SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Johnson Wins Five Consecutive Titles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 lotsashots

lotsashots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

CUP: Johnson Bites Big Apple - Again

Published November 23, 2010

| Speedtv

*   Print
    *   Email
    *   Comments (1)
    *   Text Size  

Jimmie Johnson has been on a dizzying schedule since winning his fifth straight Sprint Cup championship Sunday afternoon in Homestead, FL.

New York City has been Johnson’s temporary home Monday and Tuesday as he has appeared on a wide range of local and national television and radio shows, a run that included racing pedal cycles against late-night host Jimmy Fallon.

There were no injuries.

There is much more to come, of course. After a brief break for Thanksgiving, Johnson will report to Las Vegas Monday for the beginning of Champion’s Week in the desert and the myriad of festivities leading up to the awards banquet.

Johnson has made this circuit four times now and knows the drill. It’s a lot of talking, a lot of smiling, a lot of repetitive questions to answer and a bunch of hands to shake.

Other than a couple of naps, Johnson’s time has not been his own since the checkered flag fell Sunday in Homestead.

“It’s been a busy two days and a lot of fun talking about what we’ve done,” Johnson said Tuesday afternoon. “It’s everything. It’s been an amazing experience for myself and the team.”

Of the thousands of photographs that have focused on Johnson since Sunday’s race, the best might be one showing the champion standing in the center of the five trophies, in an arc at his feet. It’s the kind of photo no Cup driver had ever posed for.

“I haven’t seen the finished product, but when I walked up to the set with the five trophies, it was staggering to see that in front of me and my name on those trophies,” he said.

Will there be more hardware at his feet next season? And the next?

“I feel satisfied, but I’ve never set marks for myself,” Johnson said. “What’s drawn me to racing is this feeling inside of me and the passion I have for this sport and the feeling I have while competing and what I do on a car or a bike or whatever it’s been. I guess someday when that goes away I’ll stop.”

But at least seven titles, which would tie Johnson with Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt Sr., is a clear goal. And maybe beyond.

“I would love to get to 10 straight,” he said. “I don’t know how ridiculous that sounds. The realistic side of it is there’s no telling how long it’s going to last. I think we’re all shocked that it’s gone on this far.

“I do feel in my heart that we’ll have a shot next year. I don’t know what the challenges will be and what the competition will look like. If I can string together seven to tie those two greats, I’d be extremely honored. If I was able to surpass them, it would be out of this world.”

Mike Hembree is NASCAR Editor for SPEED.com and has been covering motorsports for 28 years. He has written several books on NASCAR, including "NASCAR: The Definitive History of America's Sport" and "Then Tony Said To Junior: The Best NASCAR Stories Ever Told". He is a six-time winner of the National Motorsports Press Association Writer of the Year Award

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz168xQXM3l

All hail King Jimmie the Fifth: Champion's Week heads to Las Vegas

By JEFF WOLF
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
More Info

* Motor Sports
    * Champion's Week

Enter to win VIP passes to Chasers for Charity

Jimmie Johnson gives a thumbs up Sunday after winning his fifth consecutive NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship in Homestead, Fla.
LYNNE SLADKY/THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Now that the 2010 NASCAR Sprint Cup season is over, planners for the Dec. 1-3 Champion's Week in Las Vegas can create name tags for the drivers who will be on the stage for the banquet at Wynn.

And the Sprint Cup trophy will have the name of Jimmie Johnson engraved on it for the fifth straight year.

Unfortunately, the general public isn't invited to the big gala, but it's the most boring part of the three-day celebration anyway.

For the second year of the festival in Las Vegas, there are three big events that are free to the public. Here's a list of fun-filled events you can attend and one you can't:

WEDNESDAY, DEC. 1

Chasers for Charity Fanfest at Las Vegas Motor Speedway is free and will be highlighted by a Family Feud-like competition between the year's top-12 Cup drivers, who will be split into two teams. The battle will be hosted by Kevin Burke -- who stars in the one-man show "Defending the Caveman" at Excalibur -- from 2-3:30 pm.

Gates open at 10 a.m. in the Neon Garage with live music from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and other forms of entertainment.

A special go-kart race adjacent to the Neon Garage will include Carrot Top, outfielder Aaron Rowand of the World Champion San Francisco Giants and Sprint Cup rookie of the year Kevin Conway.

