SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

The coaching carousel takes another turn in Oakland

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#21 GT3BB

GT3BB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,111 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:45 AM

View Postfugazi, on 08 January 2011 - 01:52 PM, said:

He sure the hell didn't do that much with them backing up John Brodie. To me Spurrier was always a coach on the East Coast that the media was facinated with. He had some success at Florida but he's wired to be in some kids home selling Mom and Dad on the kids future in the NFL after he gets done using his ass to make Spurrier look like a genius.

(yeah, i forgot about that POS)

Don't be bashful, tell us what you really think of him.

#22 Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

View PostGT3BB, on 08 January 2011 - 12:18 PM, said:

Steve Spurrier didn't play 9 years for the 49/ers?
Play? No.

Hold a clipboard? Yes...
The following is a comprehensive list of all the arenas in the world that think leaning is a problem and have instituted rules against it.

HP Pavilion.

Welcome to the People's Republic of Northern California...

#23 GT3BB

GT3BB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,111 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

View PostWedge_Antilles, on 09 January 2011 - 08:43 PM, said:

Play? No.

Hold a clipboard? Yes...

John Brodie would have left many first string QB's holding a clipboard...

#24 D5Shark

D5Shark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,242 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP)—The final year in Nnamdi Asomugha’s(notes) record contract with the Oakland Raiders is no longer in force because the Pro Bowl cornerback didn’t reach certain incentives.

Raiders senior executive John Herrera confirmed Sunday that the contract was voided, making Asomugha a free agent. ESPN first reported the development.

Asomugha signed a $45.3 million, three-year contract in February 2009 that made him the highest paid defensive back in NFL history. He was paid $28.5 million in the first two years of the contract.

The Raiders had an option for 2011, which would be worth either $16.8 million or the amount of the quarterback franchise tag, whichever is greater.

Asomugha’s contract had a clause that said his contract would be voided if he didn’t participate in more plays in 2010 than the previous year or improve his interception, fumble recovery or sack totals.

Asomugha missed two games with a sprained ankle so did not reach the playing time incentive. He also had no interceptions, fumble recovery or sacks. He had one interception, no fumble recoveries and no sacks in 2009.

The Raiders are not allowed to use the franchise tag on Asomugha to keep him in Oakland. The Raiders will now have to decide whether to shell out big money to keep their star cornerback or use it to shore up other positions.

“We have to wait on the ramifications of the new CBA to be able to move on,” Herrera said.

Oakland could have many other key free agents this offseason depending on the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement. Pro Bowl defensive tackle Richard Seymour(notes), safety Michael Huff(notes), cornerback Stanford Routt(notes), tight end Zach Miller, left guard Robert Gallery(notes) and running back Michael Bush(notes) are among the Raiders’ other potential free agents.

Asomugha is one of the league’s best man-to-man cornerbacks, with most teams choosing not to throw to his side of the field. According to STATS LLC, Asomugha was targeted on just 33 pass attempts this season. He allowed 13 completions for 205 yards and no touchdowns, burnishing his reputation as a shutdown cornerback.

Asomugha was a first-round pick by the Raiders in 2003. After some struggles early in career as he moved from safety to cornerback, Asomugha has emerged as one of the league’s top cornerbacks the past five years. He was recently selected to his third straight Pro Bowl.

But despite the strong play from Asomugha, the Raiders have been unable to put a winning team on the field in his eight years in Oakland. The team lost at least 11 games for an NFL worst seven straight years in Asomugha’s first eight seasons before improving to 8-8 this year.

That improvement did not satisfy owner Al Davis, who announced last week that he would not pick up the option on coach Tom Cable’s contract. The Raiders are now searching for their sixth coach since 2003, with offensive coordinator Hue Jackson the leading contender.

I forgot he was making that much money. I guess Seymour is the new franchise player?

#25 Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

View PostGT3BB, on 10 January 2011 - 09:25 AM, said:

Regardless, he never really played in the NFL. He had no NFL credibility. Think of it like Obama before the election. Maybe he was good, maybe he wasn't. But he simply hadn't done enough at that level to warrant any credibility.

Harbaugh had over 26,000 yds passing, and 129 TD's in a 14 year NFL career. He was not spectacular but he was serviceable.

It gives him far more cred than Spurrier. Might make him a better coach too, who knows...
The following is a comprehensive list of all the arenas in the world that think leaning is a problem and have instituted rules against it.

