The Official Site of the San Jose Sharks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

charlemagne

Calder Finalists Announced

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who SHOULD win the Calder?

• Logan Couture
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Michael Grabner
    • None of the Above
  2. 2. Who WILL win the Calder?

• Logan Couture
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Michael Grabner

Couture, Skinner, Grabner round out Calder finalists

Tuesday, 04.19.2011 / 12:01 PM / Trophy Tracker

By Brian Hunter - NHL.com Staff Writer

It isn't every season that a NHL rookie eclipses the 30-goal mark.

This year's list of nominees for the Calder Trophy, awarded annually "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League," features not one, not two but three such rookies.

Michael Grabner of the New York Islanders leads the pack with 34 goals, Logan Couture of the San Jose Sharks follows with 32 and Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes lit the lamp on 31 occasions.

It marks the first time since 2005-06, the season Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin entered the League, that there have been multiple rookies who scored at least 30 goals. That season, Marek Svatos and Petr Prucha were also on the list for a total of four.

The 2011 Calder nominees are an interesting group to consider.

Although he finished with the fewest goals of the three, Skinner led all rookies in scoring with 63 points. He made the Hurricanes roster as an 18-year-old after being the No. 7 pick in the 2010 Entry Draft and became the seventh-youngest player in NHL history to record a 30-goal season. His popularity in Carolina soared when he was named to the All-Star Game and played on Team Staal in front of the hometown fans at the RBC Center in late January.

Grabner probably wasn't at the top of anyone's list of candidates for the Calder when he was waived by Florida at the end of training camp after being acquired from Vancouver during the offseason. Picked up by the Islanders and given an opportunity to see the ice regularly, Grabner quickly became part of their top line and regularly displayed the speed that won him the Bridgestone NHL Fastest Skater competition during All-Star Weekend. Grabner led all rookies with 6 shorthanded goals and finished third with 52 points.

Couture got his feet wet with the Sharks by playing in 25 games in 2009-10 and parlayed that into a starring role this season, finishing second on the team to Patrick Marleau in goals and sixth with 56 points. He led all rookies with 10 power-play goals and 8 game-winning goals, the latter total placing him in a tie for seventh among all NHL players. Couture was a vital cog in the Sharks winning their fourth consecutive Pacific Division crown and capturing the second seed in the Western Conference. He scored in San Jose's opening game win in its first-round series with the Kings, which is knotted at one-all going into tonight's Game 3 at Los Angeles (Versus, TSN, 10 p.m. ET).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560231

I've already stated elsewhere. I really think none of the above on "should". My vote would have been Carlson if he was a choice. I have Couture as second on should and Skinner a close third.

I've already stated elsewhere. I really think none of the above on "should". My vote would have been Carlson if he was a choice. I have Couture as second on should and Skinner a close third.

thanks for the idea on none of the above.. added it as a poll choice, if you haven't voted already (actually, i think you can delete your vote and revote).

as e.j. hradek said, "anyone who knows what counts in hockey knows it's couture."

however, skinner's been hyped and the east coast media has actually been awake to watch him play. he'll win it.

however, skinner's been hyped and the east coast media has actually been awake to watch him play. he'll win it.

I bet you 100 bucks then right now, that Couture is going to win it. You are so thick, I think you know the least about the NHL on this site.

You probably don't have a hundred bucks, but I digress.

Oh Waaahh!! East Coast Bias!

thanks for the idea on none of the above.. added it as a poll choice, if you haven't voted already (actually, i think you can delete your vote and revote).

Thanks and I re-voted per my aforementioned choices.

I'll repeat the criteria I used in deciding. Who did these guys surpass in the lineup? Couture got by Pavelski, Carlson went by Schultz and Hannan (Green by default), Skinner went by J. Jokinen.

I bet you 100 bucks then right now, that Couture is going to win it. You are so thick, I think you know the least about the NHL on this site.

You probably don't have a hundred bucks, but I digress.

Oh Waaahh!! East Coast Bias!

You are, of course, taking yourself out of that running right?

Logan will clearly lose because JP thinks he will win, and the day I bet on JP regarding hockey matters it the day I get checked for brain damage.

