SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Sweaters- whassup with the whites?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 petshark

petshark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

I thought there was some sort of standard for when the teams wear their whites, or the mostly white jerseys, that is: whites for visitors.  But I have seen several recent games, mostly Eastern Conf games- I think- in which the home team wears white and the visitor wears the darker colored jerseys.  This confuses me, especially when the audience cheers for the "wrong" team.

????
Attack life, it’s going to kill you anyway. — Steven Coallier
The Onion Horoscopes: October 11, 2011, Libra: "It turns out there are actually plenty of problems you can't solve with a smile, a sincere heartfelt talk, or a large, heavy piece of lumber."
October 18, 2011, Libra: "For the third year in a row, no one responds to your well-meaning letters concerning what you consider to be fairly large errors in just about everything."
Inside Hockey

#2 XxBMW85xX

XxBMW85xX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:32 PM

The home team gets to choose which jersey they wear, I like the look of the Sharks home jersey, but would much rather see them wear white at home

One of the things I love about the Manitoba Moose/AHL is that they wear their white jerseys at home
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 D5Shark

D5Shark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

Is there a reason why a lot of people prefer the white jersey's at home? Is it just out of tradition? Do people think that it looks cleaner? I think wearing the non-white jersey's at home makes sense because the base color is an actual team color. I don't really have a huge preference either way though.

#4 Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

View PostD5Shark, on 28 December 2010 - 06:44 PM, said:

Is there a reason why a lot of people prefer the white jersey's at home? Is it just out of tradition? Do people think that it looks cleaner? I think wearing the non-white jersey's at home makes sense because the base color is an actual team color. I don't really have a huge preference either way though.
3 reasons.

1. It's the way it's been done for decades. Bettman changed a half century of tradition for no apparent reason.

2. When a team wears their dark jerseys at home, fans always see the exact same color pattern. For instance, Sharks fans always see the Sharks in teal, and the opponent in white. There is no variety. Every game looks the same.

Wearing white at home gives much more variety. Red Wings wear red, Maple Leafs wear blue, Flyers wear orange etc etc...

3. In nearly every team, the white uniform is the MUCH better uni. The two exceptions to this are the Blackhawks and Rangers, but for every other team, whites are better.
The following is a comprehensive list of all the arenas in the world that think leaning is a problem and have instituted rules against it.

HP Pavilion.

Welcome to the People's Republic of Northern California...

#5 espo35

espo35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:48 AM

[quote name='Wedge_Antilles' timestamp='1293677838' post='593570']
3 reasons.

1. It's the way it's been done for decades. Bettman changed a half century of tradition for no apparent reason.

As usual, Sam's answer makes no sense.

What (charitably) he MEANT to say is: light jerseys were always worn by the home team until 2003-4 when Bettman changed it.

Sam should know better, as for YEARS he worked as a volunteer laundryman for the Sharks.

He was released unceremoniously, however, when a large number of Rathje jocks went missing.....

#6 Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:59 AM

View Postespo35, on 31 December 2010 - 12:48 AM, said:

What (charitably) he MEANT to say is: light jerseys were always worn by the home team until 2003-4 when Bettman changed it.

missing.....
Your pain meds are getting in the way again numbnuts.

You said exactly the same thing I did...
The following is a comprehensive list of all the arenas in the world that think leaning is a problem and have instituted rules against it.

HP Pavilion.

#7 Tharr43

Tharr43

mayor of simpleton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:03 AM

ditch the black armor and I'm happy. :angry:
Posted Image

#8 lotsashots

lotsashots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:34 AM

View PostTharr43, on 31 December 2010 - 10:03 AM, said:

ditch the black armor and I'm happy. :angry:
+1
Do not like the black jerseys. They should be sh*t canned.

#9 XxBMW85xX

XxBMW85xX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:57 PM

The Black Armor thirds are one of only 3-4 in the league that I actually like, Piitsburgh has the best with the powder blue, and I know it isn't a third, but Vancouver's 40th Anniversary jersey is amazing, although they cheated by breaking the rule and taking the name off the back, which looks great IMO
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

Black Armor sucks big fat sweaty, salty, moldy, hairy donkey balls with cheese.

That is all...

HP Pavilion.

#11 sharkfriend

sharkfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

View PostWedge_Antilles, on 31 December 2010 - 06:31 PM, said:

Black Armor sucks big fat sweaty, salty, moldy, hairy donkey balls with cheese.

That is all...

hmmmm, fetish?

#12 espo35

espo35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

View PostWedge_Antilles, on 31 December 2010 - 06:59 AM, said:

Your pain meds are getting in the way again numbnuts.

You said exactly the same thing I did...

But I was concise.

You, as usual, were a blithering dolt.

Good to "see" you, Sam.

