Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alobar

The coaching carousel takes another turn in Oakland

49 posts in this topic

So, the Raiders have their best season in 8 years, and they way they reward their head coach for a job well done... Al Davis declines to pick up his 2 year option.

The prevailing thought seems to be that Hue Jackson will step in a head coach, but he has options. Other teams are interested in him, and, well, with Davis' track record, why would he risk taking on the head job in Oakland?

Why would Al Davis make this move? Is it about money? Does he really think he can find someone else as qualified to step into this role? Why would any qualified coach opt to take the Raider job knowing Davis' itchy trigger finger when it comes to firing coaches?

The Raiders finally give me a season to be somewhat happy about, and then Davis pulls this crap.

Can someone please show me the silver lining here?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5989707

1 person likes this

So, the Raiders have their best season in 8 years, and they way they reward their head coach for a job well done... Al Davis declines to pick up his 2 year option.

The prevailing thought seems to be that Hue Jackson will step in a head coach, but he has options. Other teams are interested in him, and, well, with Davis' track record, why would he risk taking on the head job in Oakland?

Why would Al Davis make this move? Is it about money? Does he really think he can find someone else as qualified to step into this role? Why would any qualified coach opt to take the Raider job knowing Davis' itchy trigger finger when it comes to firing coaches?

The Raiders finally give me a season to be somewhat happy about, and then Davis pulls this crap.

Can someone please show me the silver lining here?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5989707

I have been reading a few articles on this issue over the last few days. Most agreed that Cable deserves the job because the players were obviously playing for Cable at this point. However, some of the reasons were that Jackson might be tempted to leave to go elsewhere if this job did not become available. Another camp says that Cable has taken the Raiders as far as he can take them. Then there's just the possibility that Davis is being Davis.

I would have liked to have seen Cable back as a Line Coach since the lines for the Raiders were the keys to their success this season, but I think the demotion wouldn't sit well with anybody.

Anyways, Cable really earned my respect this season with the way he handled the whole situation in turning the team around while dealing with Davis.

However, some of the reasons were that Jackson might be tempted to leave to go elsewhere if this job did not become available.

That is probably pretty likely.

But, if Jackson ends up taking a head coach job elsewhere, then what are they left with? And, if he gets on offer elsewhere, why would he take the Raider job with Davis' track record?

49ers have already received permission to talk to Jackson, although I believe Harbaugh will end up there. But, with horse-face Elway at the Orange Bowl last night, maybe Denver has the inside track on Harbaugh.

So, if Jackson ends up as head coach in Oakland, as opposed to leaving altogether, maybe that would be the silver lining. I'm just not convinced that that is a slam dunk.

This whole deal stinks to high heaven. Cable had the locker room and Shane lechler was on Tv lastnight saying as such. He was steamed about the change and he wasn't pulling any punches about what he thought of Al Davis. This is gonna get ugly with the players I think.

This whole deal stinks to high heaven. Cable had the locker room and Shane lechler was on Tv lastnight saying as such. He was steamed about the change and he wasn't pulling any punches about what he thought of Al Davis. This is gonna get ugly with the players I think.

Yea, I read that Lechler is pretty sure that Michael Bush is gone for sure now.

If only Doug Wilson was Al Davis, and Yawney was Cable.

Actually, that was a terrible analogy, I'll just be more direct.

FIRE YAWNEY

From what I've been hearing, there was a large amount of animosity between Davis and Cable, and by the end, they weren't even speaking to each other. So Davis fired him.

It had ZERO to do with football or contracts or 'having the locker room'. It was purely personal...

From what I've been hearing, there was a large amount of animosity between Davis and Cable, and by the end, they weren't even speaking to each other. So Davis fired him.

It had ZERO to do with football or contracts or 'having the locker room'. It was purely personal...

That doesn't exactly do much to expand the short list for potential coaches since that large amount of animosity exists between Davis and just about every one of the remaining 6.7 Billion people on Earth.

I've heard that too... but I have also heard that such reports have been overblown.

Regardless, making business decisions based on personal feelings is no way to run a business... no wonder the Raiders have sucked for so long.

49ers have already received permission to talk to Jackson, although I believe Harbaugh will end up there.

It's official... Harbaugh to the 49ers.

Careful what you ask for...you just might get it.

College coaches rarely succeed in NFL

Bobby Petrino's departure from Atlanta to Arkansas isn't exactly unexpected. Petrino wouldn't have gone to the Falcons if he'd known his quarterback would be suspended and then go to jail for his dogfighting activities.

But Michael Vick's problems notwithstanding, Petrino's quick exit is another example that coaching in the colleges and coaching in the NFL are very different things.

Make Jimmy Johnson the exception and then look at the rest of the high-profile coaches who have failed to come close to their college success in the NFL: Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, Rich Brooks and Mike Riley to name six. All are back in college again, although Saban, Davis and Spurrier haven't won as much as they did in the past.

Another example of a college coach unsuited for the NFL: Barry Switzer, who won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys after the 1995 season, but did it with talent acquired by Johnson, and earned the nickname "Bozo the Coach" for some questionable strategic decisions. Switzer is now teaming with Johnson in a TV studio.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-12-13-4190722396_x.htm

Careful what I ask for?

If Harbaugh completely flops in SF and they never win a game under him... that would be fine by me.

Careful what I ask for?

If Harbaugh completely flops in SF and they never win a game under him... that would be fine by me.

I take it you're a Raider fan?

I take it you're a Raider fan?

Pretty sure the first post in this thread would indicate such...

WINNAR

Al actually can't stand it when his team actually likes the head coach. Al feels jilted and becomes bitter and fires the coach. Its happened 1/2 a dozen times.