A local race fan can win a ride in the go-kart race by going to http://www.lvrj.com/...harity-rj.html. Deadline to enter is Thanksgiving Day.

The Richard Petty Driving Experience will offer stock car rides with a percentage of the proceeds going to charity. The speedway will offer tours of the facility, and interactive displays will be available throughout the Neon Garage.

THURSDAY, DEC. 2

The NASCAR/NMPA Myers Brothers Awards Luncheon begins at 11 a.m. in the Bellagio ballroom. The annual industry/media gathering includes the presentation of awards to the champion crew chief and team sponsor, Raybestos rookie of the year and most popular driver. For the first time, fans will have an opportunity to attend this event through various online contests and auctions.

Victory Lap: The day's highlight begins at 3:30 p.m. with the Victory Lap that includes the top 12 drivers motoring -- loudly -- along the Strip in their teams' respective race cars. Victory Lap will feature an authentic pit stop along the route and two burn-out sections for drivers. Victory Lap will start in front of Planet Hollywood and end at Hard Rock Hotel.

NASCAR After The Lap: Starting at 4:30 p.m., this is a free event for fans in The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel. It features an unfiltered question-and-answer session with drivers and an interactive Coca-Cola Fan Zone experience. Select NASCAR fans will be awarded NASCAR-themed prizes, including a 2011 Ford Taurus SHO. The Coca-Cola Fan Zone opens at noon, with doors to NASCAR After The Lap opening at 3 p.m. General admission seats are free, on a first-come, first-served basis. Fans can register for tickets at NascarAfterTheLap.com.

FRIDAY, DEC. 3

2010 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Awards Ceremony: The big show will start at 6 p.m., crowning Johnson as the NASCAR Sprint Cup driving champion and Hendrick Motorsports as the winning team owner. The top 10 drivers will be honored. Entertainment is by comedian Frank Caliendo, Rascal Flatts and Cirque du Soleil's "Viva Elvis." The event will be broadcast live on Speed (Cox 329).

I will never watch NASCAR again.
Jimmie Johnson winning five in a row is unbelievable. NASCAR has had to rig this for him to win five in a row.
Although after last year I said to myself I'll never watch NASCAR again, this year I mean it and will stick to my guns on this, this time.I hope.
I believe it is Jimmie's clean-cut image that attracts the NASCAR officials.
With some well-timed cautions through the years always seems to help him out and gain much needed points during times when it looked like he was going to slip up.
Don't get me wrong I like Jimmie but it just seems more than a coincidence.
I used to be a big fan of NASCAR. But these last few years have really made me think that this sport is starting to rival WWE.
OK my rant is over.

FYI
I have always been more of a Hockey fan than NASCAR fan.

#2 XxBMW85xX

XxBMW85xX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:20 PM

I think the whole chase format is stupid. Wins are only worth 10 points? You could win 7-8 races in a year and all that work is for nothing if you crash early in the final 10 races.

The first 26 (Theres 36 races in a season right?) need to have more meaning for me to get back into the sport
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 lotsashots

lotsashots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

The "Chase" format was adopted because at the end of the season one driver would be so far ahead in points that they would win the Championship with 2 or 3 races to go and that would drop attendance and TV ratings for those "meaningless" races.
I like the Chase format better but I don't like seeing the same driver win 5 years in a row. I really don't think that is good for the sport.
You gotta give Jimmie Johnson and his team full credit. But I don't have to keep watching him win Championships, or buy his merchandise or any NASCAR merchandise, or go to any races.

#4 XxBMW85xX

XxBMW85xX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:15 PM

The Chase format is an improvement, but I still don't think it is good enough

Personally I don't know how they could make it better, but hopefully the people that make those decisions think of something
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

Here's the problem with The Chase. It's essentially a playoff, right? Then why are there more than 12 cars in the race?

In what other sport are non playoff teams allowed to participate in, and possibly knock out, a contender.

It's sheer stupidity.

Here's how you fix it. The Chase starts with 12 cars. Every time a car is mathematically eliminated, he's cut from the field.

Under these rules the last race would ave been a 4 car race to the winner's circle. No lapped traffic, no pit row controversies.

Just racing...
The following is a comprehensive list of all the arenas in the world that think leaning is a problem and have instituted rules against it.

HP Pavilion.

Welcome to the People's Republic of Northern California...

