SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Fan Territory

Will the Sharks make the playoffs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
193 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the Sharks make the playoffs? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Will the Sharks make the playoffs?

1. Not a chance. (15 votes [31.91%])

Percentage of vote: 31.91%

2. of course, I'm super fan. (3 votes [6.38%])

Percentage of vote: 6.38%

3. Yes, they have games in hand. (14 votes [29.79%])

Percentage of vote: 29.79%

4. Even controlling there own fate they choke it away on the last game. (15 votes [31.91%])

Percentage of vote: 31.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 FoamyTheSquirrel

FoamyTheSquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,736 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

Anybody else noticed that Vlasic has started going into 2009 brainfart mode a few too many times for comfort lately?

You knew it was bound to happen, but I must admit it took longer than I figured. I guess that's improvement...
I start conversations with 'As a vegan...' when I don't want to talk to that person anymore...

#182 GT3BB

GT3BB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,679 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

I wonder if this squad knows it ok to win a game in regulation?

#183 Archibald_Cunningham

Archibald_Cunningham

CCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostSJeasy, on 25 March 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

Pretty much, the Sharks don't have the tie-breakers, so they have to get in with a clear win.  Dallas should be favorites for the division by a pretty good margin and they hold the big tie-breaker on all others.

I'd have the Sharks at about even odds to grab the 7 or 8 seed.  I figure Calgary is toast.

If the Sharks do indeed manage to beat the Avs tomorrow (OT/SO or regulation), you could probably count them out as well. I would say 95 points looks like a reasonable estimate for the 8th spot, and the Avs would need to win out to get there.

Disagree on the Stars being the division favorite. LA's play as of late should give them the edge IMO, even with their upcoming road trip.

As for the Sharks, probably comes down to them and Yotes for the final spot, and I agree it is a toss up.

#184 SJeasy

SJeasy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,360 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostArchibald_Cunningham, on 25 March 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

If the Sharks do indeed manage to beat the Avs tomorrow (OT/SO or regulation), you could probably count them out as well. I would say 95 points looks like a reasonable estimate for the 8th spot, and the Avs would need to win out to get there.

Disagree on the Stars being the division favorite. LA's play as of late should give them the edge IMO, even with their upcoming road trip.

As for the Sharks, probably comes down to them and Yotes for the final spot, and I agree it is a toss up.
I am aware of LA's bump since the Carter arrival.  I am counting on Sutter to screw it up for the Kings.  He coaches by gut feel more than most other coaches.  Not a lot of strategy in his game.  I give GG, Tippett and TM the edge on Sutter in strategy.

#185 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,268 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostArchibald_Cunningham, on 25 March 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

I think that both calgary and colorado essentially have to win out to have a shot without a lot of help. The pacific division is literally wide open with sharks having 2 games against the stars. if they take both of them and they have dominated them enough thats a realistic possibility, the sharks are probably the favorite.

#186 randompro42

randompro42

lim{∑ai | A ∈ F}

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

View PostCaptainHammer, on 25 March 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

Anybody else noticed that Vlasic has started going into 2009 brainfart mode a few too many times for comfort lately?

You knew it was bound to happen, but I must admit it took longer than I figured. I guess that's improvement...

i have to disagree with the relapse theory, but will agree that he starts to get lazy/stupid when he gets fatigued

and he looked really tired at the end of the second yesterday

TRO
Posted Image

#187 PlaywithGutz

PlaywithGutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostCaptainHammer, on 25 March 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

wow..we should have listened to your incredible Vlasic insights rather than calling you a lunatic....your powers must stem from your powerful red hair....... :unsure:
SJ's Mr. Playoff's 2012 Numbers...JR-Nail-Head....
0 0 0 -1 4 0
Posted Image

#188 FoamyTheSquirrel

FoamyTheSquirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,736 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:37 AM

View Postrandompro42, on 25 March 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

i have to disagree with the relapse theory, but will agree that he starts to get lazy/stupid when he gets fatigued

and he looked really tired at the end of the second yesterday

TRO
The problem with Vlasic, is that because he he has no offense, ho hitting and no physicality to his game, he has to play virtually flawless defense in order to be effective. It's the downside to being such a one-dimensional Dman.

If Burns, Boyle, Braun or Demers are having a bad game defensively they can make up for it in the offensive zone or the breakout. If Murray is having a bad game positionally, he can turn green and put on purple pants.

Vlasic has nothing else to bring to the table.
I start conversations with 'As a vegan...' when I don't want to talk to that person anymore...

#189 PlaywithGutz

PlaywithGutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostCaptainHammer, on 26 March 2012 - 04:37 AM, said:

The problem with Vlasic, is that because he he has no offense, ho hitting and no physicality to his game, he has to play virtually flawless defense in order to be effective. It's the downside to being such a one-dimensional Dman.

If Burns, Boyle, Braun or Demers are having a bad game defensively they can make up for it in the offensive zone or the breakout. If Murray is having a bad game positionally, he can turn green and put on purple pants.

another one of Sambo's classics....Sam you are spending way to much time on your doggy stained carpet....
SJ's Mr. Playoff's 2012 Numbers...JR-Nail-Head....
0 0 0 -1 4 0
Posted Image

#190 Tharr43

Tharr43

mayor of simpleton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,299 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Poll is over.

30 fans have faith.
15 voting they would choke.  that induced  reverse mojo caused  JT to wake up from a year long coma and lead the team to a berth.

the question still remains?  

Where for f u c k sakes is Captain Blinky? :angry:
Posted Image

#191 Tharr43

Tharr43

mayor of simpleton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,299 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostTharr43, on 05 April 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Poll is over.

30 fans have faith.
15 voting they would choke.  that induced  reverse mojo caused  JT to wake up from a year long coma and lead the team to a berth.

the question still remains?  

Where for f u c k sakes is Captain Blinky? :angry:

again i strike with the reverse mojo.  :D   nice PP goal blinky!   watching on tivo.
Posted Image

#192 John96

John96

John

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,670 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostCaptainHammer, on 26 March 2012 - 04:37 AM, said:

He may not bring much else to the table but I don't know if anyone else brings as much defense to the table as Marc-Edouard Vlasic.

#193 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,268 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Yes.

#194 OrangeJ

OrangeJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

At what point does McLellan go back to the drawing board and make the correct "adjustments" to the penalty kill? I just dont understand how having a passive box set-up in the defensive zone with a team full of passive players is ever going to succeed?  It's not as if the Sharks have a slow team with slow PKer's, unless Marleau, Moore, Mitchell, and Winnik have completely forgotten how to skate? I could swear that McLellan's past systems all used to pressure the point men and players along the half boards and were successful.  As I look at the top PK teams in the league they all use a high pressure system to kill penalties, so why not the Sharks?  Is it too late to change this? Possibly be more of a threat short handed and just kill penalties more effectively?  

Of course the goalie has to be the best penalty killer on the ice and Niemi has been, "Like Sieve" this year. But the top face-off team should have no problem killing penalties unless there is an issue with the system.  And I dont buy into the "Sharks had a bad start to the season with the PK", they have been consistently awful all year.  I just hope it gets fixed soon, because this team will NOT survive in the playoffs.

End of Rant.
Sharks will win the cup? Sheeeeeeeeit..

Image Map