Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

petshark

2012 Trade Deadline updates

2,760 posts in this topic

They don't need dmen, they need skill forwards. Dmen: Campbell, Garrison, Kulikov, Weaver, Jovo with Gudbranson and Ellerby (both high picks) splitting the 6 spot. They are set on defense. They have Strachan and Yonkman for emergency vet callups.

Their second line production is an issue. Goc has been running second line minutes. Matthias is getting his opportunity. And, they need wingers to supplement the second line center. Upshall, Samuelsson, Sturm, Bergenheim and Kopecky are all realistically 3rd liners at best. Their top line is Versteeg/Weiss/Flash and they are all really only second line players. Their best bet internally is pray that Matthias becomes a second line PF/wing, switching him from center. Then hope that Huberdeau nails down one of the top 2 center spots next year. Then find another top 6 wing on the market. The saving grace for them is that Kopecky/Goc/Bergenheim is solid defensively. The Euro line does have chemistry which boosts scoring if they are all healthy.

You think they want to go into the playoffs with that defensive group? No way. They need another piece. Ellerby and Gudbranson aren't ready yet. Look at how protected their minutes are. I agree that they need high level forwards but they probably aren't getting one of those packaging a bunch of top 9 forwards together. They have, what, 15 NHL forwards? They'd vastly improve themselves moving one of them for defensive depth because as you have noted before, Jovo blows now as well.

Was just about to post this - I was excited when the Sharks first acquired him, but was disappointed with his performance in his short time here. Not too thrilled with the possibility of him returning.

yeah he was underwhelming. and what were the circumstances around his departure? was he not offered a contract, or did he get out of sj as soon as he could?

Please, Please, Please DO NOT bring back Travis Moen. He is a waste. After his first stint in San Jose why would we ever, ever want him here again? DO NOT MAKE THAT DEAL DOUG!!!

You think they want to go into the playoffs with that defensive group? No way. They need another piece. Ellerby and Gudbranson aren't ready yet. Look at how protected their minutes are. I agree that they need high level forwards but they probably aren't getting one of those packaging a bunch of top 9 forwards together. They have, what, 15 NHL forwards? They'd vastly improve themselves moving one of them for defensive depth because as you have noted before, Jovo blows now as well.

I think they would far prefer forwards over dmen. They can run the top 4 dmen (I ordered it previously) into the ground. IMO, Ellerby is a bust. If he isn't ready yet, he isn't going to be. IMO, Tallon has been throwing it at the wall on forwards to see what sticks. I don't know how much more room he has budget wise and with roster space limitations to continue that method. The only thing he got out of Skille was getting rid of the Olesz contract. I agree that Jovo is washed up, another huge mistake on a contract. He saved himself with Garrison and Weaver being diamonds in the rough. Kulikov is a stud in the making.

If San Jose pursuing Selanne is true, what do you think the Sharks would have to give up. As he is the Ducks most valuable player right now.

What was the timeline for Havlat? Was it 6 to 8, or 8 to 10?

Getting pretty close either way.

He is suppose to be back by late February

If San Jose pursuing Selanne is true, what do you think the Sharks would have to give up. As he is the Ducks most valuable player right now.

Probably a 1st rounder or at very least Minny's 2nd + decent prospect. I wouldn't do it.

Ruuttu would be a good addition, but we won't get him. Why is nobody talking about Smyth? He would be a fantastic addition imo. Though the price would be quite high probably. I also agree that Moen might not be a great fit, but knowing Doug that will exactly be the deal they make...

oh yeah, and please do not get selanne. I love him, but he is slowly getting old, he lacks real motivation and the price would be very steep.

Also on nhl.com they are openly talking about Moen:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=6193

Ruuttu would be a good addition, but we won't get him. Why is nobody talking about Smyth? He would be a fantastic addition imo. Though the price would be quite high probably. I also agree that Moen might not be a great fit, but knowing Doug that will exactly be the deal they make...

oh yeah, and please do not go selanne. I love him, but he is slowly getting old, he lacks real motivation and the price would be very steep.

Smythe has been mentioned. A rumour is out there that he is willing to go to the Rangers but he quashed that:

Edmonton Oilers winger Ryan Smyth didn't lend much credence to a report by the New York Post that he'd be receptive to waiving his no-trade clause to join the New York Rangers.

“First I’ve heard of it,” Smyth said when he was asked about the report, according to the Edmonton Sun.

76894-330-0.jpgRyan Smyth has done his fair share of moving. (AP Photo)“Who’s Larry Brooks?”

“I haven’t even really thought about it to be honest,” he continued. “They would have to approach me first and nobody’s approached me. It’s not something that I’ve thought much about.”

Asked if he’d consider joining a contender if asked, the veteran said he’s tired of the address changes.