#6 lotsashots

lotsashots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

View PostWedge_Antilles, on 06 December 2010 - 10:24 AM, said:

Here's the problem with The Chase. It's essentially a playoff, right? Then why are there more than 12 cars in the race?

In what other sport are non playoff teams allowed to participate in, and possibly knock out, a contender.

It's sheer stupidity.

Here's how you fix it. The Chase starts with 12 cars. Every time a car is mathematically eliminated, he's cut from the field.

Under these rules the last race would ave been a 4 car race to the winner's circle. No lapped traffic, no pit row controversies.

Just racing...
I bet all the sponsors of the cars eliminated would in no way agree to that.
This sport is sponsor driven. Bottom line.

#7 Snowkiller

Snowkiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:40 AM

i know how to fix it, jsut do what every other sport does, make a salary cap rules.  :P

#8 lotsashots

lotsashots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:51 AM

View PostSnowkiller, on 07 December 2010 - 07:40 AM, said:

i know how to fix it, jsut do what every other sport does, make a salary cap rules.  :P
Seriously, that is what the COT or Car Of Tomorrow purpose was. It was suppose to make it a more level "playing field" for all teams. It was meant to keep the operating costs down for all teams. I don't believe that has happened.
As for a "salary cap" for NASCAR, I am not sure how you could make it work. Limit the amount of $ spent on the car? Limit the amount of money spent on each team? they already limit testing.
The problem with limiting testing is the teams with money just go to non-NASCAR tracks to do their testing. Advantage teams with money. With auto racing I don't think there is a solution, unless they went to an IROC style racing where all drivers are given "identical" cars.

#9 sharkfriend

sharkfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

View PostWedge_Antilles, on 06 December 2010 - 10:24 AM, said:

It's sheer stupidity.

Just racing...

That's also not racing. A race is around a field of cars, and how you are able to  deal with it

#10 Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:39 AM

View Postlotsashots, on 06 December 2010 - 01:45 PM, said:

I bet all the sponsors of the cars eliminated would in no way agree to that.
This sport is sponsor driven. Bottom line.
Oh that's an easy fix. Whenever money is the issue, the answer is easy.

How about this. All eliminated sponsors get free ad time during the race.

Exposure given, problem solved.

And of course there's the idea that the sponsor would be much more interested in a competitive race car and race team so that their car gets that much more exposure.

Win/win. Under these rules a seriously over-hyped and over-valued driver like Dale Jr would be out on his ass like he should be.

Plus imagine how much more in-depth the coverage would be for the final race if the network only had 4 cars to concentrate on. How about a quad view screen with all 4 car cams?

Awesome...
The following is a comprehensive list of all the arenas in the world that think leaning is a problem and have instituted rules against it.

HP Pavilion.

#11 XxBMW85xX

XxBMW85xX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

View PostWedge_Antilles, on 08 December 2010 - 05:39 AM, said:

Oh that's an easy fix. Whenever money is the issue, the answer is easy.

How about this. All eliminated sponsors get free ad time during the race.

Exposure given, problem solved.

And of course there's the idea that the sponsor would be much more interested in a competitive race car and race team so that their car gets that much more exposure.

Win/win. Under these rules a seriously over-hyped and over-valued driver like Dale Jr would be out on his ass like he should be.

Plus imagine how much more in-depth the coverage would be for the final race if the network only had 4 cars to concentrate on. How about a quad view screen with all 4 car cams?

Awesome...

a 4 car race eliminates a LOT of the skill involved in the sport
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

View PostXxBMW85xX, on 08 December 2010 - 01:08 PM, said:

a 4 car race eliminates a LOT of the skill involved in the sport

So does getting caught up in a 12 car accident caused by a rookie who's 29th in the standings.

Match races have a long and glorious history in racing. Probably the greatest race of all time was a horse racing match race...

HP Pavilion.

#13 sharkfriend

sharkfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

View PostWedge_Antilles, on 11 December 2010 - 11:01 AM, said:

So does getting caught up in a 12 car accident caused by a rookie who's 29th in the standings.

Match races have a long and glorious history in racing. Probably the greatest race of all time was a horse racing match race...

