SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Fan Territory

Health care ain't broken

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 franklin_turtle

franklin_turtle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,673 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

K-V Pharmaceutical Co. said Friday that it would slash the list price of its
new premature-birth prevention drug Makena by 55% after a public outcry over the
treatment's original price tag of $1,500 per shot.
The St. Louis-based company also said it would offer supplemental rebates and
noted that a majority of patients would pay significantly less for each shot.
The response came after K-V became the latest U.S. health-care company to face
scrutiny over medical prices perceived to be too high.
K-V's Ther-Rx unit had initially charged $1,500 per injection of the drug,
given weekly to prevent preterm labor. This sparked a backlash among consumers
and lawmakers because versions of the active ingredient of Makena,
hydroxyprogesterone, have been available since 1956 and were sold for as little
as $10 to $15 per shot.
While the latest price tag—$690 per shot—-is still much higher than the
alternate versions, it is lower than the drug's initial price. One lawmaker
Friday called the action positive; however, K-V's moves didn't satisfy all of
its critics.

[...]
Two Democratic senators had sent a letter to the Federal Trade Commission last month urging the agency to launch an investigation into potentially anticompetitive behavior because of the increase in the cost of Makena compared with compounded products.

Makena was given seven years of market exclusivity when it was approved under an FDA program that grants incentives to companies developing treatments for rare ailments.
http://online.wsj.co...=googlenews_wsj

#2 GT3BB

GT3BB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,259 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:04 AM

Well let's take a look at the big picture.

The current cost of Makena..............$690.

The average cost of a premature birth...$51,000.

Decisions decisions decisions?

#3 franklin_turtle

franklin_turtle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,673 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:14 AM

View PostGT3BB, on 13 April 2011 - 08:04 AM, said:

The previous cost-$30.

Hmmmm...

#4 franklin_turtle

franklin_turtle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,673 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

Oh and come on GT you should be outraged.  This is a Gov't induced monopoly (well the FDA isn't enforcing the rule).  This is not the free market driving prices this is legislation and business creating artificially inflated prices (a 2000% increase at the new lower price!  What a bargain.)

#5 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,254 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

View PostGT3BB, on 13 April 2011 - 08:04 AM, said:

So lets see if I have this straight... a drug company that charged $1500 for what used to be a $50 shot gets pressure from consumers and suddenly is able to cut the price it charges IN HALF (and presumably still make a profit), with the justification being that a premature birth is way more costly, and GT cites this as evidence that there is nothing wrong with our current healthcare system?

I have news for you, GT, this is a prime example of EVERYTHING that is wrong with our healthcare system. Drug companies are given literal monopolies with their products and are able to charge whatever they want without competition. Hospitals hike up bills to outlandish sums because they know insurance companies are going to "negotiate" for far less, while the uninsured are left paying retail, to make up for all of the deadbeats that pay nothing at all.
In the past this would have pained me to do this, but I can say with all sincerity, the San Francisco Forty-Niners were absolutely no fluke. They earned every bit of that two seed and deserve to host a playoff game. Absolutely one of the best in the NFL this season and were so because of a balanced, ball control focused offense, awesome special teams, and truly one of the best defenses ever. Harbaugh a shoe in for Coach of the Year. Congratulations to the Forty Niners and their fans. It has been a long time coming. -SC

#6 GT3BB

GT3BB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,259 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostFranklin_Turtle, on 13 April 2011 - 08:14 AM, said:

The previous cost-$30.

Hmmmm...

It's cheaper all right...sometimes you get what you pay for, the old product(called 17P) could never prove thru clinical tests it did any good.

Two things:

The FDA gave KV the exclusive rights as compensation for the lengthy and costly approval process, and secondly, KV must prove thru clinical studies that Makena actually works.

Seems to me that's they way business and government should co exist.  Risk reward.

#7 franklin_turtle

franklin_turtle

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,673 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

View PostGT3BB, on 13 April 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

It's cheaper all right...sometimes you get what you pay for, the old product(called 17P) could never prove thru clinical tests it did any good.

Two things:

The FDA gave KV the exclusive rights as compensation for the lengthy and costly approval process, and secondly, KV must prove thru clinical studies that Makena actually works.

