Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spittin_Chicklets

Government Subsidizing Obesity in U.S.

227 posts in this topic

Feds are spending billions of dollars to subsidize junk food, Iowa report shows

Sep 21, 2011 | by Jason Clayworth

The federal government has on average spent more than $1 billion a year in taxpayer money to subsidize four common food additives linked to obesity, according to a report from an Iowa research group.

“At a time when one in five kids aged 6 to 11 is now obese, it’s absurd that we’re spending billions of taxpayer dollars making the problem worse,” said Sonia Ashe, an advocate for the Iowa Public Interest Research Group, a nonprofit, nonpartisan public interest advocacy organization.

* Between 1995 and 2010, $16.9 billion in tax dollars specifically subsidized four common food additives ‐ corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, corn starch, and soy oils (better known as hydrogenated vegetable oils). At $7.36 per taxpayer per year, that would buy each taxpayer 19 Twinkies.

* Outside of commodity crops, other agricultural products receive very little in federal subsidies. Since 1995, taxpayers spent only $262 million subsidizing apples, which is the only significant federal subsidy of fresh fruits or vegetables. That breaks down to 11 cents per taxpayer per year, which would buy less than a quarter of a Red Delicious apple.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2011/09/21/feds-are-spending-billions-of-dollars-to-subsidize-junk-food-iowa-report-shows/

21 people like this

"less than 3.5 percent of the U.S. corn supply is used to make high fructose corn syrup."

The Corn Refiners Association.

LOL.

That is one of four products reported in the story. Of course you left off a little bit of information when you posted that statistic. Less than 10% of the corn produced in the country is used for food. By subsidizing it is making the price of other, healthier foods artificially inflated and therefore less attractive to consumers, especially those at or below poverty level.

But it doesn't surprise me at all that GT would support subsidizing these farmers... I mean you are all about a free market, right?

What a hypocrite...

That is one of four products reported in the story. Of course you left off a little bit of information when you posted that statistic. Less than 10% of the corn produced in the country is used for food. By subsidizing it is making the price of other, healthier foods artificially inflated and therefore less attractive to consumers, especially those at or below poverty level.

But it doesn't surprise me at all that GT would support subsidizing these farmers... I mean you are all about a free market, right?

What a hypocrite...

You are right, much of it goes to those stupid ethanol programs you are all gaga over.

You are right, much of it goes to those stupid ethanol programs you are all gaga over.

Which is also subsidized...

Oh, and what makes you think I'm in favor of ethanol? I have come out against it many times. It takes more energy to produce ethanol than it yields. It's stupid and expensive. An it also drives up food prices.

Biodiesel is where it's at.

"less than 3.5 percent of the U.S. corn supply is used to make high fructose corn syrup."

The Corn Refiners Association.

LOL.

GT, you're in complete denial about the obesity epidemic, aren't you? Be honest... how fat are you?

GT, you're in complete denial about the obesity epidemic, aren't you? Be honest... how fat are you?

Not really, I believe true Americans must allow a certain level of indulgence to our fellow Americans in the defense of liberties....and to a lesser degree, I believe this belongs at the state level.

As does Thomas Jefferson.

Not really, I believe true Americans must allow a certain level of indulgence to our fellow Americans in the defense of liberties....and to a lesser degree, I believe this belongs at the state level.

As does Thomas Jefferson.

If you believe in a true free market society, why on earth would you come out in support of government subsidies for producers of anything, let alone high fructose corn syrup?

You make no sense. A true conservative and proponent of a free market economy would be outraged that the government is falsely inflating the price of one food in favor of another.

You see, GT, this is why you are not conservative. You are not capable of taking a conservative stance on anything that is not spoon fed to you.

The problem is that GT thinks that this is a personal choice issue, and on the surface he is right. As an American, we should be free to choose what we want to eat, and if we want to gorge on junk food and bacon cheeseburgers, that should be our choice, right? I believe that is true, just so long as I am not paying for it or the consequences of those actions.

Where I take issue is when the government is falsely inflating the price of some foods, in favor of those that are fattening. The issue is that by offering these subsidies to corn producers it is making the products made with there products artificially less expensive.

I like the work of the Let's Move campaign, but I think they also need to look at these subsidies, and quite frankly do away with them. Unfortunately, the reasons for farm subsidies are largely a piece of ancient history. The family farm is all but gone now and what we have are huge farming conglomerates taking advantage of government subsidies and sucking on the government teat. It is just more example of government waste and special interest getting rich off political cronyism.

If you believe in a true free market society, why on earth would you come out in support of government subsidies for producers of anything, let alone high fructose corn syrup?

You make no sense. A true conservative and proponent of a free market economy would be outraged that the government is falsely inflating the price of one food in favor of another.

You see, GT, this is why you are not conservative. You are not capable of taking a conservative stance on anything that is not spoon fed to you.

I merely explained the relative inequity of cherry picking the subsidy program to advance the first ladys obesity agenda, I said nothing about supporting the concept of government subsidies.

The problem is that GT thinks that this is a personal choice issue, and on the surface he is right. As an American, we should be free to choose what we want to eat, and if we want to gorge on junk food and bacon cheeseburgers, that should be our choice, right? I believe that is true, just so long as I am not paying for it or the consequences of those actions.

Nice utopian argument in theory, in practice, not so.

Once you don the cap of citizenship, the preservation of liberties forbids you from divorcing yourself from those consequences, once you marry into the family, you agree to accept(with limits) the redheaded stepchild from hell....if you choose to reject that commitment, the cohesiveness of the family crumbles.

Once you don the cap of citizenship, the preservation of liberties forbids you from divorcing yourself from those consequences, once you marry into the family, you agree to accept(with limits) the redheaded stepchild from hell....if you choose to reject that commitment, the cohesiveness of the family crumbles.

