SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

2012 Conference Finals.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
613 replies to this topic

#41 josierocket

josierocket

Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Jesus christ, Pierre McGuire is a blowhard ass kissing fool, but Pang and Englum are like a couple of giddy Tweens who never shut up - I don't know which is worse.

#42 josierocket

josierocket

Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Sound is turned off.

#43 sub_zero94

sub_zero94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostArchibald_Cunningham, on 13 May 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

Brown reminding anyone else of Iginla during the Flames' run?
Yep.  mentioned that on my FB just now

with and without the puck..
Posted Image

#44 Archibald_Cunningham

Archibald_Cunningham

CCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Every time I see the younger Nolan, I cannot help but wonder how SJ would perform with Nolan behind the bench.

#45 josierocket

josierocket

Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

If they show another close up of Darrel Sutter, look for a blonde woman sitting behind the glass - she has an absolutely horrible face lift - your typical leather faced Arizona wench. Ha Ha!

#46 sub_zero94

sub_zero94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

Darren Pang thinks he still works for the Coyotes
Posted Image

#47 josierocket

josierocket

Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

See ya!

#48 sub_zero94

sub_zero94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

View PostArchibald_Cunningham, on 13 May 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

Every time I see the younger Nolan, I cannot help but wonder how SJ would perform with Nolan behind the bench.
still would LOVE to know exactly why they ran that man off the Island

he's a good coach
Posted Image

#49 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 53,026 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

King for the Smythe

#50 josierocket

josierocket

Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

View Postsub_zero94, on 13 May 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

Yep, apologizing for dogs till the end.

#51 mk391419

mk391419

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,912 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Postsub_zero94, on 13 May 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

he's a good coach

Good question.  He was blacklisted in the hockey world after whatever happened.
"So don’t try to change who you are boy, and don’t try to be who you ain’t."- "Outfit," Drive-By Truckers

"If you're going to carry that in your head, you're never going to uncork the champagne, I'll tell you this much. You have to learn how to forget and move on." - Valeri Liukin

"Well, it's part of our job description. But you try to find something, in part because there are people financially dependent on two sides determined to go ahead with the worst suicide mission since Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid." - Elliotte Friedman

"Silicon Valley lauds its pioneers but doesn't know what to do with them if they keep living." - Tom Foremski

#52 Archibald_Cunningham

Archibald_Cunningham

CCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

View Postsub_zero94, on 13 May 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

he's a good coach

Agreed. My only guess is that employing him must be like having to work with Sam.

Would love to see him work with the current SJ roster though.

#53 Archibald_Cunningham

Archibald_Cunningham

CCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

Suffice to say, the Phoenix forwards are gonna have to be a lot stronger on the puck if they wanna have a chance. This is the kinda series where Whitney and Vrbata are gonna disappear.

#54 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 53,026 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

View Postsub_zero94, on 13 May 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

I'll take the Panger seven day a week over McGuire.

#55 sub_zero94

sub_zero94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostFugazi, on 13 May 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

I'll take the Panger seven day a week over McGuire.
i'd take Pang here in SJ over Cory Schwab
Posted Image

#56 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 53,026 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

View Postsub_zero94, on 13 May 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

i'd take Pang here in SJ over Cory Schwab

That would be interesting

#57 PlaywithGutz

PlaywithGutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostSJeasy, on 13 May 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

Pretty much north/south, don't take any chances.

Rags block shots like no other with the intent of creating breakaways on the blocks.  Yotes are trap and transition with the dmen participating a lot off of the rush.  Devs run DeBoer's transition speed thing which is similar to Carolina's system, a little trap thrown in.  DeBoer is conservative with the dmen like Carolina, dmen almost never join the rush.

Caps gave the Rags fits because they put their point shots on a leash.  Carlson, Green and Wideman were only shooting on pinches with clear lanes.  It's death to bomb from the point against the Rags.
How would you explain SJ's system??

I am really enjoying LA and their style and wish SJ would employ more of the same...A little more N/S might be good for SJ.

The funny thing is that SJ played some of their best hockey of the season against LA, who is a team that rams it down your throat....SJ was pushed and had to match, which in the end really demonstrated a deeper dimension of SJ's potential...IMO

maybe some K.I.S.S could be just what is needed in SJ...but then again i dont think SJ has the culture or the personnel that is willing to buy in...
SJ's Mr. Playoff's 2012 Numbers...JR-Nail-Head....
0 0 0 -1 4 0
Posted Image

#58 SJeasy

SJeasy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,906 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

View PostPlaywithGutz, on 13 May 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

How would you explain SJ's system??

I am really enjoying LA and their style and wish SJ would employ more of the same...A little more N/S might be good for SJ.

