Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fugazi

Year End Recap.

454 posts in this topic

Agree on Nemo vs Zeus.

Not sure on Lecavalier. Buyouts still cost cash and I don't know how much the new owners have in Tampa. The Rags are loaded with a owner willing to spend. Redden has been tearing up the AHL. Part of the buyout equation will be how much cash the owner is willing to lay out. CBJ can unload Mason on a 1/3 regular buyout as he is not yet 26.

I suspect the Hawks tab Olesz, they have the cash.

Under current rules (and granted, it may change), they'd owe him 36 million over 16 years. All to save 19 million. Seems really silly to buy him out when he's essentially still a 1st line guy.

Under current rules (and granted, it may change), they'd owe him 36 million over 16 years. All to save 19 million. Seems really silly to buy him out when he's essentially still a 1st line guy.

He may hit the physically unable to perform barrier before his contract runs out with all of his surgeries. Effectively no cap hit and possibly offset by insurance. He is also big on fan/community involvement. I agree that there is a lot to the decision. He is currently performing at high second line level.

I wouldn't have moved Demers and a 3rd for Vermette. Would have completely eliminated the Sharks defensive depth. Now, they ended up going back to the Colin White well but still, that's not what they should have done. Demers is still extremely cheap for another season.

Maybe but the forwards were bad enough that putting Antoine Vermette in the fold might have been worth going with Colin White as a sixth defensemen.

White in the lineup is a sign of a weak team but maybe it's worse when a fourth line of Daniel Winnik, Andrew Desjardins, and Tommy Wingels is arguably better down the stretch than whatever the third line was. Sure they had their moments here and there but yet another postseason where the third line failed to come through. I know Joe Pavelski, Kyle Wellwood, and Torrey Mitchell had it going for the first half of last year's playoffs but they tallied off badly in the second stretch if my memory serves.

Maybe but the forwards were bad enough that putting Antoine Vermette in the fold might have been worth going with Colin White as a sixth defensemen.

White in the lineup is a sign of a weak team but maybe it's worse when a fourth line of Daniel Winnik, Andrew Desjardins, and Tommy Wingels is arguably better down the stretch than whatever the third line was. Sure they had their moments here and there but yet another postseason where the third line failed to come through. I know Joe Pavelski, Kyle Wellwood, and Torrey Mitchell had it going for the first half of last year's playoffs but they tallied off badly in the second stretch if my memory serves.

To me, that was the 3rd line, and they essentially used them interchangeably anyways.

Pavelski's line trailed off once the competition got stiffer.

To me, that was the 3rd line, and they essentially used them interchangeably anyways.

I don't really agree but I think the point stands. There was basically no scoring from the bottom six.

I'd had taken Antoine Vermette over Dominic Moore, T.J. Galiardi, and Daniel Winnik combined. The Phoenix Coyotes dealt Curtis McElhinney, a second round pick this year, and a fifth round pick this year for Vermette. Jason Demers and a third round pick would have done it for the San Jose Sharks. I'd have made that trade.

Agree on Dominic Moore not being put in the best situation to succeed but he was completely ineffective. Didn't score a single goal and had only six assists in 26 games (playoffs included). The fact that he became a healthy scratch in the postseason I think is a good enough indicator of how the coaching staff felt too. An entirely useless trade and the fact that they lost a second round pick for him makes it even worse.

Also Nils Ekman only played one year with Joe Thornton, his other good year was 2003/2004.

No way would it have taken Demers to get Vermette. McElhinney is a negative value guy, he's awful, that for Phoenix to offload a contract. That's probably why they had to throw in the fifth round pick. The Sharks could probably have gotten Vermette for the second round pick they gave up to get Moore.

Pavelski's line trailed off once the competition got stiffer.

size and speed killed them

If the amnesty portion goes through, a number of the prime candidates for it could be good targets for the Sharks.

For those who don't know, amnesty would essentially be that the team gets to 'buy out' a guy without them having a salary cap hit for it. It's thought it will likely be in the new CBA as a one time deal. I imagine the Sharks would likely use it on Handzus.

To name just two prime candidates who'd be fit for the Sharks:

Wade Redden - Left handed puck moving defenseman, has played in the minors the last 2 years because of his massive cap hit. Was a rumored Sharks target for years. However, not sure how much he has left in the tank (age 34) though you'd think getting back to the NHL and proving himself (like Souray this year) might be a strong motivator for him. Anyone see him play with the Whales the last 2 years?

Ville Leino - Buffalo probably can't buy him out because they aren't exactly loaded but if they did, he's a perfect fit for a puck possession team and would be coming off a down year, after he has already got paid.

Ville Leino was god-awful atrocious in Buffalo. He was Zeus-slow this year... Roughly as effective, too. Swing and a miss by Darcy. Don't forget that Pegula has deep pockets... He's given the green light to spend in free agency and has buried millions of dollars with Kotalik and Morrisonn without blinking. I'd be shocked if Leino wasn't shown the door. I'd pass.