#13 it_hurts

it_hurts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

View Postespo35, on 31 December 2010 - 12:48 AM, said:

View PostWedge_Antilles, on 29 December 2010 - 06:57 PM, said:

3 reasons.

Sam should know better, as for YEARS he worked as a volunteer laundryman for the Sharks.

He was released unceremoniously, however, when a large number of Rathje jocks went missing.....
Actually what he meant to say was "Bettman changed a" third "of a century of tradition..." though why he feels Bettman is such a dark force in his life he needs to be attacked - who knows.  Evidently, until 1970 home team wore dark.  Sam wasn't doing the Sharks laundry back then but I understand he was a boot-shine boy for the Seals.  Guess that explains his attachment to white.  

Anyway, fashions change.  They changed in 1970 from home dark to home white for exactly the reason Sam and people cite - pattern was same old same old, game after game and people were tired of it.  The pendulum eventually swung the other way.  Someday it will be back.  It's been the same in the NFL.

#14 Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

Actually, the question I would have is why most North American leagues, including the NHL, require one team to wear dark and one team to wear white at all. It's an outdated notion that has no place in modern society.

WAY back in the day, there was no dark/white dichotomy. Teams wore their colors. The Red Wings wore red, and the Maple Leafs wore blue (or green, if you wanna go back really far). When you see the old jersey histories you rarely see more than one jersey per team.

It was newsreels and television that sparked the need for two jerseys. Specifically, black and white TV. On a black and white broadcast, it was impossible to distinguish between a blue jersey and a red jersey, so the dark/white system was developed.

For some reason, this practice was kept even after the advent of color television, when it was clearly no longer needed.

What the NHL needs to do is abolish the requirement for the dark/white system unless the two teams are too similar (think Red Wings/Hurricanes), then the home team would wear whites, thereby keeping the road team from carrying two unis.

The added color would make the game tons better. The Knicks have started a Xmas day tradition of wearing green against a red opponent and the color clash is outstanding. Imagine the Flyers' Orange going up against the Kings' Purple. Or Red Wings red against Sharks teal.

Very cool...

HP Pavilion.

#15 petshark

petshark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

TV viewer logic today would dictate that the teams stick to one system (color at home or whites at home) since it is hard to tell where teams are playing at a glance, if you can't rely on the uniforms.  You can wait to see center ice, or for the audience to let you know, but that can take a while. Since everything in today's media is aimed at what we see in a glance, I would be surprised if what ticket buyers see is the main concern.  Then again, the lack of consistency indicates it is not really being competently managed.
The Onion Horoscopes: October 11, 2011, Libra: "It turns out there are actually plenty of problems you can't solve with a smile, a sincere heartfelt talk, or a large, heavy piece of lumber."
October 18, 2011, Libra: "For the third year in a row, no one responds to your well-meaning letters concerning what you consider to be fairly large errors in just about everything."
Inside Hockey

#16 charlemagne

charlemagne

suck it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,907 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

View PostWedge_Antilles, on 29 December 2010 - 06:57 PM, said:

2. When a team wears their dark jerseys at home, fans always see the exact same color pattern. For instance, Sharks fans always see the Sharks in teal, and the opponent in white. There is no variety. Every game looks the same.

Wearing white at home gives much more variety. Red Wings wear red, Maple Leafs wear blue, Flyers wear orange etc etc...
but then wouldn't every away game look the same for sharks viewers with the sharks in teal and the opponent in white? you only count the ones viewing in person.

6 of one, half dozen of the other, but i like the idea of white at home just because i like the sharks whites better and i'd rather see those more often if i were living in cali still.
Posted Image

#17 petshark

petshark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

Wouldn't players prefer a light vs. dark system though? Isn't it easier to tell where players are in your peripheral vision?
Inside Hockey

#18 Sam_Adelphia

Sam_Adelphia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,479 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

View Postpetshark, on 19 January 2011 - 07:46 PM, said:

Wouldn't players prefer a light vs. dark system though? Isn't it easier to tell where players are in your peripheral vision?
Blue vs red seemed to work just fine for half a century in dimly lit barns in Northern Ontario. And it works just fine in many peewee leagues that only have one color uniform.
Definition of neoliberalism - The certainty that things that have worked just fine for decades, centuries or millennia must be changed just for the sake of change.

Definition of neoconservatism - The certainty that Jesus wrote the Constitution.

#19 ZeroWolf

ZeroWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

The advantage of wearing white at home is there is a much greater difference in appearance of the visiting team from one game to the next.  When you wear the colored jersey at home, the visiting team is always in white.  When you wear your white jersey at home, you see the visitor in different colors each game.

#20 Nice_Ice

Nice_Ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

I sure miss the teal and gray of their original home look.  

Nice things always seem to disappear.  

I do not like that black monstrosity that could be the Kings, Stars, or other stupid team that does not want to be seen well on television.