SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Fan Territory

2012 Trade Deadline updates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2759 replies to this topic

#121 SJeasy

SJeasy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,511 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostNola, on 06 February 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

I've mentioned Moen in the past but I've always thought he was unlikely due to the fact that he didn't seem to succeed much last time around.

It does seem like Florida would likely be willing to part with one of their forwards since they have so many but it's hard to figure out which ones.
Samuelsson, Sturm, Barch and Madden have the expiring contracts.  Sturm is out 3-4 weeks with a knee injury.  They just got Barch and Madden who have no value.  They had to sign guys like Bergenheim and Goc and Kopecky to multi-year deals to get them to come to Florida but it lowers their trade value.  Besides all that, Florida is frontrunning in the hunt for their division lead, probably about 50/50 to win the division and secure a playoff spot.  Getting to the playoffs would be a big thing for them businesswise.  This is topped off by their not having much prospect depth.  If they trade a guy, their best prospects are still in junior.  Most of their AHL depth is trash.  The only guy I see them trying to unload is Skille who has another year left.  Maybe Samuelsson if they fall out of the race quickly.

#122 FlamingShark

FlamingShark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

I think Ruutu is out of reach. Too many teams after him with a lot more to offer than Sharks.

Gaustad is just another Zeus, I'd rather have Moen but he's not great either.

We need a miracle. Similar to what Bergenheim did last year, maybe Mitchell is up to that? ;)

#123 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,440 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostSJeasy, on 06 February 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Samuelsson, Sturm, Barch and Madden have the expiring contracts.  Sturm is out 3-4 weeks with a knee injury.  They just got Barch and Madden who have no value.  They had to sign guys like Bergenheim and Goc and Kopecky to multi-year deals to get them to come to Florida but it lowers their trade value.  Besides all that, Florida is frontrunning in the hunt for their division lead, probably about 50/50 to win the division and secure a playoff spot.  Getting to the playoffs would be a big thing for them businesswise.  This is topped off by their not having much prospect depth.  If they trade a guy, their best prospects are still in junior.  Most of their AHL depth is trash.  The only guy I see them trying to unload is Skille who has another year left.  Maybe Samuelsson if they fall out of the race quickly.
I was thinking more like in a swap for a defenseman (Murray? Demers?)and not someone expiring. Wouldn't be a rental pickup.

#124 SJeasy

SJeasy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,511 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostNola, on 06 February 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

I was thinking more like in a swap for a defenseman (Murray? Demers?)and not someone expiring. Wouldn't be a rental pickup.
They don't need dmen, they need skill forwards.  Dmen: Campbell, Garrison, Kulikov, Weaver, Jovo with Gudbranson and Ellerby (both high picks) splitting the 6 spot.  They are set on defense.  They have Strachan and Yonkman for emergency vet callups.

Their second line production is an issue.  Goc has been running second line minutes.  Matthias is getting his opportunity.  And, they need wingers to supplement the second line center.  Upshall, Samuelsson, Sturm, Bergenheim and Kopecky are all realistically 3rd liners at best.  Their top line is Versteeg/Weiss/Flash and they are all really only second line players.  Their best bet internally is pray that Matthias becomes a second line PF/wing, switching him from center.  Then hope that Huberdeau nails down one of the top 2 center spots next year.  Then find another top 6 wing on the market.  The saving grace for them is that Kopecky/Goc/Bergenheim is solid defensively.  The Euro line does have chemistry which boosts scoring if they are all healthy.

#125 Seattle__Sam

Seattle__Sam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,822 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostSJeasy, on 06 February 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Ruutu is a better option than Gaustad.  45 goals means 15 each.  Gaustad hasn't ever hit 15 and he has had more than enough prime minutes to do so because he has had significant PP time in the past.  The 45 doesn't have to spread 15-15-15, 20-15-10 is just as good.  The thing is that it is a minimum just to be average.  Both Handzus and Mitchell are far short, looking to fall below 10.  Even more disconcerting is that both have had significant top 6 or PP time to get their numbers up.  McGinn is producing with the least top6/PP time.

Here are some other names, Bergenheim, Ward, Simmonds, LaRose, that fit the bill.
I don't get the Gaustad love. He's basically another Handzus at this point, and that's the last thing the Sharks need right now. Ruutu is the MUCH better fit. Better skater, more production and a nastier temperment.
Left wing politicians take away your liberty in the name of children and fighting poverty. Right wing politicians take away your liberty in the name of family values and fighting drugs. Either way, government gets bigger and you become less free.