I'll be out that way at the end of the month. Other side of the river.

Are you coming back for another school year or work?

Are you coming back for another school year or work?

Work, unfortunately. A trade show. And to revisit some of my old college biscuits if I'm lucky.

Some of those guys are crazy. I have watched enough Preds hockey over the years. He is one of a very few coaches who makes visible tweaks to his system to optimize performance. He does do offensive tweaks which is rare, not some conservative with a stick up his backside who just gets more defensive. Some of his tweaks are unique which is a very high compliment. They actually discipline players with no one being immune. If anything the fault lies in the drafting and keeping enough forwards with serious hands and puck control. Effectively Radulov and Erat and they aren't top of class leaguewide. His track record for turning prospects into players desired by other teams is well above average. Their track record on W/L and playoffs exceeds all 3 of the other teams in their expansion group by a country mile with Minnesota being closest. He has a track record of chasing down teams that have the Preds number and turning it around over the years (another high compliment).

(I may post this on their forum)

Some of those guys are crazy. I have watched enough Preds hockey over the years. He is one of a very few coaches who makes visible tweaks to his system to optimize performance. He does do offensive tweaks which is rare, not some conservative with a stick up his backside who just gets more defensive. Some of his tweaks are unique which is a very high compliment. They actually discipline players with no one being immune. If anything the fault lies in the drafting and keeping enough forwards with serious hands and puck control. Effectively Radulov and Erat and they aren't top of class leaguewide. His track record for turning prospects into players desired by other teams is well above average. Their track record on W/L and playoffs exceeds all 3 of the other teams in their expansion group by a country mile with Minnesota being closest. He has a track record of chasing down teams that have the Preds number and turning it around over the years (another high compliment).

You know how it is with every fanbase, Fire the Coach, Dump the GM, trade away the top guys and get the next flavor of the month in Free Agency. Story never changes just the organizations names.

no no. we don't need Shrek to coach us!

plus i'm creeped out by people with no Necks!

I always thought he was more of a Boris Badinov from Rocky and Bullwinkle than Shrek. :lol:

I always thought he was more of a Boris Badinov from Rocky and Bullwinkle than Shrek. :lol:

Yeah, he's definitly a Boris.

Sounds like a system that would need more support than just from the coach, a cultural thing not present in all clubs? At least the discipline part.

what we need is a reverse curse...(no way affiliated with reversepatriciaschokercurse2020202)..more of a flash kinda coach..

this guy should do the trick...and why not becuse next year will be as dissapointing with the same crew..

Barry in SJ ..All the Way 2012...The March to Mediocracy Has Arrived..

buzz_large.jpg?1266439076

Sounds like a system that would need more support than just from the coach, a cultural thing not present in all clubs? At least the discipline part.

They hurt from lack of playmakers systemically. It's chronic. Either they don't identify or they quash the guys that they get in their development process. My take is that it is identification, because they have developed a couple. They are gold on identifying goalies and dmen so there isn't a whole lot to tweak. And Trotz has tweaked them to a system which causes easier plays to occur more frequently.

They probably have a better handle on discipline than a lot of teams like the Habs, Flames, Leafs, Jackets, Sharks, now Kings, etc.

3. A few hockey people are surprised the coaching market's been "so quiet." Montreal and Calgary are vacant, Edmonton and Columbus are in a holding pattern, Vancouver wants to extend Alain Vigneault and Washington awaits Dale Hunter's decision. Some of it is because candidates are still coaching, some of it is because teams hoped Vigneault, Quenneville or Todd McLellan would be free. (If San Jose lets McLellan go, he'd be snapped up in a second.) But it could also be because teams don't want to risk paying two salaries with the possibility of a lockout.

4. One bit of coaching gossip is that Bryan Marchment could join the San Jose staff. He is currently a scout.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/05/quenneville-uses-leverage-plus-30-thoughts.html

"You always follow who has success. You have to acknowledge it and you have to evaluate it."-Dougie

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/04/26/nhl-playoffs-show-hints-of-dead-puck-era/

No leadership. Just followers. That is the Shark's problem from Ownership (DW is in charge), the Management (We follow who ever has had success), Coaching (the PK is a problem we gave to the players), to the C and As (we're playing well, we're just not getting the bounces), to the energy guys (throw another tantrum Clowe. Show us how mad you are). They are all looking outside themselves. There good at following. So good that they make the playoffs often. They win often. Winning battles, losign wars.

"You always follow who has success. You have to acknowledge it and you have to evaluate it."-Dougie

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/04/26/nhl-playoffs-show-hints-of-dead-puck-era/

No leadership. Just followers. That is the Shark's problem from Ownership (DW is in charge), the Management (We follow who ever has had success), Coaching (the PK is a problem we gave to the players), to the C and As (we're playing well, we're just not getting the bounces), to the energy guys (throw another tantrum Clowe. Show us how mad you are). They are all looking outside themselves. There good at following. So good that they make the playoffs often. They win often. Winning battles, losign wars.

Best year end recap so far