“I’ve moved four times in the last five years,” he said. “I wanted to come back here for a reason.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/feed/2012-01/nhl-trade-deadline/story/nhl-trade-deadline-rangers-trade-rumors-ryan-smyth#ixzz1lduiW0Cr

Doesn't sound interested in moving but who knows.

Probably a 1st rounder or at very least Minny's 2nd + decent prospect. I wouldn't do it.

Considering we gave Jeff Friesen Shields and a second 10 years ago, that seems pretty steep.

I think they would far prefer forwards over dmen. They can run the top 4 dmen (I ordered it previously) into the ground. IMO, Ellerby is a bust. If he isn't ready yet, he isn't going to be. IMO, Tallon has been throwing it at the wall on forwards to see what sticks. I don't know how much more room he has budget wise and with roster space limitations to continue that method. The only thing he got out of Skille was getting rid of the Olesz contract. I agree that Jovo is washed up, another huge mistake on a contract. He saved himself with Garrison and Weaver being diamonds in the rough. Kulikov is a stud in the making.

They should be calling on Carter (though no clue why he would waive to go there) and the Buffalo guys as well. I just don't see how they acquire a 1st line forward without giving up too much and they still won't be able to win with that blueline.

And what's the point of acquiring even more top 9 forwards? I get top line forwards but I don't see the point in picking up top 9 forawrds.

Pretty clear it was a bad move by Tallon to essentially just waive Booth (well, he's getting one year out of Samuelsson at least but Sturm shouldn't be a regular in the NHL at this point). The Sharks sure could have used his speed.

Considering we gave Jeff Friesen Shields and a second 10 years ago, that seems pretty steep.

A rare funny comment by GT3BB, though, of course it reads like something a 10 year old wrote.

They should be calling on Carter (though no clue why he would waive to go there) and the Buffalo guys as well. I just don't see how they acquire a 1st line forward without giving up too much and they still won't be able to win with that blueline.

And what's the point of acquiring even more top 9 forwards? I get top line forwards but I don't see the point in picking up top 9 forawrds.

Pretty clear it was a bad move by Tallon to essentially just waive Booth (well, he's getting one year out of Samuelsson at least but Sturm shouldn't be a regular in the NHL at this point). The Sharks sure could have used his speed.

They aren't worried about what happens in the playoffs, they are worried about getting there. Their biggest issue is that they have nothing when their top line gets shut down. It's funny because Goc, Bergenheim, Kopecky and the blueline have won a few games for them on their own. But the secondary offense is a far cry from most teams. They need scoring to get to the playoffs. Agree that the Booth move was a mistake; he is a solid second line forward when healthy. If healthy, no less than 2nd best forward on the team behind Versteeg.

Another big need is cleaning out the trash that Tallon acquired when throwing stuff at the wall. Tallon will have a big off season getting rid of the garbage.

Carter isn't quite it although close. A winger would be better with Huberdeau coming along. If they get Carter, Carter should be converted to wing next year. I don't see that they have the pieces to acquire Carter and I wouldn't do Huberdeau for Carter. Too high risk. Playmakers have a higher effect on win% than snipers. Carter is a sniper, Huberdeau a playmaker. I could see them running Huberdeau, Weiss, Goc down the middle as more than adequate and they would be able to switch Matthias or Kopecky to center in the event of injury.

I liked him. I mean, in the games he played he never did anything terrible.

Did he ever do anything?

I like the hustle in guys like Andrew Murray but it has to end up with some kind of thing. A few bodychecks doesn't cut it. Same thing with Patrick Rissmiller as well as other players the San Jose Sharks have employed on their third and fourth lines in years past. Work ethic is one thing, being able to do something with it is another but maybe just as important.

On the Travis Moen thing, I don't see him coming here. Brad Winchester provides most of what Moen would and better too. Also Winchester seems to have the confidence of the coaching staff judging by his minutes.

Did he ever do anything?

I like the hustle in guys like Andrew Murray but it has to end up with some kind of thing. A few bodychecks doesn't cut it. Same thing with Patrick Rissmiller as well as other players the San Jose Sharks have employed on their third and fourth lines in years past. Work ethic is one thing, being able to do something with it is another but maybe just as important.

On the Travis Moen thing, I don't see him coming here. Brad Winchester provides most of what Moen would and better too. Also Winchester seems to have the confidence of the coaching staff judging by his minutes.

not saying we should have kept him. His games played were getting less and less (healthy scratch) so hopefully he gets picked up. I'm all up for improvement, and I hope this is a sign of things to come.

Easy, what do you think of Vermette?

Distrustful. He has fallen way off even with golden opportunities. He could have easily been a good (not great, great is Pavelski/Couture) second line center. He has the right skills if he is playing up to his potential. The falloff is disconcerting with the time remaining on his contract. If the falloff continues, the contract is a boat anchor.

