SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Year End Recap.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
453 replies to this topic

#401 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,189 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostSJeasy, on 05 May 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

Agree on Nemo vs Zeus.

Not sure on Lecavalier.  Buyouts still cost cash and I don't know how much the new owners have in Tampa.  The Rags are loaded with a owner willing to spend.  Redden has been tearing up the AHL.  Part of the buyout equation will be how much cash the owner is willing to lay out.  CBJ can unload Mason on a 1/3 regular buyout as he is not yet 26.

I suspect the Hawks tab Olesz, they have the cash.

Under current rules (and granted, it may change), they'd owe him 36 million over 16 years. All to save 19 million. Seems really silly to buy him out when he's essentially still a 1st line guy.

#402 SJeasy

SJeasy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,299 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostNola, on 05 May 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

Under current rules (and granted, it may change), they'd owe him 36 million over 16 years. All to save 19 million. Seems really silly to buy him out when he's essentially still a 1st line guy.
He may hit the physically unable to perform barrier before his contract runs out with all of his surgeries.  Effectively no cap hit and possibly offset by insurance.  He is also big on fan/community involvement.  I agree that there is a lot to the decision.  He is currently performing at high second line level.

#403 John96

John96

John

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,600 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostNola, on 05 May 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

I wouldn't have moved Demers and a 3rd for Vermette. Would have completely eliminated the Sharks defensive depth. Now, they ended up going back to the Colin White well but still, that's not what they should have done. Demers is still extremely cheap for another season.
Maybe but the forwards were bad enough that putting Antoine Vermette in the fold might have been worth going with Colin White as a sixth defensemen.  

White in the lineup is a sign of a weak team but maybe it's worse when a fourth line of Daniel Winnik, Andrew Desjardins, and Tommy Wingels is arguably better down the stretch than whatever the third line was.  Sure they had their moments here and there but yet another postseason where the third line failed to come through.  I know Joe Pavelski, Kyle Wellwood, and Torrey Mitchell had it going for the first half of last year's playoffs but they tallied off badly in the second stretch if my memory serves.

#404 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,189 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostJohn96, on 05 May 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Maybe but the forwards were bad enough that putting Antoine Vermette in the fold might have been worth going with Colin White as a sixth defensemen.  

White in the lineup is a sign of a weak team but maybe it's worse when a fourth line of Daniel Winnik, Andrew Desjardins, and Tommy Wingels is arguably better down the stretch than whatever the third line was.  Sure they had their moments here and there but yet another postseason where the third line failed to come through.  I know Joe Pavelski, Kyle Wellwood, and Torrey Mitchell had it going for the first half of last year's playoffs but they tallied off badly in the second stretch if my memory serves.

To me, that was the 3rd line, and they essentially used them interchangeably anyways.

Pavelski's line trailed off once the competition got stiffer.

#405 John96

John96

John

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,600 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostNola, on 05 May 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

To me, that was the 3rd line, and they essentially used them interchangeably anyways.
I don't really agree but I think the point stands.  There was basically no scoring from the bottom six.

#406 reversethecurse2020

reversethecurse2020

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostJohn96, on 05 May 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

I'd had taken Antoine Vermette over Dominic Moore, T.J. Galiardi, and Daniel Winnik combined.  The Phoenix Coyotes dealt Curtis McElhinney, a second round pick this year, and a fifth round pick this year for Vermette.  Jason Demers and a third round pick would have done it for the San Jose Sharks.  I'd have made that trade.

Agree on Dominic Moore not being put in the best situation to succeed but he was completely ineffective.  Didn't score a single goal and had only six assists in 26 games (playoffs included).  The fact that he became a healthy scratch in the postseason I think is a good enough indicator of how the coaching staff felt too.  An entirely useless trade and the fact that they lost a second round pick for him makes it even worse.

Also Nils Ekman only played one year with Joe Thornton, his other good year was 2003/2004.

No way would it have taken Demers to get Vermette. McElhinney is a negative value guy, he's awful, that for Phoenix to offload a contract. That's probably why they had to throw in the fifth round pick. The Sharks could probably have gotten Vermette for the second round pick they gave up to get Moore.

#407 sub_zero94

sub_zero94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,273 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostNola, on 05 May 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

Pavelski's line trailed off once the competition got stiffer.
size and speed killed them
Posted Image

#408 scirty1489

scirty1489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostNola, on 05 May 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

If the amnesty portion goes through, a number of the prime candidates for it could be good targets for the Sharks.

For those who don't know, amnesty would essentially be that the team gets to 'buy out' a guy without them having a salary cap hit for it. It's thought it will likely be in the new CBA as a one time deal. I imagine the Sharks would likely use it on Handzus.

To name just two prime candidates who'd be fit for the Sharks:

Wade Redden - Left handed puck moving defenseman, has played in the minors the last 2 years because of his massive cap hit. Was a rumored Sharks target for years. However, not sure how much he has left in the tank (age 34) though you'd think getting back to the NHL and proving himself (like Souray this year) might be a strong motivator for him. Anyone see him play with the Whales the last 2 years?

Ville Leino - Buffalo probably can't buy him out because they aren't exactly loaded but if they did, he's a perfect fit for a puck possession team and would be coming off a down year, after he has already got paid.

Ville Leino was god-awful atrocious in Buffalo. He was Zeus-slow this year... Roughly as effective, too. Swing and a miss by Darcy. Don't forget that Pegula has deep pockets... He's given the green light to spend in free agency and has buried millions of dollars with Kotalik and Morrisonn without blinking. I'd be shocked if Leino wasn't shown the door. I'd pass.