HP Pavilion.

Welcome to the People's Republic of Northern California...

#26 Spittin_Chicklets

Spittin_Chicklets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

View PostGT3BB, on 10 January 2011 - 09:25 AM, said:

Ah yes... the old Ole' O-line... LOL. To bad Brodie was such a self-centered egomaniac... they actually had a pretty good team back then. We shall not speak of the post-Brodie decade, however... couldn't give tickets away!
In the past this would have pained me to do this, but I can say with all sincerity, the San Francisco Forty-Niners were absolutely no fluke. They earned every bit of that two seed and deserve to host a playoff game. Absolutely one of the best in the NFL this season and were so because of a balanced, ball control focused offense, awesome special teams, and truly one of the best defenses ever. Harbaugh a shoe in for Coach of the Year. Congratulations to the Forty Niners and their fans. It has been a long time coming. -SC

#27 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 53,380 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

View PostSpittin_Chicklets, on 10 January 2011 - 01:34 PM, said:

Ah yes... the old Ole' O-line... LOL. To bad Brodie was such a self-centered egomaniac... they actually had a pretty good team back then. We shall not speak of the post-Brodie decade, however... couldn't give tickets away!

Saw my first ever fight at a Niners game at Kezar. Brodie had more empty bottles than full ones thrown at him that day. I think they lost to the Lions.

#28 XxBMW85xX

XxBMW85xX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

Wait, I don't watch or pay attention to the Raiders or the Division they are in AT ALL, So can someone explain to me why this Asomugha guy is the highest paid DB of all time yet still only has 1 INT, 0 Sacks, and 0 FF's in his last two full seasons?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 D5Shark

D5Shark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,242 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

View PostXxBMW85xX, on 10 January 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

Wait, I don't watch or pay attention to the Raiders or the Division they are in AT ALL, So can someone explain to me why this Asomugha guy is the highest paid DB of all time yet still only has 1 INT, 0 Sacks, and 0 FF's in his last two full seasons?

Cause no one throws to him since he's usually all over the receiver.

In 2010

Asomugha allowed just 10 receptions on the 27 passes thrown his way.

#30 sharkfriend

sharkfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

View PostXxBMW85xX, on 10 January 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

Asomugha is one of the league’s best man-to-man cornerbacks, with most teams choosing not to throw to his side of the field. According to STATS LLC, Asomugha was targeted on just 33 pass attempts this season. He allowed 13 completions for 205 yards and no touchdowns, burnishing his reputation as a shutdown cornerback.

erp , diff info shark, I just copied off of the report on here.

#31 D5Shark

D5Shark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,242 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

View Postsharkfriend, on 10 January 2011 - 03:59 PM, said:

erp , diff info shark, I just copied off of the report on here.

Yea, mine is from wikipedia, probably the less accurate of the 2. Either way, I think less than 1 reception per game to a guy he's covering is pretty good.

#32 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 53,380 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

The talking heads media keep saying Darryl Revis is the best Conerback in the NFL but he isn't in Asomugha's class. Ndami is a classic Raiders corner ala Willie Brown and Lester Hayes.

#33 XxBMW85xX

XxBMW85xX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

Ahhhhh, I didn't read that far into the story... nevermind then, that is pretty impressive  :blink:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 D5Shark

D5Shark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,242 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

View PostXxBMW85xX, on 10 January 2011 - 05:57 PM, said:

Ahhhhh, I didn't read that far into the story... nevermind then, that is pretty impressive  :blink:

It's actually kind of sad to think about how bad the Raiders were to lose so many games with the other team's top receiver mostly shut down for the most part.  :blink:

#35 charlemagne

charlemagne

suck it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,907 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

and now asomugha's a free agent. yikes.

someone kill al.
Posted Image

#36 Alobar

Alobar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

View Postcharlemagne, on 10 January 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

someone kill al.

How do you kill that which is already dead?

#37 Sam_Adelphia

Sam_Adelphia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,479 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

View PostAlobar, on 11 January 2011 - 12:59 PM, said:

How do you kill that which is already dead?
Well I believe a stake thru the heart, silver or sunlight are the commonly accepted methods...
Definition of neoliberalism - The certainty that things that have worked just fine for decades, centuries or millennia must be changed just for the sake of change.