You are, of course, taking yourself out of that running right?

Logan will clearly lose because JP thinks he will win, and the day I bet on JP regarding hockey matters it the day I get checked for brain damage.

Hah! So that's how the voting works for the NHL awards? See I never knew that...

Thanks and I re-voted per my aforementioned choices.

I'll repeat the criteria I used in deciding. Who did these guys surpass in the lineup? Couture got by Pavelski, Carlson went by Schultz and Hannan (Green by default), Skinner went by J. Jokinen.

I was in the Bronx this weekend and was talking hockey with some Rangers fans (which is like banging your head against a wall). They claimed that Michael Sauer may be the best rookie defenseman in the league. I countered with John Carlson, whom they never heard of. This is also ignoring the point that Sauer probably isn't even the best rookie defenseman on the Rangers.

Why is it that Carlson is being overlooked?

they also hold couture's prior experience against him and are enamored by skinner's age, even though it shouldn't be a criterion.

they also hold couture's prior experience against him and are enamored by skinner's age, even though it shouldn't be a criterion.

Age probably should not matter, prior experience should. I'm sorry, I just can't give it to Couture. He had a gread season, he meant a lot for the Sharks but .. I have not seen the final numbers however at some point during the season he was seeing the fewest minutes against top opposition out of the candidates while having the best supporting cast out of all of them as well. Those things do matter.

I feel that Skinner will win this one. The thing people care about most are numbers. This is one of the few trophies in the league that it really doesn't matter if you are on a winning team or a losing team.

Cooter should win it, but he won't. For when the team struggled early scoring, him and Clowe had a nice thing going to where they were a dynamic force. The one thing that hurt him was towards the end of the season when both Grabner and Skinner picked up their games. This is a points league unfortunately. (Why Carlson did not make it into the final 3 instead of Grabner)

Age probably should not matter, prior experience should. I'm sorry, I just can't give it to Couture. He had a gread season, he meant a lot for the Sharks but .. I have not seen the final numbers however at some point during the season he was seeing the fewest minutes against top opposition out of the candidates while having the best supporting cast out of all of them as well. Those things do matter.

That's also a mild argument for Skinner over Couture. When other teams matched their top guys to Couture, Couture disappeared. Skinner was still producing when getting top opposition when he was playing with Staal (keep in mind he was playing WITH Staal).

That's also a mild argument for Skinner over Couture. When other teams matched their top guys to Couture, Couture disappeared. Skinner was still producing when getting top opposition when he was playing with Staal (keep in mind he was playing WITH Staal).

Keep in mind the Carolina Hurricane's didn't make the playoffs, and the Sharks made the 2nd seed in the West. Keep in mind!

Keep in mind the Carolina Hurricane's didn't make the playoffs, and the Sharks made the 2nd seed in the West. Keep in mind!

Keep in mind, most of the voters that have published their picks went with Skinner over Couture.

Keep in mind, most of the voters that have published their picks went with Skinner over Couture.

dude keep your "hear-say" to yourself.

none of you village idiots know who the hell is gonna win the Calder Trophy. You are not experts, just nut-huggers.

m'kay thanks.

dude keep your "hear-say" to yourself.

none of you village idiots know who the hell is gonna win the Calder Trophy. You are not experts, just nut-huggers.

m'kay thanks.

shitface, what part of "voters who have published their picks" you don't understand?

For the retard that you are, it means members Professional Hockey Writers' Association who voted and have publicly stated what their vote was, ya pucking tape-worm excrement.

(peterboroughpete @ May 15 2009, 11:50 PM) postid=493761

I think Carlson will get a very long look at training camp and wouldn't be surprised to see him stick. He's better than Morrison and Jurcina, and has a lot of upside. He might turn into a steal at 27. He looks like he's got number one pairing potential and his game grew leaps and bounds this year. I don't know what Hunter is feeding these boys but he sure he is turning out some special pros out that program on a fairly regular clip. You inject Alzner and Carlson into that lineup at the beginning of the season with Poti, Green, Pothier and Erskine. Maybe keep one of the RFA's D men and leave Carlson in the A until Dec. But I think the kid will be in that lineup permanent by the All Star break.