The funny thing is that SJ played some of their best hockey of the season against LA, who is a team that rams it down your throat....SJ was pushed and had to match, which in the end really demonstrated a deeper dimension of SJ's potential...IMO

maybe some K.I.S.S could be just what is needed in SJ...but then again i dont think SJ has the culture or the personnel that is willing to buy in...
The Sharks are already suffering from too much KISS.  They are extremely conservative in their own zone on defense and starting the breakout.  Very few overt turnovers coming out of the zone.  d to d or up the boards if nothing is wide open and even sometimes when it is.  It is reminiscent of Detroit era of around 2000 and the years around it.  They overlay it with excessive chip and chase into the zone.  They are incredibly good at chip and chase.  Very good placements.  But, they choose chip over clean entries too often (same for Bruins).  The difference with the 2000 era Wings team is that their d to d are not that accurate nor are the passes up from the dmen.  The Wings made it work with incredbile accuracy which creates speed of movement.  What it does is that it let's teams know that they don't have fear speed of play from the Sharks and allows opponents to pinch dmen and to otherwise apply extreme pressure to the Sharks.

LA is a little different they throw forecheckers like the Sharks but they are more conservative in their use of dmen.  At least SJ has dmen joining the play on offense.  And SJ does throw the kitchen sink on the forecheck like LA, they are just a little slow in doing so.  LA also has more speed on the backcheck.

The fixes for SJ start with a few more risks coming out of the zone along with a little more variety (something the Kings do).  And they need to get more speed out of their horde of forecheckers.  It will help defensively as other teams will be more averse to letting their dmen pressure.  It might not have help versus the Blues, but it would on several other teams.  Blues play their d back on offense sometimes behind the blueline, but selectively let them step in on golden opportunities.  Conservative but with a little spice added as their d have the extra step for speed when they do pinch.

Overall, the biggest issue is that SJ is one of if not the slowest playing team in the league.  It only works because they have JT and Boyle and it doesn't work that well.  Other teams have tried with other stars and never reached the silver thingy.

The other problem for LA is that they do not have a PP.  At this point in the playoffs, it doesn't matter.  But, it can be a killer down the road.  The quality of the PP is on Sutter.  He has the horses in Richards, Kopitar and Doughty.  He has no excuse for a PP under 20% for the reg. season.  He doesn't run strategies like TM.  Even when Sutter was in SJ, he left the players entirely on their own for o-zone strategies.  It's OK to do that if the coach brings something to the table to add some spice to the mix.  Sutter doesn't do that.

#59 LeChuck

LeChuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

View PostSJeasy, on 13 May 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

The Sharks are already suffering from too much KISS.  They are extremely conservative in their own zone on defense and starting the breakout.  Very few overt turnovers coming out of the zone.  d to d or up the boards if nothing is wide open and even sometimes when it is.  It is reminiscent of Detroit era of around 2000 and the years around it.  They overlay it with excessive chip and chase into the zone.  They are incredibly good at chip and chase.  Very good placements.  But, they choose chip over clean entries too often (same for Bruins).  The difference with the 2000 era Wings team is that their d to d are not that accurate nor are the passes up from the dmen.  The Wings made it work with incredbile accuracy which creates speed of movement.  What it does is that it let's teams know that they don't have fear speed of play from the Sharks and allows opponents to pinch dmen and to otherwise apply extreme pressure to the Sharks.

LA is a little different they throw forecheckers like the Sharks but they are more conservative in their use of dmen.  At least SJ has dmen joining the play on offense.  And SJ does throw the kitchen sink on the forecheck like LA, they are just a little slow in doing so.  LA also has more speed on the backcheck.

The fixes for SJ start with a few more risks coming out of the zone along with a little more variety (something the Kings do).  And they need to get more speed out of their horde of forecheckers.  It will help defensively as other teams will be more averse to letting their dmen pressure.  It might not have help versus the Blues, but it would on several other teams.  Blues play their d back on offense sometimes behind the blueline, but selectively let them step in on golden opportunities.  Conservative but with a little spice added as their d have the extra step for speed when they do pinch.

Overall, the biggest issue is that SJ is one of if not the slowest playing team in the league.  It only works because they have JT and Boyle and it doesn't work that well.  Other teams have tried with other stars and never reached the silver thingy.

The other problem for LA is that they do not have a PP.  At this point in the playoffs, it doesn't matter.  But, it can be a killer down the road.  The quality of the PP is on Sutter.  He has the horses in Richards, Kopitar and Doughty.  He has no excuse for a PP under 20% for the reg. season.  He doesn't run strategies like TM.  Even when Sutter was in SJ, he left the players entirely on their own for o-zone strategies.  It's OK to do that if the coach brings something to the table to add some spice to the mix.  Sutter doesn't do that.
Great analysis. I said similar things before the Kings-Blues series started. The Sharks played into the hands of the Blues by playing snail hockey. They gave the Blues enough time to setup their trap and suffocate the Sharks. The Kings in contrast move the puck up ice much faster and have a more mobile defense.

If I remember right Sutter had PP problems his entire time with the Sharks. Must be a personal problem with him.

#60 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,004 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostLeChuck, on 14 May 2012 - 06:48 AM, said:

Great analysis. I said similar things before the Kings-Blues series started. The Sharks played into the hands of the Blues by playing snail hockey. They gave the Blues enough time to setup their trap and suffocate the Sharks. The Kings in contrast move the puck up ice much faster and have a more mobile defense.

If I remember right Sutter had PP problems his entire time with the Sharks. Must be a personal problem with him.

You think Doughty, Voynov, Martinez, Greene, Scuderi and Mitchell is more mobile than Boyle, Burns, Braun, Demers, Vlasic and Murray?

What The Fudge.

And you wonder why people make fun of you....