#126 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,440 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostSJeasy, on 06 February 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

They don't need dmen, they need skill forwards.  Dmen: Campbell, Garrison, Kulikov, Weaver, Jovo with Gudbranson and Ellerby (both high picks) splitting the 6 spot.  They are set on defense.  They have Strachan and Yonkman for emergency vet callups.

Their second line production is an issue.  Goc has been running second line minutes.  Matthias is getting his opportunity.  And, they need wingers to supplement the second line center.  Upshall, Samuelsson, Sturm, Bergenheim and Kopecky are all realistically 3rd liners at best.  Their top line is Versteeg/Weiss/Flash and they are all really only second line players.  Their best bet internally is pray that Matthias becomes a second line PF/wing, switching him from center.  Then hope that Huberdeau nails down one of the top 2 center spots next year.  Then find another top 6 wing on the market.  The saving grace for them is that Kopecky/Goc/Bergenheim is solid defensively.  The Euro line does have chemistry which boosts scoring if they are all healthy.

You think they want to go into the playoffs with that defensive group? No way. They need another piece. Ellerby and Gudbranson aren't ready yet. Look at how protected their minutes are. I agree that they need high level forwards but they probably aren't getting one of those packaging a bunch of top 9 forwards together. They have, what, 15 NHL forwards? They'd vastly improve themselves moving one of them for defensive depth because as you have noted before, Jovo blows now as well.

#127 charlemagne

charlemagne

suck it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

View Posterock-1, on 06 February 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

Was just about to post this - I was excited when the Sharks first acquired him, but was disappointed with his performance in his short time here. Not too thrilled with the possibility of him returning.
yeah he was underwhelming. and what were the circumstances around his departure? was he not offered a contract, or did he get out of sj as soon as he could?
Posted Image

#128 sjshark714

sjshark714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

Please, Please, Please DO NOT bring back Travis Moen.  He is a waste.  After his first stint in San Jose why would we ever, ever want him here again?  DO NOT MAKE THAT DEAL DOUG!!!

#129 SJeasy

SJeasy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,511 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostNola, on 06 February 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

You think they want to go into the playoffs with that defensive group? No way. They need another piece. Ellerby and Gudbranson aren't ready yet. Look at how protected their minutes are. I agree that they need high level forwards but they probably aren't getting one of those packaging a bunch of top 9 forwards together. They have, what, 15 NHL forwards? They'd vastly improve themselves moving one of them for defensive depth because as you have noted before, Jovo blows now as well.
I think they would far prefer forwards over dmen.  They can run the top 4 dmen (I ordered it previously) into the ground.  IMO, Ellerby is a bust.  If he isn't ready yet, he isn't going to be.  IMO, Tallon has been throwing it at the wall on forwards to see what sticks.  I don't know how much more room he has budget wise and with roster space limitations to continue that method.  The only thing he got out of Skille was getting rid of the Olesz contract.  I agree that Jovo is washed up, another huge mistake on a contract.  He saved himself with Garrison and Weaver being diamonds in the rough.  Kulikov is a stud in the making.

#130 Shark-Ninja

Shark-Ninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

If San Jose pursuing Selanne is true, what do you think the Sharks would have to give up. As he is the Ducks most valuable player right now.

#131 Shark-Ninja

Shark-Ninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

View PostXxBMW85xX, on 06 February 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

What was the timeline for Havlat? Was it 6 to 8, or 8 to 10?

Getting pretty close either way.

He is suppose to be back by late February

#132 FlamingShark

FlamingShark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostShark-Ninja, on 06 February 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

If San Jose pursuing Selanne is true, what do you think the Sharks would have to give up. As he is the Ducks most valuable player right now.

Probably a 1st rounder or at very least Minny's 2nd + decent prospect. I wouldn't do it.

#133 deepblue501

deepblue501

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Ruuttu would be a good addition, but we won't get him. Why is nobody talking about Smyth? He would be a fantastic addition imo. Though the price would be quite high probably. I also agree that Moen might not be a great fit, but knowing Doug that will exactly be the deal they make...

oh yeah, and please do not get selanne. I love him, but he is slowly getting old, he lacks real motivation and the price would be very steep.

Also on nhl.com they are openly talking about Moen:
http://www.nhl.com/i...ost.htm?id=6193

#134 franklin_turtle

franklin_turtle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,674 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

View Postdeepblue501, on 06 February 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

Ruuttu would be a good addition, but we won't get him. Why is nobody talking about Smyth? He would be a fantastic addition imo. Though the price would be quite high probably. I also agree that Moen might not be a great fit, but knowing Doug that will exactly be the deal they make...

oh yeah, and please do not go selanne. I love him, but he is slowly getting old, he lacks real motivation and the price would be very steep.
Smythe has been mentioned.  A rumour is out there that he is willing to go to the Rangers but he quashed that:

Edmonton Oilers winger Ryan Smyth didn't lend much credence to a report by the New York Post that he'd be receptive to waiving his no-trade clause to join the New York Rangers.

