Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

erock-1

Charter + NHL Center Ice-Out of Area Fans Shafted

79 posts in this topic

[quote name='Keonjen14 wrote:

Sam_Adelphia wrote:

Franklin_Turtle wrote:

SilverState14']Jen, Franklin, All

I should say that I am a long-time lurker, so I am familliar with both of you, though it appears that Franklin is from the Reno area and if so we should get together and have a beer sometime.

The Reno crew gets together one to three times a year.  RenoMike posted a thread for the opener but I couldn't make that get together.  We almost always have at lest one get together for the playoffs.  If you don't stick around drop me a pm with your e-mail and next get together I'll drop you an e-mail.  This goes for any other Reno/Carson folks.

Cheers

I've been trying to get the east coast gang together in a similar fashion for 2 years now.

I guess their not really true Sharks fan...
pimp.gif

All three of us? tongue.gif

The game on 15th in DC I'm already in weeds with.....Parent/Teacher Conference in the evening and Dentist appointment in the morning......the Gods didn't agree with this date, I'm sorry.

Bummer. Looking to score some cheap seats...

I received a phone call from Mary Grace of the Sharks organization today regarding the Comcast/Charter debacle.  She very elloquently explained that the Sharks are very concerned about the situation. She stated that she thought that Charter was back into negotiations as of last week but that Charter because of bankrupcy may not have the money to pay for the programming.  She also stated that Charter may not have the bandwidth to provide the extra channel lineup.  I asked her to look into the Sharks ability to allow Charter customers with Center Ice to watch the games without being blacked out.  She said she would look into it. 

I think we need to continue to send emails and make phone calls to Charter Communications....emails to neil.smit@chartercom.com and let them know we are going to go with satellite provider if they dont show the sharks games.  Also send emails to the Sharks and Comcast SportsNet California. It might be the catalyst for someone to say OK!!

Dont know if this is as much of a Charter issue as it is a Comcast issue or Sharks issue but, if you have Charter cable...they are the ones who put the program on your TV.... hit em where it hurts!!  Let them know you will switch providers if they dont get Comcast SportsNet California and the Sharks broadcasts!

Bergie--I just had what was substantially the same conversation with Mary, and made the same suggestion about Center Ice!

Great minds think alike.

Bergie--I just had what was substantially the same conversation with Mary, and made the same suggestion about Center Ice!

Great minds think alike.

Um, yeah, Mary and I are now really good friends. We spoke for over 30 minutes and she told me I really made an impression on her. I wonder if she dates older, happily married guys with kids? She told me she thought lifting the blackout could be more complicated than we think. It could be if they lift the blackout in a zip code, it may lift it for all providers. That wouldn't work too well considering the deals CI cut with DirecTV, Dish, etc. Essentially she said she didn't know if they could just lift the blackout for Charter customers in a specific zip code. She did tell me how great it is that they made the switch to CSNCA because they can now show 79 games and that is probably better than if they stuck with CSNBA. My reply was, "great for you guys, crappy for me. I am going from 79 games on CSNBA last year to 0 games this year, but hey, it's great for you guys."

I like Mary, she sounded cute on the phone. But Mary Grace? That sounds very Catholic.....wonder if she likes us heebs?

[quote name='ThatDood wrote:

SilverState14']Bergie--I just had what was substantially the same conversation with Mary, and made the same suggestion about Center Ice!

Great minds think alike.

Um, yeah, Mary and I are now really good friends. We spoke for over 30 minutes and she told me I really made an impression on her. I wonder if she dates older, happily married guys with kids? She told me she thought lifting the blackout could be more complicated than we think. It could be if they lift the blackout in a zip code, it may lift it for all providers. That wouldn't work too well considering the deals CI cut with DirecTV, Dish, etc. Essentially she said she didn't know if they could just lift the blackout for Charter customers in a specific zip code. She did tell me how great it is that they made the switch to CSNCA because they can now show 79 games and that is probably better than if they stuck with CSNBA. My reply was, "great for you guys, crappy for me. I am going from 79 games on CSNBA last year to 0 games this year, but hey, it's great for you guys."

I like Mary, she sounded cute on the phone. But Mary Grace? That sounds very Catholic.....wonder if she likes us heebs?

I used to be able to watch the SJ games on CI when I had DirectTV and I know they where blocked on Charter.  I can rail against this all I want and yell at customer service people or I can switch to DirectTV like I planned to do before the season started.  I have always had issues with Charter and this is the straw that broke the camels back.

[quote name='Franklin_Turtle wrote:

ThatDood wrote:

SilverState14']Bergie--I just had what was substantially the same conversation with Mary, and made the same suggestion about Center Ice!

Great minds think alike.

I used to be able to watch the SJ games on CI when I had DirectTV and I know they where blocked on Charter.  I can rail against this all I want and yell at customer service people or I can switch to DirectTV like I planned to do before the season started.  I have always had issues with Charter and this is the straw that broke the camels back.

I don't disagree, but I told Mary I am upset because this was all sprung on us with no time to switch service. She apologized when she told me I did have options. I told her I appreciated the apology, but I wanted to know if DirecTV could have been here Saturday or even today or if I call them today, will they be here tomorrow to set me up? Mary said she ought to be better versed on these subjects and I told her she should if she's going to tell me I have options. It was all very nice and I think she's fantastic with the customer service. I did ask for a fee t shirt or something and she said "how about the Stanley Cup?". I told her I was just in Toronto and saw it, so I don't really want that, I am far more interested in free items from the Sharks. She promised she would see what she can do.....

So, anybody know the turn around time on DirecTV? If I order today, will I get set up by this weekend?roll.gif

Well the Charter techs just left... It went how I thought it would. They told me there is nothing they can do to the box or my lines to lift a blackout.