#409 peterborough-pete

peterborough-pete

King of the Cycle Breakers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

View Postreversethecurse2020, on 05 May 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

I'll be out that way at the end of the month. Other side of the river.
Are you coming back for another school year or work?

#410 reversethecurse2020

reversethecurse2020

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

View Postpeterborough-pete, on 06 May 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

Are you coming back for another school year or work?

Work, unfortunately. A trade show. And to revisit some of my old college biscuits if I'm lucky.

#411 petshark

petshark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

What kind of coach is John Torchetti?
Attack life, it’s going to kill you anyway. — Steven Coallier
The Onion Horoscopes: October 11, 2011, Libra: "It turns out there are actually plenty of problems you can't solve with a smile, a sincere heartfelt talk, or a large, heavy piece of lumber."
October 18, 2011, Libra: "For the third year in a row, no one responds to your well-meaning letters concerning what you consider to be fairly large errors in just about everything."
Inside Hockey

#412 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,189 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

View Postpetshark, on 07 May 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

What kind of coach is John Torchetti?

The shitty kind.

#413 franklin_turtle

franklin_turtle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

Let's start a rumour!  Trotz to coach the Sharks!  A perfect match of Playoff choke.

#414 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 55,891 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

View Postfranklin_turtle, on 08 May 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

Let's start a rumour!  Trotz to coach the Sharks!  A perfect match of Playoff choke.

Barry Trotz needs to be fired

http://hfboards.hock...=1184001&page=7

#415 HOOCH2173

HOOCH2173

Well he looks like a Carlos.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,287 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

View PostFugazi, on 08 May 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

no no. we don't need Shrek to coach us!

plus i'm creeped out by people with no Necks!
Now co-owner of Section 409/Row 8/Seats 11-12 for Levi's Stadium!!

Ok people! new season, new goals! 2014

Niners - (OK New year to make the SB Champs ya turkeys!)
Sharks - (Well another Choke job! Congratulations!)
Warriors - Win Tiny Basketball Trophy! (Yeah that didn't happen)

SF Giants - World Series Champions in 2014! (Looking good so far!)

"It's okay Beavis, it's alright to cry, crying takes the sad out of you."

Posted Image

#416 SJeasy

SJeasy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,299 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostFugazi, on 08 May 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

Some of those guys are crazy.  I have watched enough Preds hockey over the years.  He is one of a very few coaches who makes visible tweaks to his system to optimize performance.  He does do offensive tweaks which is rare, not some conservative with a stick up his backside who just gets more defensive.  Some of his tweaks are unique which is a very high compliment.  They actually discipline players with no one being immune.  If anything the fault lies in the drafting and keeping enough forwards with serious hands and puck control.  Effectively Radulov and Erat and they aren't top of class leaguewide.  His track record for turning prospects into players desired by other teams is well above average.  Their track record on W/L and playoffs exceeds all 3 of the other teams in their expansion group by a country mile with Minnesota being closest.  He has a track record of chasing down teams that have the Preds number and turning it around over the years (another high compliment).

(I may post this on their forum)

#417 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 55,891 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostSJeasy, on 08 May 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

Some of those guys are crazy.  I have watched enough Preds hockey over the years.  He is one of a very few coaches who makes visible tweaks to his system to optimize performance.  He does do offensive tweaks which is rare, not some conservative with a stick up his backside who just gets more defensive.  Some of his tweaks are unique which is a very high compliment.  They actually discipline players with no one being immune.  If anything the fault lies in the drafting and keeping enough forwards with serious hands and puck control.  Effectively Radulov and Erat and they aren't top of class leaguewide.  His track record for turning prospects into players desired by other teams is well above average.  Their track record on W/L and playoffs exceeds all 3 of the other teams in their expansion group by a country mile with Minnesota being closest.  He has a track record of chasing down teams that have the Preds number and turning it around over the years (another high compliment).

You know how it is with every fanbase, Fire the Coach, Dump the GM, trade away the top guys and get the next flavor of the month in Free Agency. Story never changes just the organizations names.

#418 Sharkhaywood

Sharkhaywood

When someone yells "Duck" I look up

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostHOOCH2173, on 08 May 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

no no. we don't need Shrek to coach us!

plus i'm creeped out by people with no Necks!

I always thought he was more of a Boris Badinov from Rocky and Bullwinkle than Shrek. :lol:
Cheering for the Sharks in the playoffs is like cheering for the promiscuous girl in a horror movie. You’ll get to see a few fun scenes, but it’s not going to end well. - Grantland

#419 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 55,891 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostSharkhaywood, on 08 May 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

I always thought he was more of a Boris Badinov from Rocky and Bullwinkle than Shrek. :lol:

Yeah, he's definitly a Boris.

#420 petshark

petshark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostSJeasy, on 08 May 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

Sounds like a system that would need more support than just from the coach, a cultural thing not present in all clubs?  At least the discipline part.
Attack life, it’s going to kill you anyway. — Steven Coallier
The Onion Horoscopes: October 11, 2011, Libra: "It turns out there are actually plenty of problems you can't solve with a smile, a sincere heartfelt talk, or a large, heavy piece of lumber."
October 18, 2011, Libra: "For the third year in a row, no one responds to your well-meaning letters concerning what you consider to be fairly large errors in just about everything."
Inside Hockey