College coaches rarely succeed in NFL

Bobby Petrino's departure from Atlanta to Arkansas isn't exactly unexpected. Petrino wouldn't have gone to the Falcons if he'd known his quarterback would be suspended and then go to jail for his dogfighting activities.

But Michael Vick's problems notwithstanding, Petrino's quick exit is another example that coaching in the colleges and coaching in the NFL are very different things.

Make Jimmy Johnson the exception and then look at the rest of the high-profile coaches who have failed to come close to their college success in the NFL: Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, Rich Brooks and Mike Riley to name six. All are back in college again, although Saban, Davis and Spurrier haven't won as much as they did in the past.

Another example of a college coach unsuited for the NFL: Barry Switzer, who won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys after the 1995 season, but did it with talent acquired by Johnson, and earned the nickname "Bozo the Coach" for some questionable strategic decisions. Switzer is now teaming with Johnson in a TV studio.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-12-13-4190722396_x.htm

The only flaw with the writers logic is that all those college coaches never played in the NFL. Harbaugh played 15 years in the NFL and was a first round draft pick by the Chicago Bears. He was the QB coach for Jon Grudens Oakland Raiders and was on Callahans staff when the Raiders were in the 2002 Super Bowl. It's not like he's never been there before, it was a good signing by the Niners.

The only flaw with the writers logic is that all those college coaches never played in the NFL. Harbaugh played 15 years in the NFL and was a first round draft pick by the Chicago Bears. He was the QB coach for Jon Grudens Oakland Raiders and was on Callahans staff when the Raiders were in the 2002 Super Bowl. It's not like he's never been there before, it was a good signing by the Niners.

Steve Spurrier didn't play 9 years for the 49/ers?

Steve Spurrier didn't play 9 years for the 49/ers?

He sure the hell didn't do that much with them backing up John Brodie. To me Spurrier was always a coach on the East Coast that the media was facinated with. He had some success at Florida but he's wired to be in some kids home selling Mom and Dad on the kids future in the NFL after he gets done using his ass to make Spurrier look like a genius.

(yeah, i forgot about that POS)

He sure the hell didn't do that much with them backing up John Brodie. To me Spurrier was always a coach on the East Coast that the media was facinated with. He had some success at Florida but he's wired to be in some kids home selling Mom and Dad on the kids future in the NFL after he gets done using his ass to make Spurrier look like a genius.

(yeah, i forgot about that POS)

Don't be bashful, tell us what you really think of him.

Play? No.

Hold a clipboard? Yes...

John Brodie would have left many first string QB's holding a clipboard...

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP)—The final year in Nnamdi Asomugha’s(notes) record contract with the Oakland Raiders is no longer in force because the Pro Bowl cornerback didn’t reach certain incentives.

Raiders senior executive John Herrera confirmed Sunday that the contract was voided, making Asomugha a free agent. ESPN first reported the development.

Asomugha signed a $45.3 million, three-year contract in February 2009 that made him the highest paid defensive back in NFL history. He was paid $28.5 million in the first two years of the contract.

The Raiders had an option for 2011, which would be worth either $16.8 million or the amount of the quarterback franchise tag, whichever is greater.

Asomugha’s contract had a clause that said his contract would be voided if he didn’t participate in more plays in 2010 than the previous year or improve his interception, fumble recovery or sack totals.

Asomugha missed two games with a sprained ankle so did not reach the playing time incentive. He also had no interceptions, fumble recovery or sacks. He had one interception, no fumble recoveries and no sacks in 2009.

The Raiders are not allowed to use the franchise tag on Asomugha to keep him in Oakland. The Raiders will now have to decide whether to shell out big money to keep their star cornerback or use it to shore up other positions.

“We have to wait on the ramifications of the new CBA to be able to move on,” Herrera said.

Oakland could have many other key free agents this offseason depending on the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement. Pro Bowl defensive tackle Richard Seymour(notes), safety Michael Huff(notes), cornerback Stanford Routt(notes), tight end Zach Miller, left guard Robert Gallery(notes) and running back Michael Bush(notes) are among the Raiders’ other potential free agents.

Asomugha is one of the league’s best man-to-man cornerbacks, with most teams choosing not to throw to his side of the field. According to STATS LLC, Asomugha was targeted on just 33 pass attempts this season. He allowed 13 completions for 205 yards and no touchdowns, burnishing his reputation as a shutdown cornerback.

Asomugha was a first-round pick by the Raiders in 2003. After some struggles early in career as he moved from safety to cornerback, Asomugha has emerged as one of the league’s top cornerbacks the past five years. He was recently selected to his third straight Pro Bowl.

But despite the strong play from Asomugha, the Raiders have been unable to put a winning team on the field in his eight years in Oakland. The team lost at least 11 games for an NFL worst seven straight years in Asomugha’s first eight seasons before improving to 8-8 this year.

That improvement did not satisfy owner Al Davis, who announced last week that he would not pick up the option on coach Tom Cable’s contract. The Raiders are now searching for their sixth coach since 2003, with offensive coordinator Hue Jackson the leading contender.

I forgot he was making that much money. I guess Seymour is the new franchise player?

John Brodie would have left many first string QB's holding a clipboard...

Regardless, he never really played in the NFL. He had no NFL credibility. Think of it like Obama before the election. Maybe he was good, maybe he wasn't. But he simply hadn't done enough at that level to warrant any credibility.

Harbaugh had over 26,000 yds passing, and 129 TD's in a 14 year NFL career. He was not spectacular but he was serviceable.

It gives him far more cred than Spurrier. Might make him a better coach too, who knows...