DirecTV here I come...

Well the Charter techs just left... It went how I thought it would. They told me there is nothing they can do to the box or my lines to lift a blackout.

DirecTV here I come...

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/index.jsp

PM me and I'll give you my account #. We'll both get a $100 credit..

On the phone with he Charter Retention Dept. They are telling me they have been receiving a ton of calls about this issue. They are also telling me that Charter is "working on getting the problem resolved."

Franklin_Turtle wrote:

ThatDood wrote:

Great minds think alike.

I don't disagree, but I told Mary I am upset because this was all sprung on us with no time to switch service. She apologized when she told me I did have options. I told her I appreciated the apology, but I wanted to know if DirecTV could have been here Saturday or even today or if I call them today, will they be here tomorrow to set me up? Mary said she ought to be better versed on these subjects and I told her she should if she's going to tell me I have options. It was all very nice and I think she's fantastic with the customer service. I did ask for a fee t shirt or something and she said "how about the Stanley Cup?". I told her I was just in Toronto and saw it, so I don't really want that, I am far more interested in free items from the Sharks. She promised she would see what she can do.....

So, anybody know the turn around time on DirecTV? If I order today, will I get set up by this weekend?roll.gif

i recently went from comcast cable (benicia) to directv (even knowing we would not get versus) because of immense issues with the DTA boxes (somehow we lost espn, espn2, csnba, versus and golf channel among others - never got csnca to work)

their installers are kinda swamped, but it was installed within 3 days of ordering

so far so good on the service (we get the aforementioned channels except versus of course)

aside:  sorry east coast sharks fans - finished my degree so i moved back left (though if employment opportunities arise, i might be back... certainly not in huntington again though)

TRO

On the phone with he Charter Retention Dept. They are telling me they have been receiving a ton of calls about this issue. They are also telling me that Charter is "working on getting the problem resolved."

Despite some of the earlier posts, Charter has known about this for 6 months (April). If they haven't resolved it in 6 months, what do you think the chances are for a quick resolution?

I spend a lot of nights in bay area hotels. I'm finding that many of the hotels I visit have CSNBA but don't include CSNCA in their basic programming package. Its one thing to deal with your own personal programming at home... where you have some small bit of control. It's quite another to deal with one hotel after another, complaining to their management that their basic programming packages don't include CSNCA. Many have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm afraid it's going to be a slow... and ultimately losing battle. I'm very very unhappy!

randompro42 wrote:

i recently went from comcast cable (benicia) to directv (even knowing we would not get versus) because of immense issues with the DTA boxes (somehow we lost espn, espn2, csnba, versus and golf channel among others - never got csnca to work)

their installers are kinda swamped, but it was installed within 3 days of ordering

so far so good on the service (we get the aforementioned channels except versus of course)

aside:  sorry east coast sharks fans - finished my degree so i moved back left (though if employment opportunities arise, i might be back... certainly not in huntington again though)

TRO

Welcome back De La Salle. It's about time you got back to the Left Coast..

randompro42 wrote:

TRO

I'll hold down the fort. 

[quote name='Getafe22 wrote:

fugazi']
randompro42 wrote:

TRO

I'll hold down the fort. 

I think it's down to you, Sammy, Keonjen and Pashark. I have no idea what happened to Chuckles. Either he gave up on this new version of the board or that new "little biscuit" he met has distracted him.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that)..cool02.gif

[quote name='fugazi wrote:

Getafe22 wrote:

fugazi']
randompro42 wrote:

TRO

I'll hold down the fort. 

I think it's down to you, Sammy, Keonjen and Pashark. I have no idea what happened to Chuckles. Either he gave up on this new version of the board or that new "little biscuit" he met has distracted him.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that)..cool02.gif

This was the last post I saw from him: 

"wow this blows.

wtf is this charlemagne-1 nonsense? i was charlemagne on every team board, first on this one.

and i don't think i'm a moderator anymore.

i might just take my ball and go home."

I think he took his ball and went home. He hasn't pimped out any GDT's either. 

Great minds think alike.

You'r jewish?

That explains a lot.

Hey folks,

I am proudly displaying my Fliers sweater today--I am so fortunate that my Eastern conference team isn't blacked out! Even better, they are on Versus tonight with their great commentary and puck tracking abilities! Yeay!

All kidding aside, the folks at the office today are wondering what the hell I am doing in a Fliers sweater when it is the Sharks home opener tonight. Once I apprised them of the situation, I had one of the other "hockey nuts" agree to support the Boycott (even though he only goes to one game a year and is a Red Wings fan). Still, progress is progress, and he is going to Glendale to see his Wings play instead of the Tank.

So now we number 2.......

Hey folks,

I am proudly displaying my Fliers sweater today--I am so fortunate that my Eastern conference team isn't blacked out! Even better, they are on Versus tonight with their great commentary and puck tracking abilities! Yeay!

All kidding aside, the folks at the office today are wondering what the hell I am doing in a Fliers sweater when it is the Sharks home opener tonight. Once I apprised them of the situation, I had one of the other "hockey nuts" agree to support the Boycott (even though he only goes to one game a year and is a Red Wings fan). Still, progress is progress, and he is going to Glendale to see his Wings play instead of the Tank.

So now we number 2.......

Home opener is on Thursday.

%%@#, tonight is an away game! Here I was all fired up and I got it wrong! Oh well, chalk it up to inadequate media coverage and the inability to watch the season. It just means that I should be wearing the white sweater instead of the teal one, instead of the Flyers one.

My old roomate when I still lived in San Jose somehow bought a package where he could watch every Brewers game from his computer through the internet. Is there a way I can get Center Ice or an equivlant to it on my computer?