Thanks for the heads up on Carlson. I like watching the 3 C's in the Southeast because they make it easy to do refs. There's a good chance I catch Carlson even if it is on a short call up.

As off base as I was with Couture, I saw Carlson and he's a good one...

As off base as I was with Couture, I saw Carlson and he's a good one...

He must be a good cycle breaker.

A quick straw poll:

Mirtle:

1. John Carlson, Washington<BR itxtNodeId="444">2. Jeff Skinner, Carolina<BR itxtNodeId="443">3. Michael Grabner, NY Islanders<BR itxtNodeId="442">4. Logan Couture, San Jose<BR itxtNodeId="441">5. Corey Crawford, Chicago

Craig Custance:

1. Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes.

2. Logan Couture, San Jose Sharks.

3. Corey Crawford, Chicago Blackhawks.

4. Sergei Bobrovsky, Philadelphia Flyers.

5. Michael Grabner, New York Islanders.

AJ Perez:

1. Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes:

2. Michael Grabner, New York Islanders:

3. Logan Couture, San Jose Sharks:

Greg Wyshynski:

Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes

Logan Couture, San Jose Sharks

Corey Crawford, Chicago Blackhawks

Michael Grabner, New York Islanders

Cam Fowler(notes), Anaheim Ducks

Michael Farber:

1. Michael Grabner, New York Islanders

2. Logan Couture, San Jose Sharks

3. Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes

4. John Carlson, Washington Capitals

5. P.K. Subban, Montreal Canadiens

Justin Bourne:

Jeff Skinner

And the power ranking from the US Today with the picks of several voters (including Wyshynski and Bourne from above):

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2011-04-11-playoff-predictions_N.htm

4 out of 12 for Logan.

5 out of 12 for Skinner

3 out of 12 fro Crawford

A quick straw poll:

Mirtle:

1. John Carlson, Washington<BR itxtNodeId="444">2. Jeff Skinner, Carolina<BR itxtNodeId="443">3. Michael Grabner, NY Islanders<BR itxtNodeId="442">4. Logan Couture, San Jose<BR itxtNodeId="441">5. Corey Crawford, Chicago

Craig Custance:

1. Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes.

2. Logan Couture, San Jose Sharks.

3. Corey Crawford, Chicago Blackhawks.

4. Sergei Bobrovsky, Philadelphia Flyers.

5. Michael Grabner, New York Islanders.

AJ Perez:

1. Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes:

2. Michael Grabner, New York Islanders:

3. Logan Couture, San Jose Sharks:

Greg Wyshynski:

Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes

Logan Couture, San Jose Sharks

Corey Crawford, Chicago Blackhawks

Michael Grabner, New York Islanders

Cam Fowler(notes), Anaheim Ducks

Michael Farber:

1. Michael Grabner, New York Islanders

2. Logan Couture, San Jose Sharks

3. Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes

4. John Carlson, Washington Capitals

5. P.K. Subban, Montreal Canadiens

Justin Bourne:

Jeff Skinner

And the power ranking from the US Today with the picks of several voters (including Wyshynski and Bourne from above):

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2011-04-11-playoff-predictions_N.htm

4 out of 12 for Logan.

5 out of 12 for Skinner

3 out of 12 fro Crawford

right, but jp's an expert on the nhl...

i don't understand how his experience should count against him. if the league says he's a rookie, he's a rookie. it's just like the age thing.

being shut down by top opposition i can understand.

being on a good team with other good players i cannot. if anything, the only reason grabner has his numbers is because his team blows and he's on the top line.

i don't understand how his experience should count against him. if the league says he's a rookie, he's a rookie. it's just like the age thing.

being shut down by top opposition i can understand.

being on a good team with other good players i cannot. if anything, the only reason grabner has his numbers is because his team blows and he's on the top line.

On Grabner, not all of it was top line. He started with Nielsen rather than Johnny Canuck. Nielsen and Grabner are burners (Marleau speed or possibly higher) and Nielsen is an excellent defensive center. Think about the headaches opponent defenses had facing two burners on the same line.