Distrustful. He has fallen way off even with golden opportunities. He could have easily been a good (not great, great is Pavelski/Couture) second line center. He has the right skills if he is playing up to his potential. The falloff is disconcerting with the time remaining on his contract. If the falloff continues, the contract is a boat anchor.

But look at where he has spent his last few years. As a third-line center in San Jose or second line winger, or even the speed on Joe's wing, it would be hard to imagine Vermette not being able to at least return to the 18 goal, 45 point range. He also has speed and special teams ability. There is certainly risk, but isn't some risk going to be necessary for the Sharks, who really don't have the assets to give up for a good player with a good contract?

But look at where he has spent his last few years. As a third-line center in San Jose or second line winger, or even the speed on Joe's wing, it would be hard to imagine Vermette not being able to at least return to the 18 goal, 45 point range. He also has speed and special teams ability. There is certainly risk, but isn't some risk going to be necessary for the Sharks, who really don't have the assets to give up for a good player with a good contract?

He put up 65 with the Jackets a couple of years ago, another bad team. He is getting the opportunities this year to do the same. Both teams are bad. The progression is 65-47-34(projected), that isn't good. A lot of the falloff is SH%. Some say SH% will return to the mean, but the exceptions are guys who have progressive falloffs, like Cheech. I know the skills are a match for Sharks' needs, but I am not impressed with the risk/benefit ratio because of the contract. I would not be worried if the risk was only for this year.

Additionally, he has a huge dropoff on playoff production.

i don't understand why Dougie would be going for Moen.. and I actually like Moen, but he isn't the type the Sharks need, too redundant

he helps the pk but thats all he'd bring to the team that this team does not already have

Hemsky A.Kostitsyn or Ruutu. Easy, what would the Sharks have to give up for any one of these three?

from Bob McKenzie of TSN,

General manager Jim Rutherford has been talking to teams about Ruutu (who is an unrestricted free agent this summer) and the asking price has been steep - a significant draft pick and a solid prospect or a top prospect alone. Ruuttu has the ability to both score goals and play a physical game, so a lot of teams have interest - including the Vancouver Canucks, Los Angeles Kings, Chicago Blackhawks, Minnesota Wild and New York Rangers amongst others.

The Rangers, for example, figure Ruutu is just the type of Top 9 forward that could play coach John Tortorella’s demanding style.

Two questions, though.

Will teams pay that price?

And more importantly, is Ruutu actually available? That will be determined this week when Rutherford decides whether to give him the ‘Tim Gleason treatment.’

i don't understand why Dougie would be going for Moen.. and I actually like Moen, but he isn't the type the Sharks need, too redundant

he helps the pk but thats all he'd bring to the team that this team does not already have

Hemsky A.Kostitsyn or Ruutu. Easy, what would the Sharks have to give up for any one of these three?

Best guess:

Hemsky 1st+ or established top 3 dman

Ruutu 1st (1st because of demand with Ruutu being the most sought after)

AK 2nd

Problem is that AK and Hemsky are more playmaker than forechecker. The Sharks need forecheckers, PK and a little bit of snipe. AK has the snipe but that is about it. Ruutu is all three things but he is pure rental which DW also said that he didn't want.

Moen is a 4th line forechecker and the Sharks have what he does in spades except for lower line PK. They have plenty of lower line forecheckers that can't play top 6. I laid out why I wouldn't be at all interested in Moen.

Finally, I think DW would be incredibly stupid to give up a pick only for Moen now as that would constrain him further on a more impactful trade later. He only has one contract slot open and he would devalue his pick by including a player to the Habs. Save the slot for a can't miss pickup, someone who is solidly a third liner or preferably tweener/top 6.

Best guess:

Hemsky 1st+ or established top 3 dman

Ruutu 1st (1st because of demand with Ruutu being the most sought after)

AK 2nd

Problem is that AK and Hemsky are more playmaker than forechecker. The Sharks need forecheckers, PK and a little bit of snipe. AK has the snipe but that is about it. Ruutu is all three things but he is pure rental which DW also said that he didn't want.

Moen is a 4th line forechecker and the Sharks have what he does in spades except for lower line PK. They have plenty of lower line forecheckers that can't play top 6. I laid out why I wouldn't be at all interested in Moen.

Finally, I think DW would be incredibly stupid to give up a pick only for Moen now as that would constrain him further on a more impactful trade later. He only has one contract slot open and he would devalue his pick by including a player to the Habs. Save the slot for a can't miss pickup, someone who is solidly a third liner or preferably tweener/top 6.

I don't mind Moen if it's a move that says "we don't trust McCarthy or Murray to hold down a fourth line spot in the playoffs" because I agree with that sentiment. If Moen comes in to replace Mitchell on the third line, then I'm not a fan. That said, Moen is having a career year, and is on pace to out score 2/3 of the current third line.

What about Ray Whitney?