Definition of neoconservatism - The certainty that Jesus wrote the Constitution.

#38 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 53,380 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

Local kid gets his break

After looking at a couple of outside candidates for a new head football coach, Stanford stayed within its staff and picked offensive coordinator David Shaw to succeed Jim Harbaugh.

Shaw, 38, becomes the 34th head coach in Stanford history and the first alum to lead the program since Paul Wiggin (1980-83).

the past two years with Shaw as coordinator, the offense has twice broken the school record for points in a season.

A four-year letter winner as a Stanford receiver from 1991-94, the Union City native played under Dennis Green and Bill Walsh. He then spent nine years as an assistant coach in the NFL with the Eagles, Raiders and Ravens.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.co...L#ixzz1Ax0eUlVs

#39 charlemagne

charlemagne

suck it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,907 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

we have our coach...

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6031671
Posted Image

#40 Fugazi

Fugazi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 53,380 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

Hue Jackson was officially named as Raiders head coach Monday night. He will be formally introduced at a news conference today - two weeks after coach Tom Cable was let go.

Jackson, the team's offensive coordinator, was promoted after he helped the team rise from 31st in total offense to 10th in his first year on the job. He took over play-calling duties from Cable and the Raiders scored more than twice as many points as they did in 2009 (410 to 197).

"The fire in Hue will set a flame that will burn for a long time in the hearts and minds of the Raider football team and the Raider Nation," owner Al Davis said in a statement.

The Chronicle first reported that Jackson would be named head coach on Jan. 4.

Jackson, 45, has never been a head coach on any level. He interviewed for the Raiders job last offseason, and one possible reason for the delay in naming Jackson head coach this month was to dispel the notion that Cable was a lame duck in the last year of his contract..

Jackson brought an energy with him when he came from the Baltimore Ravens, where as quarterbacks coach he was largely credited with the development of Joe Flacco.

"I'm kind of an in-your-face guy," Jackson said earlier this season. "I coach with a lot of energy. The most important thing is, I'm looking for a result. I'm after a result and a result is (when) I can get our players - whether it's offense against defense or defense against offense - to compete at a high level, because that's what this game is."

The Raiders finished 8-8 this season, but despite leading Oakland to its best record in eight years, Cable was told that the two-year, $5 million option on his contract was not being picked up. Cable recently filed a grievance against the Raiders to recover $120,000 in fines that Davis withheld from Cable's paychecks this past season.

The players supported Cable and were largely upset with the move, but Jackson is also popular with the players.

"(Jackson) was with us during the 8-8 season, and that was the best season we've had in the last eight years," free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said Friday. "So he understands the players and knows what it takes to win. So I think bringing Hue along has to be the right choice if you're getting rid of Tom Cable."

Behind the legs of running backs Darren McFadden, Michael Bush and rookie receiver Jacoby Ford, Jackson's offense finished sixth in the league in scoring. The 410 points were the sixth-most scored in a season in franchise history.

But Jackson wasn't satisfied with the improvement.

"That's why I came to the Raiders was to improve, but we didn't improve fast enough," Jackson said late in the season. "We expect to be challenging for the playoffs, challenging for our division year in and year out and we're not getting that done, so to me, that's a disappointment. There's either first place or there's last place and there's no in-between."

Jackson also seems to be on the same page with quarterback Jason Campbell, who seemed to blame Cable for being benched twice even though Jackson said it was his decision in Week 2. Campbell finished strong, completing 59 percent of his passes on the year with 13 touchdowns, eight interceptions and a passer rating of 84.5.

"Most definitely we got a better feel for each other," Campbell said. "You don't just come in out of the middle of nowhere and all of a sudden light it up. It takes time to get to know each other, to know my strengths and what I can do well and what I need to work on. As the season went on, we definitely got to know each other and our strengths on offense."

Campbell now gets some rare continuity - he had four different offensive coordinators in four years at Auburn, then four more in six years in the NFL with Washington and Oakland. And it also looks like he will get an old friend, as league sources confirmed the Raiders are set to name Al Saunders as offensive coordinator.

Saunders was with Campbell in Washington as associated head coach in 2006 and 2007, and spent a year with Jackson as an offensive consultant with Baltimore in 2009. Saunders, 63, was with the Ravens in the same capacity this season, and has interviewed with Davis for the head coaching job twice over the years.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.co...L#ixzz1BMOVxw6Q