412 charlemagne

charlemagne

suck it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostJohn96, on 09 June 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

Agreed.

Antti Niemi is only part of the problem but in my opinion he's the biggest problem (at least when it comes to the guys who actually put skates on).  The thing about that is if Niemi doesn't get better next season, it might not matter what else they do to fix the other problems.
and there you have it.
Posted Image

#413 Archibald_Cunningham

Archibald_Cunningham

CCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostOrangeJ, on 10 June 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

I think youre pretty close on salary.  Considering what is out there in the UFA market and trade market, Stuart makes the most logical sense for the Sharks.  Giving up A. Murray and a 7th rd pick probably was overkill to get Stuart considering he was a free agent and wanted to play in SJ.

As far as Demers being expendable, thats a tough call.  To ship Demers over Murray is almost a bad call, especially when you compare price/talent between Murray and Demers.  I would say both players stock are down but long term the Sharks should stick with Demers to see if he can play the left side.

It is definitely overkill. If the reports on him wishing to play in Cali were true, it was a two-team race between San Jose and Anaheim.

I agree the free-agent pool is pretty weak, but someone like Colaiacovo would be probably cost a amount less, is not already in decline-mode, and may actually be the better player right now!

Even if Demers cannot play the left side, he showed enough in the prior season, that he could handle playing on the 2nd pairing on the right side. Who knows what his offensive-upside is at this point, but the Sharks not exactly have many players in the pipe-line who can step in and replace Boyle's offense down the road. He also has a very favorable contract, which is something very few Shark players can boast about. If he were actually moved out and Murray kept, it would be really f'ing dumb.

#414 John96

John96

John

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

I agree.  If they do move out Doug Murray for Brad Stuart, I'm not sure that's enough of an upgrade to really make a difference.

#415 John96

John96

John

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

View Postmk391419, on 10 June 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

View PostFugazi, on 10 June 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

And Clowe
I agree that it might be time to move them but if one or both of them are moved, it dramatically decreases the team's toughness.  It may not be as important as it once was, but it's still an element of the game and one I think the San Jose Sharks were lacking in last year.

#416 John96

John96

John

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

For the contact, I'll go with 3 years, average of 2.85 million per.

That's my guess, not what I think it should be.

#417 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,268 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

I think this means the Sharks can move Murray but if they don't want to, it doesn't really make sense to move Demers. Even if he starts the season as the 7th d-man, he'll still likely play 55 games minimum and any veteran you sign in that role is likely near 1 million anyways. If you can get quality value for Demers, of course you consider moving him but you don't go dump him for a 3rd or 4th round pick...

#418 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,268 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

With how bad he was in the playoffs, there's no way he should be getting more than 2 years because unless he takes less $ up front, he won't be worth it by the 3rd year. That being said, I'd expect his deal will look like Oduya's extension.

#419 nwsharkfan

nwsharkfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

They should definitely get rid of Clowe. Will be glad to see Mitchell depart as well. I wouldn't mind keeping Murray. He was playing hurt (supposedly) last year and maybe he picks up his game a bit during a contract year. After last season I don't think his trade value is all that high right now anyway. I was shocked to see Marleau is only 32. He looks 39 on the ice.

#420 OrangeJ

OrangeJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostArchibald_Cunningham, on 10 June 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

It is definitely overkill. If the reports on him wishing to play in Cali were true, it was a two-team race between San Jose and Anaheim.

I agree the free-agent pool is pretty weak, but someone like Colaiacovo would be probably cost a amount less, is not already in decline-mode, and may actually be the better player right now!

Even if Demers cannot play the left side, he showed enough in the prior season, that he could handle playing on the 2nd pairing on the right side. Who knows what his offensive-upside is at this point, but the Sharks not exactly have many players in the pipe-line who can step in and replace Boyle's offense down the road. He also has a very favorable contract, which is something very few Shark players can boast about. If he were actually moved out and Murray kept, it would be really f'ing dumb.

Colaiacavo would be a decent pick up, but the guy can not stay healthy.  I dont think Stuart is in decline mode, his underlying numbers are pretty consistent and his point production is the same.  And now he is someone who truly wants to be here and knows his role.  

I think Burns can be that guy to replace a good portion of Boyle's production, its what Wilson is grooming him to be.  From there, I can see Braun being capable of handling the 2nd pairing.  Obviously, Demers is capable of playing 2nd pairing minutes, but when his RFA status is up and he is still playing 3rd pairing D, I can see him wanting to sign elsewhere.  Basically, its a good problem to have for the Sharks.  

Pipeline wise, the Sharks will have a couple of guys waiting to jump in the D core.  This Tennyson kid intrigues me, as does Albetshauser.  Both are about 2 years out from actually seeing any time in the bigs.

Image Map