Seems to me that's they way business and government should co exist.  Risk reward.

http://www.nejm.org/...56/NEJMoa035140

#8 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,254 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

View PostFranklin_Turtle, on 13 April 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

Not to mention that my wife had an injection of progesterone about 12 1/2 years ago that stopped my daughter from being born at 26 weeks...
In the past this would have pained me to do this, but I can say with all sincerity, the San Francisco Forty-Niners were absolutely no fluke. They earned every bit of that two seed and deserve to host a playoff game. Absolutely one of the best in the NFL this season and were so because of a balanced, ball control focused offense, awesome special teams, and truly one of the best defenses ever. Harbaugh a shoe in for Coach of the Year. Congratulations to the Forty Niners and their fans. It has been a long time coming. -SC

#9 GT3BB

GT3BB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,259 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

View PostSpittin_Chicklets, on 13 April 2011 - 09:41 AM, said:

Not to mention that my wife had an injection of progesterone about 12 1/2 years ago that stopped my daughter from being born at 26 weeks...

Did she have a previous premature birth?

#10 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,254 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

The point is that the $50 drug works just fine according to the New England Journal of Medicine and personal experience.

Naturally you have ignored that this story you posted is a prime example of whats wrong with healthcare in America. My daughter split her lip on the playground. Needed 3 stitches and an ice pack. $2700. That is wrong on a lot of levels.

#11 BrodyDanger

BrodyDanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:48 AM

View PostSpittin_Chicklets, on 13 April 2011 - 10:49 AM, said:

The point is that the $50 drug works just fine according to the New England Journal of Medicine and personal experience.

Naturally you have ignored that this story you posted is a prime example of whats wrong with healthcare in America. My daughter split her lip on the playground. Needed 3 stitches and an ice pack. $2700. That is wrong on a lot of levels.
Little Brody's broken arm was $22,000. Good thing I had insurance. I have a vice and a rubber mallet, but not the anesthetics one would need for performing such an operation in their garage. Though... for $22,000... the kid might just have to suck it up.

#12 GT3BB

GT3BB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,259 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

View PostBrodyDanger, on 15 April 2011 - 12:48 AM, said:

Little Brody's broken arm was $22,000. Good thing I had insurance. I have a vice and a rubber mallet, but not the anesthetics one would need for performing such an operation in their garage. Though... for $22,000... the kid might just have to suck it up.

So you think under Obamacare those prices are going down?

LOL

Obamacare has not even started yet and most Healthcare providers have already raised their rates...

#13 BrodyDanger

BrodyDanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

View PostGT3BB, on 15 April 2011 - 10:36 AM, said:

LOL

Obamacare has not even started yet and most Healthcare providers have already raised their rates...
Who cares? A bill like that without insurance is already unpayable for a good portion of Americans. Your kid breaks an arm and you go f*^#ing bankrupt. U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

#14 Nola

Nola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,362 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

View PostGT3BB, on 15 April 2011 - 10:36 AM, said:

LOL

Source?

#15 Alobar

Alobar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,600 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

View PostNola, on 15 April 2011 - 12:34 PM, said:

Source?

Further... a source that says WHY they raised their rates.

Healthcare rates have been rising LONG before Obamacare was even conceived.

But, the concept of cause and effect has long elluded GT's .

#16 GT3BB

GT3BB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,259 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:06 PM

View PostNola, on 15 April 2011 - 12:34 PM, said:

Source?

Aetna Inc., some BlueCross BlueShield plans and other smaller carriers have asked for premium increases of between 1% and 9% to pay for extra benefits required under the law, according to filings with state regulators.

These and other insurers say Congress's landmark refashioning of U.S. health coverage, which passed in March after a brutal fight, is causing them to pass on more costs to consumers than Democrats predicted.

Wall Street Journal.

After that, we can then discuss the some 1,000 waivers Obama had to issue to those who could not meet the implementation dates.

#17 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,254 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

A 9% annual inflation rate of healthcare has been the average for about the last couple of decades. It peaked in 2001 @ 11.2%. Clearly the latest increase is a last detach money grab before the bill takes affect.

#18 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,254 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

View PostBrodyDanger, on 15 April 2011 - 12:24 PM, said:

Who cares? A bill like that without insurance is already unpayable for a good portion of Americans. Your kid breaks an arm and you go f*^#ing bankrupt. U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

In the last 5 years my wife has had a string of bad luck...

displaced compound fracture of her tib-fib... about $50,000, maybe more with the rehab and all.
hip replacement... $225,000 + rehab

We have good insurance, thank god. If we didn't, I'd probably have had to put her down... no way we could ever pay for that in our lifetime.

#19 GT3BB

GT3BB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,259 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

NHS budget squeeze to blame for longer waiting times, say doctorsLatest performance data reveal number of English patients waiting more than 18 weeks has risen by 26% in last year.

http://www.guardian....ng-times-longer

Socialized medicine...poor service, endless delays, over budget.

What a shock...LOL.

#20 GT3BB

GT3BB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,259 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

Friday March 30, 2012 12 pm EST the lives of every American and every future ones changed forever.

Image Map