You obviously know nothing about car racing, horse racing is a different sport , which , btw,  is a 12 horse field.If you don't have the experience , knowhow, and ability to come back from a car crash, , then you don't deserve to be the best.It is a major part of the sport.Do you think people come and watch because they know it will be an artistic ballet out there.They are hoping for the 29th place person, or 60th,or number 4 person to crash , and make it spectacular , please . . . .The best know how to  avoid it most often, and how the crew maintains the car during the race is a big factor.Simple solutions will just not attract the people, and sponsership would die out.

btw, I  would be more cautious in my everyday activities now, there is big money in this, and  you may have unwittingly (big surprise) :lol:  become a  target ...

#14 lotsashots

lotsashots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races a field of 43 cars with 36 races. When the Chase begins if they would eliminate all the non-contenders then that would amount to 31 cars,drivers and teams for 10 of those 36 races. NASCAR would never be so stupid as to lose the fans of those teams for 10 races. You could argue that true fans would still watch, but they would still lose a huge audience.
NASCAR would never even consider that. Just won't happen. Anyone even considering that it would enhance the racing does not either follow the sport or understand it. Most likely both.
Granted at the smaller tracks such as Bristol or Martinsville a smaller field (perhaps 10 less cars) would probably make the racing a little more interesting.

#15 Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:20 AM

View Postlotsashots, on 13 December 2010 - 08:29 AM, said:

The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races a field of 43 cars with 36 races. When the Chase begins if they would eliminate all the non-contenders then that would amount to 31 cars,drivers and teams for 10 of those 36 races. NASCAR would never be so stupid as to lose the fans of those teams for 10 races. You could argue that true fans would still watch, but they would still lose a huge audience.
NASCAR would never even consider that. Just won't happen. Anyone even considering that it would enhance the racing does not either follow the sport or understand it. Most likely both.
Granted at the smaller tracks such as Bristol or Martinsville a smaller field (perhaps 10 less cars) would probably make the racing a little more interesting.
'Because the public wants it' is NEVER a good reason for doing something in sports.

That kind of thinking is what lead to things like netting behind the goals, car of tomorrow, instigator penalties etc etc. Listening to uproar and outrage makes the sport worse.

What's good for the sport is rarely what the public wants...

HP Pavilion.

#16 lotsashots

lotsashots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

View PostWedge_Antilles, on 13 December 2010 - 09:20 AM, said:

'Because the public wants it' is NEVER a good reason for doing something in sports.

That kind of thinking is what lead to things like netting behind the goals, car of tomorrow, instigator penalties etc etc. Listening to uproar and outrage makes the sport worse.

Where did that quote come from? I never mentioned anything about what the public wants.
Most fans have their favorite driver(s) and if their favorite driver(s) aren't racing are they going to watch on TV or go to the race? No. You lose the fans you are going to lose the revenue. Less is not more, or better in this case.

#17 XxBMW85xX

XxBMW85xX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

View PostWedge_Antilles, on 13 December 2010 - 09:20 AM, said:

Are you talking about the netting above the glass at hockey games? Why is that a bad thing? (Note: I've only sat behind the nets twice in my life and both times it was front row. so I am not sure of how much of a viewing obstruction they are but I'm assuming that is the problem)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

View Postlotsashots, on 13 December 2010 - 10:53 AM, said:

Where did that quote come from? I never mentioned anything about what the public wants.

A lie.

View Postlotsashots, on 13 December 2010 - 08:29 AM, said:

NASCAR would never be so stupid as to lose the fans of those teams for 10 races. You could argue that true fans would still watch, but they would still lose a huge audience.
NASCAR would never even consider that.

HP Pavilion.

#19 lotsashots

lotsashots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

View PostWedge_Antilles, on 14 December 2010 - 08:10 PM, said:

A lie.
So you think NASCAR would want to lose fans? Hence revenue. Ain't gonna happen.
Fans want to see their driver race or they're not going to watch.

#20 Wedge_Antilles

Wedge_Antilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

View Postlotsashots, on 14 December 2010 - 09:10 PM, said:

So you think NASCAR would want to lose fans? Hence revenue. Ain't gonna happen.
Fans want to see their driver race or they're not going to watch.
Smart leagues sometimes need to make decisions that are unpopular with the fans but are good for the sport.

The NHL shut down for an entire season in order to break the union and get spending under control. It was unpopular and 100% the right thing to do.

They also let ESPN walk and went with VS. Unpopular but 100% the right thing to do for the league.

You watch. The first time Jimmy JOohnson is taken out two weeks in a row in a wreck caused by guys not even in the chase, there will be calls for something similar to what I've described..

HP Pavilion.