So naturally, you completely support the decriminalization of marijuana... as well as crack, heroine and meth.

I merely explained the relative inequity of cherry picking the subsidy program to advance the first ladys obesity agenda, I said nothing about supporting the concept of government subsidies.

Oh, so you were being completely irrelevant, yet again... shocking.

Oh, and it isn't the "first lady's obesity agenda". It is a cause that she has chosen to support, as is the tradition for first ladies.

Obesity in America is a very real problem that has been publicized well before Obama took office.

The WHO calls obesity a global epidemic.

http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/publications/facts/obesity/en/

The past three surgeon generals have all said that obesity in America is a epidemic levels. Obesity kills more Americans every year than AIDS, all cancers, and all accidents combined. In the 5th annual survey of adults, childhood obesity was the #1 top concern among those polled.

It's a very real and costly problem, with annual cost estimated at $147 billion.

To deny the issue is simply putting your head in the sand. Not surprising, coming from you.

Oh, so you were being completely irrelevant, yet again... shocking.

Oh, and it isn't the "first lady's obesity agenda". It is a cause that she has chosen to support, as is the tradition for first ladies.

Obesity in America is a very real problem that has been publicized well before Obama took office.

The WHO calls obesity a global epidemic.

http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/publications/facts/obesity/en/

The past three surgeon generals have all said that obesity in America is a epidemic levels. Obesity kills more Americans every year than AIDS, all cancers, and all accidents combined. In the 5th annual survey of adults, childhood obesity was the #1 top concern among those polled.

It's a very real and costly problem, with annual cost estimated at $147 billion.

To deny the issue is simply putting your head in the sand. Not surprising, coming from you.

No, to deny it is to recognize much of the conclusions about obesity are exaggerated in order to push a national agenda.

No, to deny it is to recognize much of the conclusions about obesity are exaggerated in order to push a national agenda.

Certainly you can show a few examples with facts to support you claim.

Seriously... it's pretty hard to over exaggerate the results of something killing more than all cancers, accidents and AIDS combined.

I mean... really hard to over exaggerate that...

So naturally, you completely support the decriminalization of marijuana... as well as crack, heroine and meth.

Seriously... it's pretty hard to over exaggerate the results of something killing more than all cancers, accidents and AIDS combined.

The only thing over exaggerated is the conclusions from the studies which are based on a flawed method of measuring obesity(BMI)...other than that ...great study.

You don't need a "study" to see the problem of obesity in America, GT. All you need do is go to any mall or school campus and look around. All you need do is look at the rising rates of diabetes, joint replacements, heart disease and other obesity related NCDs to see the reality of the epidemic in America.

Regardless of whether you feel that BMI is an accurate measure of obesity or not, the fact of the matter is that Americans are fat and getting fatter. You'd have to be blind not or live under a rock not to recognize that..

You don't need a "study" to see the problem of obesity in America, GT. All you need do is go to any mall or school campus and look around. All you need do is look at the rising rates of diabetes, joint replacements, heart disease and other obesity related NCDs to see the reality of the epidemic in America.

Regardless of whether you feel that BMI is an accurate measure of obesity or not, the fact of the matter is that Americans are fat and getting fatter. You'd have to be blind not or live under a rock not to recognize that..

The one with their head in the sand is you.

Example:

Ever hear of Xavier Pi-Sunyer?

Probably not, Xavier Pi-Sunyer is one of the key players perpetuating this obesity myth, he chaired a key National Institutes of Health obesity panel and wrote much of the guidelines for determining obesity.

It probably wont much matter to someone as contumacious as you but most people who have an open mind on these matters would be interested to know that Mr. Xavier Pi-Sunyer also just happens to be hawking an anti-obesity drug Acomplia, made by Sanofi.

Take a wild guess who is funding many of these anti-obesity studies?

That's right, the weight loss industry...LOL.

I suppose you think diabetes is a myth, too. You know what GT, never mind. I mean just because the WHO, AMA, CDC, American Heart Association, American Diabetes Society, and every Surgeon General for the last decade all agree that obesity in general and childhood obesity in particular is the most critical health issue facing America today, since you say it isn't an issue, well you must be right. I'm sure you know more than every other expert in the field...

Let's see if I have your positions correct...

Evolution... hoax

Gobal Warming... hoax

Increasing obesity, diabetes, heart disease... hoax

Obama born in US... hoax

So basically, despite mountains of evidence and expert testimony to the contrary, you are going with that.

And you wonder why you aren't taken seriously. It has been proven time and time again that you will believe ANYTHING, regardless facts to the contrary.

I suppose you think diabetes is a myth, too. You know what GT, never mind. I mean just because the WHO, AMA, CDC, American Heart Association, American Diabetes Society, and every Surgeon General for the last decade all agree that obesity in general and childhood obesity in particular is the most critical health issue facing America today, since you say it isn't an issue, well you must be right. I'm sure you know more than every other expert in the field...

Let's see if I have your positions correct...

Evolution... hoax

Gobal Warming... hoax

Increasing obesity, diabetes, heart disease... hoax

Obama born in US... hoax

So basically, despite mountains of evidence and expert testimony to the contrary, you are going with that.

And you wonder why you aren't taken seriously. It has been proven time and time again that you will believe ANYTHING, regardless facts to the contrary.

I wonder if the gullible Mr. Alobar knows that Type 1 diabetes which affect millions of Americans has NOTHING to do with obesity?

LOL.

Somebody please inform Alobar that many overweight people actually live LONGER than what the government calls normal-weight and their skinny peers.

Hence, the First Ladys plan to slim down the waistlines of Americans will actually cause MORE deaths.

LOL.