“First I’ve heard of it,” Smyth said when he was asked about the report, according to the Edmonton Sun.

Posted ImageRyan Smyth has done his fair share of moving. (AP Photo)“Who’s Larry Brooks?”

“I haven’t even really thought about it to be honest,” he continued. “They would have to approach me first and nobody’s approached me. It’s not something that I’ve thought much about.”

Asked if he’d consider joining a contender if asked, the veteran said he’s tired of the address changes.

“I’ve moved four times in the last five years,” he said. “I wanted to come back here for a reason.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingn...h#ixzz1lduiW0Cr

Doesn't sound interested in  moving but who knows.

#135 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,440 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

View PostFranklin_Turtle, on 06 February 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

Posted Image

The only acceptable Ryan Smyth photo is this one...

Posted Image

Cue the Marbles jokes.

#136 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 59,276 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostFranklin_Turtle, on 06 February 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

Posted Image “Who’s Larry Brooks?”

Exactly.

#137 GT3BB

GT3BB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,833 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostFlamingShark, on 06 February 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Probably a 1st rounder or at very least Minny's 2nd + decent prospect. I wouldn't do it.

Considering we gave Jeff Friesen Shields and a second 10 years ago, that seems pretty steep.

#138 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,440 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostSJeasy, on 06 February 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

I think they would far prefer forwards over dmen.  They can run the top 4 dmen (I ordered it previously) into the ground.  IMO, Ellerby is a bust.  If he isn't ready yet, he isn't going to be.  IMO, Tallon has been throwing it at the wall on forwards to see what sticks.  I don't know how much more room he has budget wise and with roster space limitations to continue that method.  The only thing he got out of Skille was getting rid of the Olesz contract.  I agree that Jovo is washed up, another huge mistake on a contract.  He saved himself with Garrison and Weaver being diamonds in the rough.  Kulikov is a stud in the making.

They should be calling on Carter (though no clue why he would waive to go there) and the Buffalo guys as well. I just don't see how they acquire a 1st line forward without giving up too much and they still won't be able to win with that blueline.

And what's the point of acquiring even more top 9 forwards? I get top line forwards but I don't see the point in picking up top 9 forawrds.

Pretty clear it was a bad move by Tallon to essentially just waive Booth (well, he's getting one year out of Samuelsson at least but Sturm shouldn't be a regular in the NHL at this point). The Sharks sure could have used his speed.

#139 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,440 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostGT3BB, on 06 February 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Considering we gave Jeff Friesen Shields and a second 10 years ago, that seems pretty steep.

A rare funny comment by GT3BB, though, of course it reads like something a 10 year old wrote.

#140 SJeasy

SJeasy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,511 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostNola, on 06 February 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

They should be calling on Carter (though no clue why he would waive to go there) and the Buffalo guys as well. I just don't see how they acquire a 1st line forward without giving up too much and they still won't be able to win with that blueline.

And what's the point of acquiring even more top 9 forwards? I get top line forwards but I don't see the point in picking up top 9 forawrds.

Pretty clear it was a bad move by Tallon to essentially just waive Booth (well, he's getting one year out of Samuelsson at least but Sturm shouldn't be a regular in the NHL at this point). The Sharks sure could have used his speed.
They aren't worried about what happens in the playoffs, they are worried about getting there.  Their biggest issue is that they have nothing when their top line gets shut down.  It's funny because Goc, Bergenheim, Kopecky and the blueline have won a few games for them on their own.  But the secondary offense is a far cry from most teams.  They need scoring to get to the playoffs.  Agree that the Booth move was a mistake; he is a solid second line forward when healthy.  If healthy, no less than 2nd best forward on the team behind Versteeg.

Another big need is cleaning out the trash that Tallon acquired when throwing stuff at the wall.  Tallon will have a big off season getting rid of the garbage.

Carter isn't quite it although close.  A winger would be better with Huberdeau coming along.  If they get Carter, Carter should be converted to wing next year.  I don't see that they have the pieces to acquire Carter and I wouldn't do Huberdeau for Carter.  Too high risk.  Playmakers have a higher effect on win% than snipers.  Carter is a sniper, Huberdeau a playmaker.  I could see them running Huberdeau, Weiss, Goc down the middle as more than adequate and they would be able to switch Matthias or Kopecky to center in the event of injury.

Image Map